Policy for scheduling classroom space
(Updated: June 19, 2008)
Policies governing the scheduling of classroom space are as follows:
- Required single section courses with large enrollment should be scheduled first.
- Lecture-laboratory type courses should be scheduled next.
- Courses with more than one section should be assigned to as many different time periods as possible.
- Schedule courses that should not be taken during the same semester at the same time.
- Schedule courses that must be taken during the same semester at different times.
- Courses scheduled before 4 p.m.* must conform to the standard pattern time, i.e. three days per week on MWF, two days per week on TTH, and beginning and ending at the designated times.
- Schedule afternoon laboratories as late as possible to leave early afternoon time periods open for other classes.
- Large courses that are divided into smaller sections one or two days per week should be scheduled during off-peak hours.
- Departments should coordinate the scheduling of cognate and related requirements.
- Individual faculty members should not be permitted to teach all of their courses during peak hours, i.e. MWF 9:10, 10:20, 11:30, 1:50, TTH 9:35, 11:10.
- Departments should offer courses using a balanced curriculum, across all five days.
*Contact Registrar's Office for details