SUNY Oswego offers multiple start dates throughout the year, so you can apply when you are ready. Prospective students are encouraged to complete their applications a month in advance of their chosen semester start.

Deadlines and Requirements

View the graduate programs listing for additional details.

View Programs

Graduate Studies Home

Apply Now


From this portal, you can apply for graduate admission, as a non-matriculated student, or apply for a graduate scholarship, award, or fellowship.

Apply to a graduate program

The application for Graduate Studies requires all applicants to provide personal information, a statement of purpose or essay, resume, educational history (including official transcripts), and two or three recommendation letters.

Some programs also require an admission test such as GRE or GMAT, a portfolio of artwork, proof of teaching certification, or an advisement meeting.

A maximum of 9 credit hours of prior-to-admission coursework may be requested for transfer credit consideration for program application. Submit the Approval of Transfer Credit form for eligibility and consideration.

GMAT & GRE Prep Courses Help with the Miller Analogies Test

State University of New York (SUNY) policy prohibits SUNY Oswego admission applications from inquiring into an applicant's prior criminal history. After acceptance, the College shall inquire if the student previously has been convicted of a felony if such individual seeks campus housing or participation in clinical or field experiences, internships or study abroad programs. The information required to be disclosed under SUNY policy regarding such felony convictions shall be reviewed by a standing campus committee consistent with the legal standards articulated in New York State Corrections Law.

Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of certain academic programs and/or to meet licensure requirements for certain professions. Students who have concerns about such matters are advised to contact the Office of the Associate Provost.

Take a class as a non-matriculated student

The non-matriculated application requires personal information and educational history.

A transcript as proof of completion of a bachelor's degree is required for admission as a non-matriculated student. Candidates must upload a copy of an unofficial transcript during the application process. Transcripts must include the name of the degree granting institution. If your name appears different on the transcript, please notify Graduate Studies.

Non-matriculated students may take up to 9 credits unless approved for professional development status. Certain courses are reserved for matriculated students and therefore not available to non-matriculated students.


International Applicants

The application for international students follows the same guidelines as domestic applicants.

All non-native English speaking international students must submit either the TOEFL or IELTS score. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 is required; however, our MBA programs require 83.

Once an admission decision has been made, students receive a letter regarding the decision and a referral to the International Student and Scholar Services Office to coordinate the I-20 process.

In order to issue a Certificate of Visa Eligibility (Form I-20), the following three documents must be on file: a copy of the student's Passport ID, a completed SUNY International Student Financial Statement signed and stamped by the bank and/or sponsor as well as an original bank statement with a bank official's signature and stamp evidencing sufficient funds for one year of tuition.