Transfer Applicants

Whether you’re coming from a community college, other four-year institution or schooling abroad, we hope to provide maximum value for previously earned credits with minimum hassles, thanks to our excellent advisement and support services.

If you have earned at least 12 credit hours at another college or university, following graduation from high school, we consider you a transfer student. If enrolling with 24 or fewer credits, or no more than two full-time semesters completed, you may apply as an undecided major; to be considered you must complete an area of concentration formAll other applicants need to apply for an available major. If you apply Regular Decision, we encourage applying by January 15 (priority date) for the fall semester and before October 15 (priority date) for the spring. After these dates, all applicants are considered on a space-available basis.

Apply Now

Transfer students are advised to use the SUNY Application until the new Common Application for Transfers is fully implemented.

Common Application SUNY Application

Additional Information 

Transfer Admissions Criteria

While no exact formula for college acceptance exists, we can tell you that grades, test scores and essays are crucial in our decision — but we also look for more in our applicants. We search for students who are doers, makers, leaders and thinkers.

Academic Qualifications
  • A cumulative grade point average of 2.3 if you have completed 24+ hours for most majors.
  • A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 if you have 24 or fewer hours completed. Additionally, your high school record should reflect evidence of solid performance in core academic areas.
  • A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 if you are applying for biology or zoology.
  • A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 if you are applying for any majors leading to an education certification.
Transfer Application Checklist

Step 1. 

Apply online

Transfer students are advised to use the SUNY Application until the new Common Application for Transfers is fully implemented. The application requires a non-refundable $50 fee. 

Step 2.

Submit transcripts

Submit all official college or university transcripts (transcripts must be submitted regardless of credits earned). If you’ve completed fewer than 24 credit hours at the time of application, also submit your high school transcript.

Step 3.

Additional Information

Because each transfer student has a unique educational background we may ask for these additional items to be included along with your application:

Midterm Grades

Transfer students currently taking college coursework may be required to submit midterm grades. Midterms can either be submitted through your school’s grade reporting system or by completing the printable SUNY Oswego Midterm Grade Report.

Transfer Application Supplement

We require transfer applicants with a gap in their educational history to complete the Transfer Application Supplement. Be sure to include all activities from high school graduation through the term for which you are applying for admission.

Other materials may be requested as needed.

Step 4.

Check application status

Once your application is received you will receive an email and mailing containing a user ID and PIN to access the application status checker to see what information we’ve received and what is still needed. 

Transfer of Credits

If you’re considering transferring to Oswego, our admissions counselors would be happy to work with you to determine what credits you may transfer from your previous school. All course work completed with a passing grade from regionally accredited institutions (SUNY or Non-SUNY) will transfer to Oswego, as described in the Requirement Guides for Transfer Students .  A vast number of course to course equivalencies have already been determined for both SUNY and non-SUNY colleges and universities.  You can access these equivalencies through the Transfer Course Guide.  If you have questions about how your credits will transfer, you can request an evaluation at any point in the admissions process by contacting the Admissions Office.  Official degree audits are completed within 1-2 weeks of admission to ensure you have the necessary information to make informed decisions.  

Articulation Agreements

SUNY Oswego works closely with numerous partner institutions through articulation agreements.  These are agreements that exist between two educational institutions to ensure efficient, effective transfer and guarantee continuous progress in degree completion. Both general and program specific articulations exist. We offer an online list of the many institutions with which SUNY Oswego has articulation agreements.

Program-to-program articulation aims to provide smooth transition in parallel programs, minimum time in completing the bachelor’s degree and maximum transfer of credits. If you have attended another SUNY school, you can see which classes there will satisfy General Education requirements at Oswego by accessing SUNY’s approved courses page.

The general articulation agreement allows students completing associate degrees to have particular general education requirements waived. Students who enter under the General Education 21 requirements with an AA, AS, or AAS degree from a SUNY institution that have completed three years of high school level foreign language or 101 level of a foreign language are exempt from any remaining foreign language requirements at SUNY Oswego. Students that don’t fit either of those requirements but have completed an associate’s degree from a SUNY institution are only required to take 101 level of a foreign language at SUNY Oswego. For more information on these requirements, visit our General Education page.

If you are transferring from institutions outside of the SUNY system, SUNY Oswego aims to provide maximum value for previously earned credits with minimum hassles.  If you complete a program deemed equivalent to the 30 credit SUNY general education program from any regionally accredited institution,you will be exempt from all remaining SUNY Oswego General Education requirements.    

Oswego will tentatively accept transfer credit from non-accredited institutions.  After you successfully complete one full-time semester at Oswego, the equivalency credits will be determined by the Registrar upon consultation with the major department.  

For more information on the transfer process, contact the Office of Admissions at 315.312.2250 or email one of our transfer counselors at



229 Sheldon Hall


Phone: 315-312-2250
Fax: 315-312-3260


8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday