Transfer Students

Applicants who have registered for at least 12 credit hours at another college or university, following graduation from high school, are considered transfer applicants.

If enrolling with 24 or fewer credits, or no more than two full-time semesters completed, you may apply as an undecided major; to be considered you must complete an area of concentration form. All other applicants need to apply for an available major.

Transferring credits

Admissions counselors are happy to work with you to determine what credits you may transfer from your previous institution. A vast number of course to course equivalencies have already been determined for both SUNY and non-SUNY colleges and universities, available in the Transfer Course Guide. If you have questions about how your credits will transfer, you can request an evaluation at any point in the admissions process by contacting


Rolling admission is offered as space remains available. Applicants are encouraged to submit all of their documents by May 15 for the Fall (August) semester, or November 15 for the Spring (January) semester. Please submit your application as soon as possible for priority consideration.

Apply online

Application fee

 $50 non-refundable application fee payable to SUNY ASC

Required documents

The following documents are required as part of your application for admittance to SUNY Oswego:

  1. All official college or university transcripts (transcripts must be submitted regardless of credits earned). If you’ve completed fewer than 24 credit hours at the time of application, also submit your high school transcript.
  2. SUNY International Student Financial Statement (FSA-4 form) and official bank statement.
  3. Proof of English proficiency levels, generally through TOEFL or IELTS. For full degree admission, students must provide proof of minimum English proficiency scores of either 71 iBT TOEFL or 6.0 IELTS. Note that students transferring from another college or school within the USA may not be required to provide these scores as part of their application for admittance to SUNY Oswego.

IMPORTANT: Where applicable, a certified translation of the transcripts must be submitted. For evaluation of credit transfer, an applicant’s college must be accredited by the Ministry of Education in the home country, and the applicant may be required to provide a WES evaluation of the courses. There are many evaluation services to choose from. We recommend SpanTran (offers SUNY Oswego applicants a discounted rate) and World Education Services (WES).

Transferring from a university in the USA

In addition to the normal application process outlined above, if you are transferring to SUNY Oswego from a university within the United States, your SEVIS Form I-20 will have to be transferred from your current university to SUNY Oswego. You can only move forward with the process of transferring your I-20 once you have been admitted to SUNY Oswego, as you will need your acceptance letter to do so. The steps are as follows:

  1. Complete Part 1 of SUNY Oswego’s SEVIS Transfer-In Verification Form
  2. Present your acceptance letter from SUNY Oswego to your current university’s International Education Office
  3. A member of your current university’s International Education Office will have to complete Part 2 of SUNY Oswego’s SEVIS Transfer-In Verification Form
  4. Email the completed SEVIS Transfer-In Verification Form to

If you have completed all of these steps, your SEVIS Form I-20 should be successfully transferred electronically to SUNY Oswego.

Cost and scholarships for transfer students

Estimated costs are outlined here. For admitted students, please refer to your letter of acceptance to SUNY Oswego issued by the International Student and Scholar Services Office for a more precise estimate as to the cost of your tuition and other fees, minus any scholarships you received. This is the minimum amount that you will have to show proof of in your financial documentation.

All international students applying to SUNY Oswego are eligible to be considered for generous scholarships at the time of application. No separate scholarship application is required.

Learn More

IMPORTANT: Transfer students should complete their application for admission as early as possible for priority scholarship consideration.

Submitting application materials

You can email application materials directly to the International Student and Scholar Services Office at Additionally, materials may be mailed to the office at the address below:

International Student and Scholar Services
102 Sheldon Hall
SUNY Oswego,
Oswego, NY, 13126, USA