It’s important to know as much as possible about the organization you’re applying to as well as the position you’re applying for. Substantial research will give you a better idea whether you’d enjoy working there, as well as a better grasp on the position’s specific duties. Thorough research will also help write a more comprehensive and knowledgeable resume and cover letter. If you land an interview you’ll be more confident discussing how your experience and skills match with the organization’s needs to make an immediate contribution to the organization. Plus, many employers say it reflects interest and enthusiasm in the position.
Information to know
Here are a few basic facts to know about the organization you are applying and interviewing for:
- Who are their competitors?
- What is their reputation in the community and among their peers?
- When did the organization form?
- How many people do they employ?
- What are their latest initiatives and projects?
- Where are they located?
- What are their goals, values and mission?
- Are they a growing organization?
You can learn a lot about smaller companies by visiting their website and reading their mission statement and their goals.
Research publications available
- 500 Largest U.S. Corporations
- Accounting Firms Worldwide
- All in One Media Directory
- Almanac of American Employers
- America's fastest growing employers
- American Financial Directory
- American Research and Technology
- Conservation Directory
- Dir., American Zoos & Aquariums
- Directory of Publications and Broadcast Media
- Dunn's Regional Business Dir.
- Encyclopedia of Associations
- Foreign Firms in the U.S.
- Hoovers Guide-Computer Companies
- Human Service Directory
- Job Seekers Guide to Private and Public Companies
- Literary Marketplace
- Manufacturers Directories: FL, VA, DC, GA, MD, New England, NJ, SC, NC, PA, NY
- Nat'l Dir. - Drug, Alcohol and Addictions Treatment Centers
- Nat'l Dir. of Private Social Agencies
- Nat'l Dir. of Children, Youth and Family Services
- National Environmental Org.
- New England Env. Directory
- Oswego Community Service Directory
- Travel Industry Directory
- U.S. Firms in Foreign Countries
- World Chambers of Commerce