Ground transportation

 Vehicle rental

Vehicles should be rented only when in the best interest of the project or the Research Foundation. Some reasons for renting are: when it is the least costly alternative; it is the only mode of transportation available; or will eliminate substantial delays. Travelers should rent vehicles in the name of the Research Foundation to ensure that the Research Foundation and the traveler are covered by Research Foundation insurance.

  • The original vehicle rental invoice, any receipts, and justification for vehicle rental must be attached to the Travel Form claiming reimbursement.  Please consult the full Travel Handbook for further detail.
  • Only program-affiliated persons may ride along; family, friends, and non-project individuals are not covered by insurance. 
  • Only authorized personnel may drive rental vehicles. All drivers must be RF employees, and cleared through ORSP prior to travel.
  • If a personal credit card is used to rent the vehicle, the rental documents should clearly show that the vehicle is rented on behalf of the Research Foundation.  This will eliminate any confusion regarding liability for coverage in the event of an insurance claim. If a personal credit card is used, that individual must also be the main driver.

Reimbursable expenses:  Tolls, parking fees, fuel, vehicle rental.  Please keep and submit all receipts.

Insurance offered by rental agencies (rental agencies may offer the following types of insurance for short-term vehicle rentals):

  • Damage waiver protection: Damage waiver protection coverage, also known as loss-damage waiver (LDW) or collision damage waiver (CDW), is available and MUST be purchased for all short-term vehicle rentals. This cost is generally an allowable charge to the sponsored program account. [Please note that insurance (damage waiver and liability protection) is now included in the Enterprise contract.]
  • Personal effects insurance: Insurance for personal items is the responsibility of the individual. It is not an allowable charge against the sponsored program award and is not covered under the insurance policies of the RF. (Personal items do not include sponsored program research equipment insured under the RF floater policy.)
  • Personal accident insurance and liability insurance: Personal Accident Insurance should not be purchased upon rental of the vehicle (it is not an allowable cost, because RF employees, program volunteers, and program participants are covered under Workers' Compensation Policy). It is not necessary to purchase additional liability coverage from the vehicle rental agency. Vehicles rented under short-term rental agreements are afforded primary liability coverage under the RF's hired automobile insurance policy.
    • Reporting accidents; All accidents must be reported to the following:
      • The rental agency: Report all accidents immediately. The authorized driver is also required to complete the agency's accident report form. Failure to comply with the requirements of the rental agency for reporting an accident or damage to the rental vehicle could result in the driver being held personally liable for any costs.
      • RF Central Office: Report to the Office of the Chief Financial Officer by calling 518.434.7052; faxing information to 518.935.6712; or emailing
      • ORSP: Report to ORSP by calling 315.312.2888; faxing information to 315.312.3177, or emailing
    • Claims: All claims must be forwarded to the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The information can be faxed to 518.935.6712, or sent via email to The RF's insurance carrier reserves the right to deny coverage due to late reporting of a claim.

Taxi and public transportation
Travelers should use the most economical means of transportation whenever possible.
Documentation Requirements:  Please keep all receipts and submit to ORSP. Costs must be recorded on the Travel Form.

Taxi: The cost incurred for the use of taxicabs is reimbursable with receipts.
Public transportation: The cost of necessary bus or subway trips is reimbursable. Please obtain receipts, or if not available, obtain a route schedule to document rates.

Train or bus
Travel by train or bus should be by coach if the one-way distance is 200 miles or less. Rail travel in excess of 200 miles one way may be first/business class. For first/business class, chair accommodations must be used during the day and roomette accommodations may be used for overnight travel.

Documentation Requirements:  Ticket stubs as well as receipts for any additional costs (such as tolls, parking, or mileage) must be attached to the Travel Form. If sleeping or parlor car accommodations are used, justification must be attached to the form.

Revised 07/29/2015