School of Education

Required Workshops

Additional Navigation

School of Education

Candidates completing initial Teacher Education certification programs must complete seven (7) state-mandated workshops in order for SUNY Oswego to recommend you for certification. See the table below for a list of the NYS mandated workshops.

Candidates completing the CAS in Educational Leadership and initial certification in School Counseling and School Psychology must complete the DASA 1020 workshop course to be recommended for certification.

SSHS 1020 course satisfies 6 of those workshops.  You will register for this course through MyOswego during the semester recommended by your academic advisor.

The DASA 1020 workshop course will satisfy the seventh workshop. DASA 1020 is a 6 hour class of which 3 hours must be face-to-face.

If you do not take DASA 1020 at SUNY Oswego, you must take it with another approved provider. Go to the NYSED DASA-applicant website for a list of these approved locations.  Candidates who complete the DASA workshop elsewhere need to submit the original Certification of Completion to Shelly St. John in the Registrar's Office at 301 Culkin Hall to have it entered in their records. If for any reason a student does not have the original certificate and they verify that it has been uploaded to the TEACH website, the student can send an email that includes their student ID number to

For registration and scheduling details, go the the DASA/Safe Schools page.

Course State-Mandated Workshop
SSHS 1020 Child Abuse Recognition and Reporting
School Violence Prevention and Intervention (SAVE)
Fire and Arson Prevention
Highway Safety and Traffic Regulations and School Safety Patrols
Child Abuse Prevention
Prevention of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Abuse
DASA 1020 Dignity for All Students Act workshop (DASA)

Be sure to hold onto your originals or copies of your workshop, participation or seminar completion certificates. When Oswego recommends you for certification, this will verify your completion of the requirement.  You may also need the copies if you are applying for additional certifications or applying for certification in another state.