School of Education

You are here


Additional Navigation

SUNY Oswego has a range of initial and professional certification programs in teaching, school counseling, school psychology, and educational administration at the undergraduate and graduate level. All programs are approved by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and the Board of Regents and accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).  We also offer a variety of programs leading to other national certifications, (e.g. mental health counseling and wellness).

The Associate Registrar acts as the Certification Officer on behalf of the Dean of the School of Education for all NYSED certification programs and recommends program completers for the appropriate certification upon completion of an approved teacher preparation, school counseling, school psychology or educational administrative program. 

NYSED has additional criteria for obtaining certification, including passing scores on New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCE); US citizenship or appropriate visa status; and good moral character (confirmed by fingerprinting and a criminal background check).  Please see the Fingerprinting page for details.

Effective in 2014, NYSED revised the requirements for certifications.  Review the new requirements here.

Have you already applied for your certificate, completed your NYS tests and been fingerprinted? Find out the status of your certificate at TEACH.

UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS - Contact the Registrar's Office for additional certification information:
Shelly St. John, Associate Registrar
301 Culkin Hall, SUNY Oswego
Oswego, NY 13126

GRADUATE/CAS STUDENTS - Contact the Graduate Studies Office for additional certification information:
Gale Law-Folds, Secretary
606 Culkin Hall, SUNY Oswego
Oswego, NY  13126

If you have additional questions, contact the NYSED Office of Teaching Initiatives at, call the Tech Helpline at (518)486-6041, fax TEACH at (518)474-6950, or go to the TEACH website.