International Health Insurance

All participants in SUNY study abroad programs are required to have health insurance while overseas. You will automatically be enrolled in the mandatory SUNY study abroad health coverage through United Health Care (UHC) which includes health insurance coverage AND emergency assistance coverage including evacuation and repatriation benefits.  Insurance costs are included within the program differential (the program cost billed by the Office of International Education and Programs).

Find information in the SUNY International Study Abroad Policy (PDF) or at

Note: When choosing the school, please choose SUNY Oswego, even if it is not your home campus.

How to Access your Insurance Card

You will be enrolled by the Office of International Education and Programs prior to departure. Once you are enrolled, you will receive an email to the address you have provided on your study abroad application. This email will come from Please note this email may go directly to your spam folder, so please add this email to your contacts.

Once you receive your email, please follow the steps below:

  1. Visit A link should be included in your email.

  2. Click “Create Account”.

  3. Enter your information. Your student ID number is the ID number you provided on your study abroad application.

Within this account, you can access your card and print it. You will not be receiving a hard copy card so it is your responsibility to log in and retrieve a copy for your records.  This insurance begins the date of your departure from the US, so it is recommended you take care of this before you leave so that this information is accessible during your travels.

This insurance will end on the last day of your program.  If you wish to extend coverage, please contact UHC directly.

UHC Global Intelligence Center

My Account Overview

Accessing Medical Care Overseas

For pre-trip planning or if you are outside of the USA and you need to locate a doctor abroad or have an emergency, please call UHC Global 24/7 at 844-249-0748. UHC Global can also arrange for direct pay for a provider that you see oversees if you call this phone number. 

Note that you cannot access the UHC site until you have been enrolled in the insurance and activated an account. If you have questions prior to that please contact our office. Once you are enrolled and have set up an account, familiarize yourself with all the services and resources they provide before you go.

Keep in Mind

Think carefully before canceling other health insurance you may have. SUNY study abroad health insurance coverage is not valid in the US. We recommend that you keep some sort of domestic health insurance in effect in case you need to return home unexpectedly from abroad for any reason.

Non-Oswego students: Your home campus may have its own mandatory domestic health coverage rules; please contact the Study Abroad Office or insurance coordinator at your home campus for specific information and/or instructions and we will work with your campus to satisfy their requirements.