Concept Mapping is an alternative to using an outline format in academic studies. Instead of a linear state, concept maps are graphical tools that help to organize and represent knowledge. Concepts are outlined in boxes of some sort and associated with other concepts with linking lines. Words are written on the "linking line," which specify the relationship between the concept. This way of organizing information allows for each concept to associated with many other concepts.
Creating Concept Maps in Google Docs:
Concept maps can be created in Google Docs using the Drawing feature to insert shapes, lines, and text. These maps can be stored on Google Drive for free for an unlimited amount of time, and can be exported into many different file types.
Free Web-Based Tools:
- Bubbl.us - runs in Flash
- Prezi - upgrade for a fee, also commercial desktop software for Win/Mac/Linux
Free Desktop Software:
- CMap Tools - Construct, navigate, and share concept maps
- Freemind - Create and share concept maps
- Visual Understanding Environment (VUE) - Open-source, concept mapping application
- Xmind - Create, share, and export concept maps.
Commercial Desktop Software:
- Concept Mapping - Marcia Burrell and Matt Spindler, April 8, 2009
- "Creating Diagrams or Concept Maps with Google Docs in Google Drive | Dutton Institute Resources Site." Creating Diagrams or Concept Maps with Google Docs in Google Drive | Dutton Institute Resources Site.
- "IHMC CmapTools." CmapTools.
- "FreeMind - free mind mapping software" - FreeMind.
- "Ten popular concept mapping tools." NspireD2 Learning Technology in Higher Ed.
- "The Most Popular Mind Mapping Tool." XMind: The Most Professional Mind Map Software.
- "The Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct and Use Them." The Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct and Use Them.
- "Visual Understanding Environment." Visual Understanding Environment.