James A. MacKenzie
Professor, Department Chair
WebsiteDr. MacKenzie's expanded website
Meetings can be scheduled in the Biological Sciences office (315.312.2771 or 392 Shineman).
- Environmental heavy metals and cardiovascular changes in children
- Effects of PCBs on fish and mussels
- Intracellular protein trafficking to mitochondria
- molecular and cellular biology
- human health and disease
* undergraduate research student, ** graduate research student
- Blodgett J.**, D. Walter*, J.A. MacKenzie, B.B. Gump and K. Bendinskas. (2017) Both Hair Cortisol and Perceived Stress during Fall Exams Decrease after the Winter Break. Austin Biochem. 2(1): 1007.
- Gump, B.B., E. Gabrikova*, K. Bendinskas, A.K. Dumas, C.D. Palmer, P.J. Parsons, and J.A. MacKenzie (2014) Low-Level Mercury in Children: Associations with Sleep Duration and Cytokines TNF-α and IL-6. Environmental Research, 134:228-232.
- Miura, Y.*, E. Yeager*, J.A. MacKenzie, and K. Bendinskas (2014) Proteomic study of ribosomal proteins from E. coli, S. cerevisiae, B. Taurus, G. gallus, and O. tshawytscha and its application in a teaching laboratory setting. American Journal of Undergraduate Research, 12(1):27-37.
- Wang, F.*, C. Chmil*, F. Pierce*, K. Ganapathy, B. Gump, J.A. MacKenzie, Y. Metchref, and K. Bendinskas (2013) Immobilized Metal Affinity Chromatography and Human Serum Proteomics. Chromatography B, Biological Applications, 934: 26-33.
- Gump, B.B.^, J.A. MacKenzie^, A.K. Dumas, C.D. Palmer, P.J. Parsons, Z.M. Segug, Y.S. Mechref, and K.G. Bendinskas (2012) Fish Consumption, Low-Level Mercury, Lipids, and Inflammatory Markers in Children. Environmental Research, 112: 204-211. ^Authors contributed equally to this paper.
- Bendinskas, K., P.S. Sattelberg*, D.J. Crossett*, A. Banyikwa**, D. Dempsey**, and J.A. MacKenzie (2011) Enzymatic Detection of Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate (GHB) Using Aldo-keto Reductase 7A2. Journal of Forensic Sciences, 56 (3): 783-787.
- Gump, B.B., J.A. MacKenzie, K.G. Bendinskas, R. Morgan, A.K. Dumas, C.D. Palmer and P.J. Parsons. (2011) Low-level Pb and Cardiovascular Responses to Acute Stress in Children: The Role of Cardiac Autonomic Regulation. Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 33(2):212-219.
- Birdsall, R.E.**, M.P. Kiley*, Z.M. Segu, C.D. Palmer, M. Madera, B.B. Gump, J.A. MacKenzie, P.J. Parsons, Y. Mechref, M.V. Novotny, and K.G. Bendinskas (2010) Effects of Lead and Mercury on the Blood Proteome of Children. Journal of Proteome Research, 9(9):4443-4453.
- MacKenzie, J.A., K.A. Roosa*, B.B. Gump, A.K. Dumas, and K.G. Bendinskas. (2010) Plasma Prekallikrein Levels are Positively Associated with Circulating Lipid Levels and the Metabolic Syndrome in Children. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 35(4):518-525.
- Nautiyal, M.**, A.J. Sweatt, J.A. MacKenzie, R.M. Payne, S. Szucs, R. Matalon, R. Wallin, and S.M. Hutson (2010) Neuronal localization of the mitochondrial protein NIPSNAP1 in rat nervous system. European Journal of Neuroscience, 32(4):560-569.
- Bosch, W.C., J.L. Hester, V.M. MacEntee, J.A. MacKenzie, T.M. Morey, J.T. Nichols, P.A. Pacitti, B.A. Shaffer, S.P. Weber, and R.R. Young, (2008) Beyond Lip-service: An Operational Definition of "Learning-centered College." Innovative Higher Education, 33(2):83-98.
- MacKenzie, J.A. and R.M. Payne (2007) Mitochondrial Protein Import and Human Health and Disease. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1772(5):509-523.
- MacKenzie, J.A. and R.M. Payne (2006) Preparation of Ribosomes Loaded with Truncated Nascent Proteins to Study Ribosome Binding to Mitochondria. Mitochondrion, 6(2):67-75.
- MacKenzie, J.A. and R.M. Payne (2004) Ribosomes Specifically Bind to Mammalian Mitochondria via Protease-sensitive Proteins on the Outer Membrane. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 279(11):9803-9810.
- Del Gaizo, V.B., J.A. MacKenzie, and R.M. Payne (2003) Targeting Proteins to Mitochondria Using TAT. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, 80(1-2):170-180.
Ph.D., Molecular Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine
M.S., Biology, Western Carolina University
B.S., Biology, SUNY Fredonia