When a spill does occur, it is necessary to take prompt and appropriate action.
Major spill procedures
- Notify others in your area that a spill has occurred.
- Evacuate the room, floor or building as necessary. Do not hesitate to pull the fire alarm if necessary to evacuate the building.
- Call 911 from a campus phone to report the spill.
- For flammable materials, turn off all ignition sources.
- Close doors to the area where the spill occurred.
- Limit access to the area.
- Stand by the area outside the building until help arrives, a minimum of 300 feet away.
- Report the spill to your supervisor and to Environmental Health and Safety at x3150.
Provide the following when reporting a spill:
- Personal injuries, if any
- Location of the spill (building and room number)
- Name of material(s) involved (spell clearly and slowly)
- The amount of material spilled
- Immediate actions taken
- How spill occurred (if known or suspected)
- Who first noticed spill and at what time
- Call-back number(s)
Minor spill procedures:
- Notify others in the area that a spill has occurred.
- Prevent others from coming in contact with the spilled chemical(s).
- Wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE) such as goggles, gloves, etc. before cleanup.
- Try tp prevent spilled chemicals from entering waterways by building a dike around the access points (sink, cup sinks, floor and outside storm drains). Spread absorbent material on and around the spill to absorb the chemical(s).
- Sweep up the absorbed spill from the outside toward the middle. Scoop up and deposit in a leak-proof container. Label and dispose of the container through the hazardous waste management program.
- Wash the contaminated surface with soapy water. Report the spill to Environmental Health and Safety at x3150 and to your supervisor.
Fluorescent light fixtures/PCB awareness--spills of leaks from fluorescent light fixtures:
- Caution! Light fixtures manufactured prior to 1980 may have ballasts that contain polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) or mercury.
- Isolate the leak/spill area to prevent people from coming in contact with the spilled material.
- Contact Facilities Services at x3200 for cleanup by trained campus personnel.