Opened in 1968, Tyler Hall functions as the main academic building on campus for the Art, Music, and Theatre Programs. It also serves as the home to the Tyler Art Gallery and Waterman Theater, both of which are used by the Oswego community and the academic departments for exhibitions and performances.

Type

  • Academic

Departments

Facilities

  • Ceramic Studio
  • Choral Rehearsal Room
  • Classrooms
  • Computer Lab
  • Costume Shop
  • Design Studio
  • Digital Print Lab
  • Drawing Studio
  • Instrumental Rehearsal Room
  • Music Practice Studio
  • Painting Studios
  • Photo Print Lab
  • Photo Studio
  • Piano Lab
  • Printmaking
  • Recording Studio
  • Schene Shop
  • Sculpture Studio
  • Theater Lab
  • Tyler Art Gallery
  • Waterman Theater
  • Woodshop
  •  

     

    History

    Function
    Opened in 1968, Tyler Hall functions as the main academic building on campus for the Art, Music, and Theatre Programs. It also serves as the home to the Tyler Art Gallery and Waterman Theater, both of which are used by the Oswego community and the academic departments for exhibitions and performances. Tyler Hall closed in May of 2014 to receive major upgrades and reopened for classes in fall 2016. The opening is a rolling completion, with select rooms still being worked on and becoming accessible as they are completed.

    Namesake
    Tyler Hall was named in honor of James Gale Tyler, a famous painter from Oswego from the late-1800s and early-1900s who worked primarily with seascapes. Though Tyler did not carry out his career in Oswego, he did live in the area until he moved to New York City in 1870, at 15, to carry out his career. During his early days as a painter, Tyler apprenticed for a time under Archibald Cary Smith, where he took his only formal painting lessons. Though Tyler was well-known in his day for his impressionistic work, more than 100 forgeries were created bearing his name, eventually forcing him to take legal action.