Photo taken at the "Kick the Nic" event hosted on the quad by SUNY Oswego public relations capstone students in April 2013.
Quitting tobacco is hard work. At SUNY Oswego, we recognize many members of our community have tried to quit in the past or wish to quit for the first (and hopefully the last) time.
Following are resources the Clean Air Committee believes can be beneficial and cost-effective to you, especially if you've been thinking, "Wouldn't it be nice to say smoking is something I used to do?"
Mary Walker Health Center offers:
- New York state booklets with information on how to quit and be successful with it
- OzQuits! publications for the college's January 1 smoke-free/tobacco-free policy
- Tobacco cessation counseling; starting this summer, faculty and staff may call appointments for confidential counseling on kicking the tobacco habit
- Nicotine patches, gum and lozenges for (at this time) students
- Support through the Great American Smoke Out and Kick Butts events
For more information about these services, call 315.312.4100.
Employee Assistance Program offers:
- Confidential employee assistance services
- Smoking-cessation workshops
For more information about these services, call 866-879-5591.
Oswego Health offers:
- Smoking cessation counseling done on an individual basis.
To schedule an appointment, call (315) 349-5513.
Tobacco-Free CNY offers:
- Information for tobacco-free resources throughout Central New York
Contact Integrated Community Planning: 315.343.2344 or Christina Wilson, Executive Director at email@example.com
New York State Smokers' Quitline offers:
- Information about how to quit
- Local services to make quitting a success
Call toll free 1.866.697.8487
- NYSHIP (Empire Plan coverage and smoking cessation treatments)
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield
- MVP Health Care
- GHI (Emblem Health)
* Your coverage may vary.
National Cessation Resources:
- The American Cancer Society
- The Centers for Disease Control - tobacco cessation resources
- American Heart Association tobacco cessation resources
- The American Lung Association
- Smokefree.gov's Step-By-Step Quit Guide
- Dip, snuff and chewing tobacco quit help
- Become An Ex
- WalMart's BluePrint to Quit
- my Quitplan
- Whyquit.com - videos on motivation, education and support
- Surgeon General.gov
- Medline Plus - National Institutes of Health
- Quitnet.com - find out how much lifetime and money you will save by quitting
- 25 Ways to Stop Smoking Cigarettes - Reader's Digest
- Make everyone proud
- Nicotine Anonymous