Why "Tobacco Free in 2015"?
- SUNY Oswego as a higher education community cares genuinely about the quality of life -- with health and safety at its heart -- of all of its community members.
- The college is committed to providing a safe and healthy working, living and learning environment.
- It is with a sense of global responsibility, as well, that we as a community address the significant health risk to everyone.
- We recognize the findings established by the U.S. Surgeon General, Centers for Disease Control, Environmental Protection Agency and World Health Organization: Tobacco is a profound cause of deadly diseases, both to tobacco users and non-users.
- Multiple studies show secondhand smoke is a significant contributor to disease, and all direct forms of tobacco are now known to be harmful and highly addictive.
- Tobacco use, therefore, would be inconsistent with our educational mission to advance the quality of life for all our citizens.