Physics faculty member Carolina Ilie and physics students Ian Evans, pictured above, and Benjamin Swanson received the 2017 National Science Foundation summer fellowship with the Research Experience for Faculty and Students at Undergraduate Institutions program of the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) focused on polarization and spin phenomena in nanoferroic structures at University of Nebraska at Lincoln. UNL is one of the few universities that has the MRSEC program and is one of the most active departments in condensed matter physics. The students will work at UNL for 10 weeks in professor Peter Dowben's laboratories and Ilie will join them for five weeks. It is the second year Ilie received this fellowship; last year Julia D'Rozario and Nicholas Noviasky were part of the program.
Physics professor and chair Shashi Kanbur and a number of Oswego-connected researchers have poster presentations April 15 at the SUNY Undergraduate Research conference at Fredonia:
- “Determining Periods of Variable Stars from the OGLE IV Catalogue” by Dylan Richmond, Kyle Bautista and Kanbur
- “Automating Metallicity Calculations of RR Lyrae Stars Using Phase Parameters with Python” by Justin Ortega, Zachary Alessandro, Benjamin Kratz, Laszlo Molnar, Emus Plechy, Robert Szabo and Kanbur
- “Additional Modes of RR Lyrae Variable Stars” by Kratz, Ortega, Alessandro, Molnar, Plethi, Szabo and Kanbur
- “Asteroseismology of the Stars” by Kenny Roffo, Earl Bellinger, George Angelou, Saskia Hekker and Kanbur
- “The Development of Fast, Real Time Methods to Analyze LSST Supernovae Data” by Marcello Cierro, Rahul Biswas, James Early and Kanbur.
Neelika Jayawardane of the English and creative writing faculty has several publications, essays and reviews including
- “Abstracting the savaged body of Emmett Till” in Al Jazeera’s Opinion section on April 3
- “No Shore in Sight: Precarious Journeys and Unbearable Passages in the Moving Image Installations of Candice Breitz and Mohau Modisakeng.” Catalogue essay for the South Africa Pavilion, at the 57th International Art Exhibition of La Biennale di Venezia
- “Photography as Travel Memoir: Itinerancy, Movement, and Subjectivity Formation in Kenyan photographer Mimi Cherono’s Work,” a catalogue essay for Walther Collection
- “When the River of Life Nears Zero Time: Vibha Galhotra’s (In)Sanity In The Age Of Reason,” a catalogue essay for solo show, (In)Sanity In The Age Of Reason, in March 2017
- “Liminal Horizons: Joël Andrianomearisoa’s 'When the day belongs to the night,'” a catalogue essay for Joel Andrianomeriosoa’s work at the India Art Fair
- “Precarious Bricoleurs: Simphiwe Ndzube’s Becoming,” a catalogue essay for Simphiwe Ndzube’s solo exhibition
- “Dreaming of Transcendence: Andrew Tshabangu’s Photography,” a catalogue essay for a retrospective exhibition, Andrew Tshabangu: Footprints, at the Standard Bank Gallery in Johannesburg
- “Otobong Nkanga: Transformations and Erasures,” an overview article in Art of Nigerian Women.
University Police Chief John Rossi was elected vice president of the Central New York Association of Chiefs of Police in March. The CNY organization is a regional affiliate of the New York State Association of Chiefs of Police with educational purposes to gather, disseminate and promote useful and necessary information to the law enforcement agencies of Central New York. The group’s ultimate aim and purpose is to develop a more efficient and effective law enforcement and criminal justice system.
To submit items for People in Action consideration, please email information to email@example.com. Deadline is Thursday before publication date.