Frequently Asked Questions

How do I login to myOswego?
How do I order a transcript?
Holds? What holds?
How do I get a certified transcript (Apostille)?
How do I get a certified copy of my diploma (Apostille)?
How do I add/drop/change my Major and/or minor?
How do I get something verifying my enrollment?
What is Proxy Access / How can I share information from myOswego?
Where is my transfer credit?
Why do you need my SSN?
How do I update my SSN?
How do I update my Address? Why bother?
My name has changed - How do I update my records?
I've missed some semesters and want to re-enroll at Oswego - what do I need to do?



Degree Audit (Degree Works):




Why do you need my SSN? Generally speaking, the Registrar's Office has no need for this information other than for verifying who you are. However, having an incorrect or no SSN on file will prevent you, lenders and potential employers from being able to get online Enrollment and Degree verifications. It can also prevent issuance of tax information.

How do I update my SSN? Bring your Social Security Card and a photo ID to the Registrar's Office (301E Culkin Hall) and fill out a SSN Change Form.

How do I update my Address? Why bother? Student addresses can be viewed and updated on the Personal Information tab in myOswego. Lack of a home address will prevent you, lenders and potential employers from being able to get online Enrollment and Degree verifications. Paper copies of important notifications, such as academic actions, are also mailed to home addresses.
Incoming students should contact the Office of Admissions (315-312-2250) to update their address.
Faculty and Staff should contact Human Resources (315-312-2215) to update their address.
Alumni should make address changes from OsweGoConnect or by contacting the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations (315-312-2258).

My name has changed - How do I update my records?  Bring the appropriate required documentation to the Registrar's Office, 301E Culkin Hall, and complete a Name Change Form
Required Documentation
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents:
1) Marriage License, Divorce Decree or Court Order AND
2) an updated Social Security Card reflecting the new name.
International Students who are NOT Permanent Residents:
1) Passport AND
2) other Official ID or documentation (e.g. marriage license) reflecting the new name.

When can I register? In myOswego , on the Registration Tab is a link "Check Your Registration Status" which will provide this information. General registration period information is also available here.  Times are also posted on our Registration page.

What's an Alternate ("Second") PIN and where do I get it? An Alternate (Second) PIN is required for certain groups of students in order to register. You can tell if you need an Alternate PIN to register by looking in myOswego on the Registration Tab and clicking the "Check Your Registration Status" link. A message of "You have an alternate PIN required for registration" will appear. See your Primary Advisor (also listed on the "Check Your Registration Status" page) to get the PIN.
Alternate PINS are required for:
First semester Freshmen,
First semester Juniors (students with 56-71 completed hours),
First Semester Transfer students, and
EOP students.

When are the deadlines for adding, dropping, withdrawing? General full-semester deadline dates are available here, and the College Calendar includes deadlines for all smaller parts of term (quarter courses).

What's the difference between a drop and a course withdrawal? Courses can be dropped during the drop period (typically the first three weeks of fall/spring classes - see Registration Dates) without showing on a transcript.  Course withdrawals happen after the drop period (see Registration Dates).  The course will show on your transcript with a 'W' grade. See "Course Drop versus Course Withdrawal" for semester-specific information.

I need to drop all my courses for this semester - what do I do?
During Fall and Spring terms, Matriculated (degree-seeking) Undergraduates need to contact the COMPASS (315-312-5522) and make appropriate arrangements for a College Withdrawal. The deadline for doing this without having to document extenuating circumstances is the same as the Course Withdrawal Period listed on the College Calendar. Withdrawal after the drop period will result in 'W' grades on your transcript. If you are registered and the semester has not started yet, you can email from your Oswego email account and indicate that you would like to cancel all of your course registration for the specific term. Be sure to include your student ID number.
Graduate students and non-degree Undergraduates can use the course drop/withdrawal process to drop all of their courses.
During Winter and Summer terms, all students can drop their last course online through the drop period. Drop periods vary depending on the length of the class, but typically run through the first day of class. No grades show on your transcript.  

When can I see my grades? Fall, Winter and Spring Semester grades are posted all at once. Even if your Instructor says all grades are in, they get posted at the same time as all others. The Registrar's Office will advertise the posting date on the main page of our website. Summer grades are posted at the end of each Summer term.

What's a 'Z' grade? A grade of 'Z' indicates that the instructor did not submit a grade before the grading deadline. They will need to submit an update.

Will I get a mailed grade report? SUNY Oswego mails paper copies of final grade reports only to students in academic difficulty (i.e. academic disqualification or warning). All students can print the screen from the View Final Grades or Unofficial Transcript items on the Student Records tab in myOswego.

Where can I see my Degree Works Audit? View your degree audit in myOswego. On the Student Records menu, click "Degree Works".

Do I have to take World Awareness Fine and Performing Arts? No. "Student Choice" GenEd courses may gather together under OPTION 1, but will migrate to whichever World Awareness Option you choose.

Do I need to run a new audit? No. Student information in Degree Works is refreshed overnight, every night. The "Last Audit" reflects the last time any new data (majors, grades, registration, advisors, etc.) were loaded. If updated data were loaded since the last time you looked at Degree Works, a fresh audit will automatically run and the "Last Audit" box will show "Today".

Where are my electives / where is my Learning Agreement? Learning Agreements and Electives taken under advisement will show when the information has been forwarded to the Registrar's Office by your Advisor. Please make these arrangements as early as possible to avoid graduation delays.

Why do I see a completed requirement with "< 4 credit equiv"? This shows when a transfer equivalent course less than 4 credits slots on a 4 credit hour requirement. It's important to note, as it may require additional credits to meet the overall credit hour requirements of the major/minor.

Why don't the "credits applied" equal what I see on my transcript? Not all credits you accumulate on a transcript count toward degree completion. For instance, MAX courses do not apply. Also, BA degrees have a limit of 54 hours allowed within the major discipline. Additional coursework will continue to accumulate on the transcript, but will go to "Not Counted" on the degree audit.

Why do I see "Still Needed: 0-1 credits"? Some requirements have a range of credits, like 3:4. If a 3 credit course fulfills the requirement, you may see this remainder advice but the Green Checkmark indicates that the requirement is fulfilled.

How do I add/drop/change my Major and/or minor?  To declare or add a major/minor, students need to speak with the appropriate Academic Department to start the process. Students should speak with their advisor before dropping a major or minor. Submit the "Declaration and Change of Major/Minor" form to the Registrar's Office (301 Culkin Hall).

Where is my transfer credit? Most transfer evaluation happens in Admissions. Transfer work evaluated in the Registrar's Office happens within 5 business days of the receipt of the transcript. If there are problems, we will contact you via your Oswego email address.  On your transcript, transfer course work appears in the left column as a lump-sum earned credit hours. In Degree Works, transfer credit will appear with a 'T' preceding the letter grade.

I'm a double major - will I get two degrees? No. Double majors are still pursuing one degree. SUNY Oswego allows the pursuit of just one Undergraduate degree at a time.

Where do I find information about the graduation ceremony (Commencement)? The College Book Store (315-312-2260) coordinates the Commencement Ceremony and has information available here.

How do I order my cap and gown? The College Book Store (315-312-2260) coordinates the Commencement Ceremony and has information available here.

When can I pick up my cap and gown? The College Book Store (315-312-2260) coordinates the Commencement Ceremony and has information available here.

Can I get extra tickets to the ceremony? Contact Auxiliary Services (315-312-2106).

When will I get my diploma? Diplomas are typically mailed 6-8 weeks after Commencement.

I'm a double major - will I get two diplomas? No. Diplomas codify the conferral of a degree (Baccalaureate, Masters, etc.), not completion of major requirements. Since SUNY Oswego allows for the pursuit and conferral of one degree at a time, it follows that only one diploma is issued at a time. 

Why didn't I get my diploma? On either the Student Records or Registration tabs in myOswego, click View Holds to see if you have any holds preventing transcripts. If there are no holds and it's been 8 or more weeks since Commencement, call us (315-312-2235).

Why is my Major not on my diploma? Majors are not printed on the diploma. The diploma is certification of the conferral of the degree (Baccalaureate, Master's). Your Transcript will indicate major(s) associated with the degree.