Brass Concert: Mark Kellogg, trombone & David Bamonte, trumpet
Mark Kellogg, principal trombone player of the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra and trombone professor at the Eastman School of Music, joins David Bamonte, associate principal trumpet in the Oregon Symphony and trumpet faculty at Portland State University, for a concert by top brass players of two major orchestras.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Thursday, March 23, 7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Rice Creek Story Hour
Tales of nature, animals’ wild ways and how people relate to the natural world. Designed for elementary-aged children, though all are welcome. SUNY Oswego's Rice Creek Field Station offers Story Hour in support of SUNY's partnership with the Read Aloud 15 Minutes national initiative. Free (program size is limited, unable to accommodate groups, an adult must accompany children 17 and under). 315-312-6677.
Location: Rice Creek Field Station
Saturday, March 25, 11 a.m. - noon
Men's Tennis vs. Hartwick
Location: Romney Tennis Courts
Wednesday, March 22, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Womens's Tennis vs. Wells
Location: Romney Tennis Courts
Saturday, March 25, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
The Honors Program consists of a core of six multi-disciplinary courses in the social sciences, the natural sciences, the humanities and philosophy, as well as several other courses in math, English and a foreign language.
Unlike traditional courses, which present material from a single field of study, Honors Program courses draw ideas and information from many fields, addressing concerns common to all disciplines and recognizing that there are no boundaries to thought and inquiry. Honors Program courses examine the historical and intellectual origins, growth and development of today’s issues, the connections among them, and their consequences for tomorrow. The program emphasizes small classes and the lively exchange of ideas in the classroom.
Honors Programs within Individual Major Programs
Honors programs have been instituted for outstanding students in the fields of biology, chemistry, economics, history, mathematics, meteorology, physics, political science and psychology. The eligibility requirements for these programs are rigorous, and the course work itself is beyond the scope of that of regular classes.
Students who meet the requirements are encouraged to apply for that program in their major field by the middle of their fourth semester. Interested students should consult the chairpersons of the respective departments offering honors programs.
One of the great academic achievements of any student is the election to an honor society in the student’s major field of interest. Oswego students have the opportunity to gain recognition by the following societies:
* Alpha Delta Omega, national public justice honor society
* Alpha Epsilon Rho, national broadcasting honor society
* Alpha Kappa Delta, national sociology honor society
* Alpha Psi Omega, national dramatics honor fraternity
* Alpha Sigma Lambda, national honor society in continuing higher education
* Delta Phi Alpha, national honor society in German
* Epsilon Pi Tau, international honor professional fraternity for education in technology
* Kappa Delta Pi, national honor society in education
* Kappa Mu Epsilon, national mathematics honor society
* Omicron Delta Epsilon, international honor society in economics
* Phi Alpha Theta, international history honor society
* Phi Delta Kappa, international professional fraternity for men and women in education
* Phi Sigma Iota, international foreign language honor society
* Pi Delta Phi, national honor society in French
* Pi Gamma Mu, national honor society in social sciences
* Pi Sigma Alpha, national honor society in political science
* Psi Chi, national honor society in psychology
* Sigma Delta Pi, national honor society in Spanish
* Sigma Pi Sigma, national honor society in physics
In addition students may be elected to:
* Omicron Delta Kappa, the national leadership honor society
* Phi Kappa Phi, international honor society to recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others
* Sigma Xi, national honor society of scientists and engineers that recognizes scientific achievement
* Tau Sigma, national academic honor society designed specifically to recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students
* Vega, the honor society for junior and senior women