Academic misconduct: Student conduct option

From the college policy:

"Instructors who determine that a student has engaged in an act of intellectual dishonesty may impose an academic penalty, including that of a failing grade for the course, on that student. The instructor may choose an alternative procedure and pursue disciplinary action through the administration of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct."

Faculty must choose between an academic penalty or pursuing disciplinary action. Academic penalties, as described in the sanctions guidelines document, are limited to failure for the course. Judicial disciplinary action may be as severe as suspension or expulsion. Academic penalties are appealed through Academic Affairs. Judicial disciplinary penalties are appealed through Student Affairs.

You may not impose an academic penalty (such as a failing grade for the course) and simultaneously pursue disciplinary action. You must assign an appropriate grade for the work in question (which might be a zero or an "E").

To pursue the judicial option, you should contact Becky Nadzadi in the Office of Student, Culkin Hall, 312.3378.

The section of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct that is most appropriate is the part that identifies conduct subject to disciplinary action:

"All forms of dishonesty which harm an individual member(s) of the college, the integrity of the academic programs or the educational interests and mission of the college, or a college activity or procedure whether by act or omission, including but not limited to:

  1. cheating, plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty;
  2. knowingly furnishing false information to the college;
  3. forgery or alteration of use of documents with intent to defraud, or alteration of instruments of identification or use of altered instruments of identification"

A complaint may be filed by going to the Office of Student Conduct in Culkin Hall. Any formal documentation of the charges should be included with the complaint.

You can learn more about how the process plays out after charges are filed by visiting the Student Conduct website.

Repeated misconduct
In the cases of repeated misconduct, the Dean's Office may file judicial charges independent of the actions of the individual faculty.