The Apostille process authenticates the legality of documents exchanged between participating nations.  Students and alumni traveling overseas for work may be asked to provide diplomas and/or transcripts through this process.

Materials requested for the Apostille process will be authenticated by the Oswego County Clerk and delivered to the requestor. It is the requestor's responsibility to complete the process by submitting materials to the NYS Department of State (www.dos.ny.gov/corps/apostille.html). If  your country does not accept authentication by a U.S. State (list of participating countries), further authentication by the U.S. Department of State may also be required.

Diplomas - authenticated duplicate diplomas can be ordered from our Replacement / Duplicate Diploma Ordering page. Be sure to select the "Apostille" option.

Transcripts - For Apostille purposes, Official transcripts must be requested in writing and the request for the Apostille process MUST be noted on the Transcript Request Form in order for the transcript to be routed to the Oswego County Clerk for authentication. Please note, there are additional fees associated with this process. Each official transcript is $7.00 (made payable to SUNY Oswego), and Registrar staff must attach a letter certifying the transcripts authenticity.  The Oswego County Clerk charges $3 per document, which includes each letter from the Registrar's office. The authentication fee must be paid separately (check, money order or cash only). Checks and money orders must be made payable to "Oswego County Clerk".

Example - If you are requesting only an official transcript, the fee paid to the Oswego County Clerk is $6.00 ($3 to notarize the transcript + $3 to notarize the letter of authenticity). The fee paid to SUNY Oswego is $7 for the transcript itself.

If you need to request both a diploma and a transcript for Apostille, please call us at (315) 312-2275.

If you have additional questions about the Apostille authentication process, please call the Registrar's office at (315)312-2275.