Community Living Agreements
Each residence hall floor or quad participates in the development of its own "Community Living Agreement" or CLA. Through this process, residents have the opportunity to discuss with each other the environment in which they would like to live. Utilizing College and Residence Life and Housing policies to guide them, community members decide how they will work together to have a positive community on the floors. Examples of discussion topics include how students will approach each other if they feel: someone is being too noisy; people are not cleaning up after themselves, etc. This is truly a wonderful opportunity for students to learn to take care of their environment and their own needs at the same time. It is also an excellent communication tool and experience!
What is it?
The Community Living Agreement (CLA) defines goals and standards for the community that are determined by consensus. The CLA provides members of the floor/quad the opportunity to assume responsibility for determining guidelines to live in their community and to better communicate their expectations.
The CLA and the process for developing it are introduced by the RA/RM/GRM at the first floor meeting after a discussion of College policies. (Anything that violates College policies is not negotiable.)
- Noise (assuring ability to study and sleep)
- Confronting each other with concern
- Confronting or reporting damages
- Food in the sinks and/or drinking fountains
- Messes/vomit in the bathroom or elsewhere on the floor (use of common areas)
- Participation in floor and hall activities
- Meeting to eat meals together
- Personal safety (locking doors, confronting non-residents)
- Celebrating birthdays
- Organizing intramural and recreational sports
- Establishing ways to appreciate the housekeeping/custodial staff
- Floor service projects
- Floor meetings
|ResLife HOME!||Contact Us!||About Us!|
303 Culkin Hall
Oswego, NY 13126
- New Student FAQs
- Residence Halls & Communities
- Room Furniture Options
- Residence Halls info
- Village info
- Fitness Centers
- Residence Hall Security
- Meet the ResLife Staff
Students or parents needing assistance with the content of these ResLife pages should contact the Residence Life and Housing office at 315.312.2246 between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm. Thank you.