Military credit

SUNY Oswego uses American Council on Education recommendations in awarding college credit for military experience through the Joint Services Transcript. Each individual recommendation is evaluated for SUNY Oswego equivalencies with credits awarded as either specific courses, subject electives, or arts and science electives. Upper division credit is also recognized. Any courses that would apply to a student's major require departmental approval. Credit is awarded upon enrollment with a maximum of 30 credits.

To request a JST, visit their website, create an account and request an electronic copy be sent to us. Our institution is listed as "State University of New York (SUNY) at Oswego."

Military scholarships

Lt. Col. Mike Waters, USAF (Ret.) '70 Scholarship
Every year, one recipient earns this $1,325 scholarship established by Michael Waters '70 to assist working students needing financial assistance to complete their degree. To qualify for this award, a student must: 
a. Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing as a freshman, sophomore or junior (completed 0-86 credits by deadline) 
b. Demonstrate financial need 
c. Preference will be given to veterans (particularly combat veterans) 
d. Preference will be given to students from Central New York

Lt. Col. Dan Bangs ’69 Veterans and Military Services Scholarship
Lt. Col. Dan Bangs ’69 established this $1,000 award in support of students from our veteran and military population, with demonstrated financial need. To qualify for this award, a student must:
a. Be a full- or part-time matriculated student at SUNY Oswego, who is a veteran of the U.S Marine Corps, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Air Force, U.S Coast Guard, or U.S. Public Health Service.
b. Be currently serving on active duty or serving in the reserves or national guard.
c. Have documented financial need and proof of honorable military service.
d. Have a GPA of at least 2.5 or other evidence of academic potential to succeed.

Apply onlineDeadline is early February.

Contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 315.312.2258 for more information. 

Veterans Lounge

The Veterans Lounge -- 235A Hewitt Union -- provides study and recreation space for our military students while giving an opportunity to meet and socialize with other veterans and service members. It also serves as an information point where students can access veteran-specific materials relating to campus resources, education benefits, scholarships, VA benefits, community-based veterans organizations and upcoming campus and community veterans events. These materials are regularly posted or displayed in the lounge and updated as new information develops.

With our student veterans being non-traditional learners who often commute to campus, the lounge is furnished with a television, refrigerator and coffeemaker that are available for use by student veterans between classes while they study and socialize. SUNY Oswego's Veterans Club, a registered student organization and official chapter of the Student Veterans of America, also uses the lounge to host their weekly club meetings and the Veteran Services Coordinator holds weekly office hours in the lounge.

Veterans Club

The Veterans Club, an official chapter of the Student Veterans of America, provides a friendly and engaging environment to interact with those who may share many of the same struggles, excitement, concerns or interests. The organization aims to assist veterans in any way possible both on campus and in the local communities by focusing on academic and extra-curricular engagement activities. Without the formal structure of the military, the transition from soldier to civilian or soldier to student can be difficult. The Veterans Club aims to be there to assist in this transition by providing support, resources, activities and camaraderie for our returning military men and women and their family members or significant others. 

Club membership is not limited to those with a military connection. Current club members include veterans, active duty service members, guardsmen, reservists, spouses and dependents, as well as SUNY Oswego students interested in supporting those who have served. There is no formal application for club membership and participation at club meetings is encouraged.  

If you would like to get involved with the Veterans Club or have questions or suggestions, please go to the Veterans Club Laker Life page or email

Military leave of absence

A matriculated student who is called up to active duty with the military or deployed for military action is eligible for a Military Leave of Absence. A Military Leave of Absence will facilitate a student's return to Oswego if the student wishes to return within one year of the date of discharge from active service or return from deployment. It will also provide a refund of tuition and fees if the withdrawal is during a semester. 

To obtain a Military Leave of Absence, students must submit a copy of their military orders along with an College Withdrawal Form to Compass, the student advisement center. When discharged from active duty or back from assignment, a student can register at Oswego by contacting the Registrar's Office, 301 Culkin Hall, and declaring their intention to return. Documentation of discharge or reassignment will be required. Students returning from Military Leave of Absence will be permitted to participate in the advance registration period with other students with similar class standing as determined by number of credit hours earned. Students who will be unable to register during the advanced registration period for the semester they will be returning due to their military obligations should contact Veteran Services Coordinator Ben Parker for assistance. 

Students who are granted a Military Leave of Absence but do not register for classes within one year of the date of discharge or reassignment must file an Application for Readmission with the Registrar's Office in order to re-enroll. If a student is absent from campus for more than two academic years, changes to degree requirements may apply.

Military honor cords

In recognition of their military service, all graduating SUNY Oswego veterans and service members receive a red, white and blue honors cord to wear at their commencement ceremony. Cords are free of charge and can be picked up in the month preceding commencement from the Veteran Services Coordinator in 151 Marano Campus Center. Military service will be verified.

For additional information, please contact Veteran & Military Services Coordinator Ben Parker at 315.312.2270 or