Here are some frequently asked questions that may help you out:
What happens if I am sick after Health Services is closed?

If it is an emergency, call 911. SAVAC is a volunteer on- campus ambulance service that can provide transportation to Oswego Hospital Emergency Room. If it is not an emergency, you may call Fonemed (877-617-9538) and speak with a Registered Nurse about health concerns. Fulton Urgent Care (315-592-3500) and Lake Ontario Prompt Care (315-216-4036) are local places which offer after hour/weekend care. Students are responsible for their own transportation and any charges incurred.

How can I prevent influenza?
  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
  • Avoid people who are ill.
  • Stay home from work or school if you are sick.
  • Use tissues when you cough, sneeze, or spit. Dispose the tissue in a covered trash bin.
  • Keep hands away from your face. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
  • Clean shared spaces more often such as phone receivers, keyboards, steering wheels, and office equipment.
  • Refrain from sharing personal items such as forks, spoons, toothbrushes, and towels.
If my roommate or friend is sick, can I get them a sick tray from the dining hall?

Sick trays are available from the dining halls and can be arranged for in the dining hall. Forms are available at each residence hall office, dining hall, and Health Services. The tray offers hot and cold food choices, soup, snacks, and beverages.

How do I get my immunization record from Health Services?
Can I have medicines in my room?

Students take charge of any medication that comes from home and they may store those medicines in their room.

Can I get allergy shots at Health Services?

We do not offer allergy shots. If you are a distance from home and unable to continue with your local allergist, you can receive your allergy shots from one of our local providers (see provider list below):

Lakeshore ENT - 140 W. 6th St. Suite 210, Oswego, NY 349-5828 Fax: 349-5829 

Northway Medical Associates - 21 N. 2nd St. Fulton, NY 598-7105 

Dr. Ram, P. - 300 State Route 104 Suite 1 Oswego, NY 342-0030 

Dr. Sotomayor – 5229 Witz Dr. North Syracuse, NY 701-9500

Your doctor's treatment plan and current injection schedule will be reviewed. Check with your insurance carrier about how reimbursement will be handled. Billing for injections must be discussed directly with the office. Please be sure you schedule your initial appointment before your shots are needed to ensure that you continue to receive timely injections.
Will it cost me money to be seen at Health Services?

The mandatory health fee pays for the health care you receive at Health Services during the current semester. Each semester that you pay this fee you are entitled to primary care at Health Services. Mono, strep, pregnancy and urine tests are free. STD and HIV tests are provided at a reasonable cost, and we will ask you to pay us for the test. If you are a student in the spring and are registered for the fall and you are not taking summer school courses, you may be seen at Health Services for a nominal fee.

Does the Health Services take checks/credit cards/cash to pay for these occasional charges?

We take checks, credit cards and cash. Charges may also be added to the student bill.

Does Health Services provide care for attention deficit/hyperactive disorder (ADD/ADHD)?

We do not. We ask that students taking medication for ADD/ADHD receive their prescriptions from their health care provider in charge of their care at home. Family members can mail their prescription or the health care provider can mail the written prescription to the student. It is important to document current medications and treatment in the student's Health Services health record form.

Is there an email address for Health Services?

Yes. Health Services does and is for general questions about Health Services.

Please remember that email may not be transmitted securely. Therefore, it is not recommended to send health records via email. Also, appointments can not be made via email request. Please call 315.312.4100 to schedule an appointment. If you have a question about your health, you may send a secure message through the Patient Portal, or call the health center and ask to speak with a provider.

Who can use Health Services?

Students that have paid the health fee.

What is the health fee?

The health fee is a required fee for all students taking day classes on campus. The health fee covers visits at the health center, free over the counter cold medicine (Cold Clinic), some in-house labs, and some prescription medications. The health center does not bill insurance for our services.

Why do I have to show proof of insurance?

Health insurance is required for all students. Health insurance is required for use outside of Health Services such as emergency room, hospital admissions, diagnostic tests (labs and x-rays), referrals to specialists, and medications not available at Health Services.

Do I purchase college insurance or not?

Ask your insurance these questions: Is your insurance plan an HMO or regional plan? Can services (such as diagnostic tests) be ordered outside of the home area? If the answer to the first questions is “yes”, or the second question is “no”, you should consider purchasing the college insurance policy. For more information about the college insurance policy, please call Auxiliary Services at ph. #315-312-2106.

Do you provide GYN/STD services?

Yes. We provide STD testing and reproductive healthcare for all students. We do not provide routine annual GYN exams or routine contraceptive services. OCO Reproductive Health (315-342-0888) offers these services at the Walker Health Center on Thursdays during the academic semesters. OCO is not part of Health Services and services are not covered by the health fee. Students are responsible for any charges through OCO.

Is there a pharmacy on campus?

No. However, Health Services maintains a small dispensary to provide some medications for students who were seen at Health Services.

Where can I get other prescription medicine?

There are many local pharmacies. There are two pharmacies that will deliver to SUNY Oswego. Kinney Drugs (315-342-6800) or Wayne Drugs (315-342-5666). If you are established with a provider at home for an ongoing health condition (mental or physical) please keep that relationship for continuing care and prescription renewal. Medications to treat ADHD are not prescribed at the health center.

Will Health Services store student medications?

In most situations, no. The student is responsible for their medication. Please call Health Services with further questions.

What nursing care is provided?

Routine labs, wound care, immunization, and medication injections are some of the care that our nurses provide. Orders from a health care provider are required. Please call the Health Services for further information.

What are the hours?

During the academic year: Monday - Friday from 8:30am-4:00pm. Walk-in hours are from 8:30-10:30am. Appointments are scheduled thereafter. Summer hours are from 9:00am-3:00pm by appointment only.