Grants are a form of financial aid from the State and Federal governments that don’t need to be repaid, and are often based on your income. Grants generally won’t pay for the total cost of college, but they can cover a large portion. It’s best to complete the application process early since many grants are available on a first-come first-served basis.

To be eligible, all students applying for TAP and APTS must be New York residents who either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the commissioner of the State Education Department.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is an income-based grant with a possible maximum award of $5,165. In addition to the above eligibility requirements, students must meet the income criteria.

If you are a current student re-applying for TAP, you must

  • have a cumulative C average after receipt of two annual payments
  • be matriculated into an approved program of study full-time (12 credits), and in good academic standing.


To apply, you must complete the FAFSA. On FAFSA’s submission confirmation page there is a link to apply for TAP. If for some reason you are unable to do so through FAFSA, apply through the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

APTS provides grant assistance for part-time students enrolled in undergraduate studies, with awards of up to $2,000 which cannot exceed tuition charges. You must be enrolled in at least 3 credit hours and fewer than 12 credit hours per semester.

If you are a current student re-applying for APTS you must

  • have a cumulative C average after two annual payments
  • not be in default of a Federal Family Education Loan or state awards.

Income limits

All applicants must meet these this criteria:

  • If claimed as a tax dependent of parents, family net taxable income (parent and student) below $50,550
  • If not claimed as a tax dependent of parents, net taxable income (student and spouse) below $34,250
  • If not eligible to be claimed as tax dependent of parents, but had tax dependents of your own other than you/or your spouse, net taxable income below $50,550


  • Complete the FAFSA, and download and complete the APTS application (pdf, 194 KB).
  • Submit a copy of your most recent NYS Tax return to the Financial Aid Office with the APTS application.
  • Dependent students must include a copy of their parent or parents’ most recent NYS tax return(s). If a return was not filed, attach an explanation of why along with a statement of all sources and amount of most recent income.
  • Submit a statement describing how many credits you plan to take for the following academic year.

Because funds are limited, you should complete the application process as soon as possible for processing.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

This program, offered through the SUNY system, is designed for students who need special academic assistance and financial aid. EOP is available to full-time undergraduates who have been residents of New York for 12 months prior to enrollment, and must meet income requirements. The amount of aid students receive is dependent upon need and available funding, which is disbursed by semester. May be used as deferment if paperwork is in order.


To apply students, must complete the FAFSA and apply for TAP.

Federal Pell Grant

Based on your financial need, this grant is available to matriculated students who have not received a bachelor’s degree. You must be a U.S. citizen, or eligible non-citizen that is financially eligible, and in good academic standing or making satisfactory degree progress. You may not default or owe a repayment on any Title IV program at any institution. The maximum award amount for 2019-2020 is $6,195.


To apply, submit the FAFSA application

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)


To apply, submit the FAFSA application

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) program

The TEACH Grant is a federal program that encourages students in selected education areas to teach in low-income schools. This is a significant program for students eligible and willing to commit to the service requirement attached to it. The program allows awards of $4,000 per academic year for full-time study for up to four years of undergraduate and two years of graduate-level education. Proportionate awards are available to part-time students. Students may receive up to $16,000 for undergraduate study and up to $8,000 for graduate study and post-baccalaureate teacher certification coursework. Eligibility for TEACH is not based on family income or financial need.

Eligibility requirements

  • Must be enrolled in a teaching program designated as a high-need field at SUNY Oswego. In addition to these fields, there is a state-by-state list. If you want to be considered eligible based on a field from the state-by-state list, you will need to document your career goal and how your current program will help you attain that goal to the Financial Aid Office.
  • As an entering freshman, have scored above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test (SAT, ACT or GRE) 
    Graduated from high school with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale or an 88 on a 100 scale. In this case you will need to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale) on college coursework to receive a grant for each subsequent semester.

  • Current students who did not meet the criteria listed above at the time of entering college must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 to qualify. You must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 each subsequent semester.


Each year a TEACH Grant is received, a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay must be signed. Within eight years of graduation from a degree program (or any other separation from the college) you must teach for four academic years in a low-income school in one of the above-listed high-need fields as a highly qualified full-time teacher. If you are unwilling or unable to meet the service commitment after graduation, or if you withdraw from the college without completing the education degree, the TEACH grant will revert to an unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan (student loan) with retroactive interest. This can result in a substantial loan obligation when years of accrued interest are added to the original loan amount.


You must meet the state's definition of a full-time teacher and spend the majority (at least 51%) of your time teaching one of the high-need subject areas. Elementary teachers who teach multiple subject areas would likely not be able to fulfill their service agreement.


You must respond promptly to any requests for information or documentation from the U.S. Department of Education, even if they seem repetitive. These requests will be sent while in school as well as once you are out of school. You will be asked regularly to confirm that you either still intend to teach or that you are teaching as required. You must provide documentation to the U.S. Department of Education at the end of each year of teaching.

If you temporarily cease enrollment in their program of study or if you encounter situations that affect your ability to begin or continue teaching, you will need to stay in touch with the U.S. Department of Education to avoid grants being converted to loans before you are able to complete their teaching obligation.

To apply

New York State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarships (STEM)

New York State Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarships are offered to students pursuing careers as secondary math and science teachers. This program provides awards to students attending school at the undergraduate and/or graduate degree level in exchange for five years of full-time employment as secondary education math or science teachers.

Recipients receive an annual award for full-time study equal to the annual tuition charged to NYS resident students attending a SUNY undergraduate program, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. The maximum annual award for the 2014-15 academic year is $6,195.00. New applicants will be ranked by GPA and total credits earned. If there are more applicants than available funding, awards will be paid according to rank.


To be eligible, students must

  • be U.S. citizens, or eligible non-citizens attending a college in New York State
  • be matriculated into an approved undergraduate or graduate program leading to a career as a secondary education math or science teacher.
  • have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher, and do the following:
    • execute a Service Contract in which you agree to work for five years as a secondary school math or science teacher. View the terms and conditions of the Service Contract.
    • not have a service obligation under another program. You may not hold the Federal TEACH Grant and a NYS Math and Science Teacher Incentive Program award at the same time.
    • Not be in default on a federally guaranteed student loan.


You will be entitled to an annual award for not more than four academic years of full-time undergraduate study and one academic year of full-time graduate study while matriculating in an approved program leading to permanent certification as a secondary education teacher in mathematics or science.


Applications for the next series will be available in January 2016.

  • Current NYS residents must complete the FAFSA and apply for the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
  • Applicants who are not residents of NYS may contact the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372 to request a Scholarship and Grant Payment Application.
  • You are not required to submit another NYS Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarship Program Supplement once you have been awarded this scholarship, but you must apply for payment each year.


Awards will be paid directly to the schools on behalf of students upon the successful completion of each academic year. Successful completion of an academic year means the applicant must:

  • Have been in full-time attendance (with a minimum of 12 credits per semester, which applies to both undergraduate and graduate students).
  • Have earned at least 27 credit hours or the equivalent during the academic year in a course of study leading to a secondary education degree in the fields of math or science.
  • Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the academic year.
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for all academic years of undergraduate and graduate study.

Applicants may attend less than full time during their last undergraduate term if less than a full-time course load is necessary to complete their degree.