Apply for Aid
Financial aid checklist
- If this is your first time filing for financial aid, apply online for a Federal PIN. At least one parent of a dependent student should apply for a PIN if they need to sign your FAFSA. This PIN will allow you to sign the FAFSA agreement, check the status of your financial aid application, correct any errors and allow you to sign student/parent loan promissory notes.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You should complete your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 of the award year, but no later than March 1. After this date, your eligibility may decrease as we commit aid to other students. Once the form is processed, you will receive a confirmation email from FAFSA so you can review the results and make any necessary changes. SUNY Oswego’s Federal Code is 002848.
- Apply for New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). This program is for New York State residents only. You cannot complete the TAP application until you complete the FAFSA, but you can apply immediately on the FAFSA confirmation page by clicking the NYS Resident link. If you miss this link you can apply through Higher Education Services Center. SUNY Oswego’s School Code is 0935.
After completion of these applications, look for information from the SUNY Oswego Financial Aid Office. Beginning about March 15, if you have already applied, we will send your financial aid award with information about aid you are eligible for and further instructions.
Once we process your application, we will instruct you to use myOswego to facilitate the processing of your financial aid. MyOswego is also used for accepting aid, billing, registering for classes and many other helpful functions.
Financial Aid Checklist
- To be considered for financial aid you must complete the FAFSA each year. You will need your PIN from the previous year; if you can’t remember your PIN you can create another on their website. SUNY Oswego’s Federal Code is 002848.
- Apply for New York State's Tuition Assistance Program. TAP has a multi-year application process, so students who have received TAP in the previous year may not be required to submit a new electronic TAP application. However, you must submit a new FAFSA or a renewal FAFSA each new award year to be considered for the TAP multi-year process.
Based upon the data reported on the FAFSA and historical information on file at HESC, you will receive an email message from TAP with eligibility and award information if you meet certain multi-year processing criteria. You should verify that all information is correct. If any information is incorrect, you should submit a TAP change form.
The online TAP change form will appear as a link in the email message you receive.
- Use myOswego to manage your Financial Aid. Once we process your application, we will instruct you to use myOswego to facilitate the processing of your financial aid. MyOswego is also used for accepting aid, billing, registering for classes and many other helpful functions.
Financial Aid Checklist
If you have not applied for financial aid for the semesters you will be attending SUNY Oswego, follow the instructions under the above tabs for either Prospective Students or Current Students. If you have already applied for financial aid at another school, complete the following checklist:
- Transfer your FAFSA information to SUNY Oswego. Click on make a correction and add SUNY Oswego to the schools where you want the FAFSA sent. Our Federal School Code is 002848.
- Transfer your New York State Tap Award to SUNY Oswego. Go to HESC and select TAP College or Address Change. SUNY Oswego’s Tap code is 0935.
- Check the status of your application. You will receive a new Student Aid Report (SAR) as a result of your FAFSA. Once you are accepted for admission, you will be able to check the status of your application on myOswego.
- Review the award notice you will receive from HESC to make sure SUNY Oswego is listed as the school you will be attending. Submit all requested information to the Financial Aid Office. You may receive a request for additional information, and to complete additional forms. Download the online forms, complete them and submit them to the Financial Aid Office.
Review the SUNY Oswego award letter when you receive it. Carefully read all information sent with your award letter.