You are here

Common questions

Q. What happens if I'm sick after the health center closes?
A. The campus is fortunate to have a basic life support (BLS) ambulance corps that is available by calling 312.5555 and asking for SAVAC to respond to your emergency. For after-hours non-emergency concerns, FONEMED is available at 877.617.9538. A registered nurse will respond to your question and give you advice.  

Q.  How can I prevent influenza?

  • Washing your hands often with soap and warm water. Alcohol-based hand cleansers are also effective.
  • Avoiding people who are ill.
  • Staying home from work or school if you are sick.
  • Using tissue when you cough, sneeze or spit, and dispose of the tissue in a covered trash bin.
  • Keeping hands away from your face. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
  • Cleaning shared space more often such as phone receivers, keyboards, steering wheels and office equipment.
  • Refraining from sharing personal items such as forks, spoons, toothbrushes and towels.

Q. If my roommate or friend is sick, can I get him/her a sick tray from the dining hall?
A. Sick trays are available from the dining halls and can be arranged for in the dining hall. Forms are available at each residence hall office, dining hall and Walker Health Center. The tray offers hot and cold food choices, soup, snacks and beverages.

Q. How do I get my immunization record from Walker Health Center?
A. Your immunizations are on-line on your MyOswego page. Click on:, then on personal information and follow link to immunizations. Then print.

Q. Can I have medicines in my room?
A. Students take charge of any medication that comes from home and they may store those medicines in their rooms.

Q. Can I get allergy shots at Walker Health Center?
A.  We do not offer allergy shots. If you are a distance from home and unable to continue with your local allergist, Lakeshore ENT is located at 140 West Sixth Street (next to Oswego Hospital): 315.349.5828. You will need to contact the office directly to arrange a visit before you receive injections. Your doctor's treatment plan and current injection schedule will be reviewed. Check with your insurance carrier about how reimbursement will be handled. Billing for injections must be discussed directly with the office. Please be sure you schedule your initial appointment before your shots are needed to ensure that you continue to receive timely injections.

Q. Will it cost me money to be seen at the health center?
A. The mandatory health fee pays for the health care you receive at Walker Health Center during the current semester. Each semester that you pay this fee you are entitled to primary care at Walker Health Center. Mono, strep, pregnancy and urine tests are free. STD and HIV tests are provided at a reasonable cost, and we will ask you to pay us for the test. If you are a student in the spring and are registered for the fall and you are not taking summer school courses, you may be seen at Walker Health Center for a nominal fee.

Q. Does the health center take checks or credit cards as well as cash to pay for these occasional charges?
A. We take checks, credit cards and cash.

Q. Does the health center provide care for attention deficit/hyperactive disorder (ADD/ADHD)?
A. We do not. We ask that students taking medication for ADD/ADHD receive their prescriptions from their health care provider in charge of their care at home. Family members can mail their prescription or the health care provider can mail the written prescription to the student. It is important to document current medications and treatment in the student's Walker Health Center health record form.

Q. Is there an email address for the Health Center?
A. Yes. It is and is for general questions about the health center only. Please remember that email may be transmitted securely, so try not to write anything personal when you write to us. Please do not email for appointments; call 312.4100.  Please do not send health records via email. If you have a question about your health, please call the health center and ask to speak with a provider; if unavailable at that time, one will call back as soon as possible.