The name of the organization shall be Blackfriars Theatre Organization at State University of N.Y. college of Oswego, here after referred to as B.T.O.Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be:
A. To provide opportunities for the college community to experience all aspects of theatre.
B. To cultivate a general interest in theatre.
Membership in the Blackfriars Theatre Organization is open to all students, part time and full time, which have paid their SA fee and show an active interest in upholding the purposes of the organization as set down in the constitution.Article IV: Executive Council
Section 1: Purpose
The purpose of the Executive Council is to be responsible for all the policies and policy making within B.T.O. The Executive Council shall be responsible to the membership. Every active member is eligible to nominate.
The Executive Council shall be composed of: The President, The Vice President, The Secretary, The Treasurer, and The Parliamentarian.
Article V: Elected and Appointed Officers and Their Duties
Section 1: President
The duties of the President shall be:
A. To promote, serve, and protect the interests and policies of B.T.O.
B. To act as liaison between the organization and its members. The organization and the faculty, and the organization and the college community in general whenever necessary in conjunction with the affairs of B.T.O.
C. To be accessible to all members of the organization, and be receptive to the needs, wishes and aspirations in conjunction with the programs and purposes of B.T.O.
D. To act in all other capacities as that of a President as outlined in Robert's Rules of Order unless otherwise stated in this constitution.
E. To attend all open Theatre Department faculty meetings.
F. To assist the Financial Advisor in the appointment of the Treasurer.Section 2: Vice President
The duties of the Vice President shall be:
A. To function in the office of the President in the event of his or her absence.
B. To serve as ex-officio member of all committees whenever deemed necessary by the President.Section 3: Treasurer
The duties of the Treasurer shall be:
A. To execute all financial transactions pertaining to the operation of B.T.O.
B. To maintain accurate an up-to-date records and accounts of these transactions.
C. To coordinate the proper disbursement of the budget of B.T.O. according to the policies of the organization and the Student Association as voted on by the membership.Section 4: Parliamentarian
The duties of the Parliamentarian shall be:
To be available to all members of B.T.O. for the clarification of B.T.O. policies and programs and the proper conduct of organizational meetings and the business of such meetings and to maintain a copy of Robert's Rules of Order for use during the meetings.Section 5: Secretary
The duties of the Secretary shall be:
A. To record the minutes at all B.T.O. meetings.
B. To be responsible for all correspondences pertaining to B.T.O.
C. To post the minutes of each meeting on the B.T.O.'s Bulletin Board within 24 hours of the said meeting. D. To maintain an up-to-date file containing:
- A copy of current B.T.O. constitution.
- The minutes of all B.T.O. meetings.
- A record of any other policy-making decision and/or precedents instituted by B.T.O.
If at any time an active member of B.T.O. feels that an officer is not
performing his or her duties correctly, as defined by this Constitution and in a professional manner, he may bring that matter up in front of a B.T.O. meeting. At the next meeting, the officer in question will have an opportunity to answer the charges. Once the officer in question has spoken, or has waived the right, the present active members may or may not proceed with the impeachment process. At this time, a motion to impeach must be made, and a two third's vote for impeachment will result in the officer's impeachment. If an officer misses two consecutive meetings without informing the executive committee, that officer will be subject to impeachment under the procedure outlined in this section. All
impeachments are subject to the jurisdiction of the SA Supreme Court.
Section 1: Publicity Committee
A. Purpose: The purpose of the Publicity Committee shall be to promote interest in all B.T.O. activities.
B. Duties: To institute effective and creative publicity for all Blackfriars meetings and productions.
C. Membership: A chairperson to be appointed by the President in
consultation with the Executive Council. Also volunteers from the
membership present during a regular meeting may be appointed as
Section 1: Election Committee
A. The President of B.T.O. shall appoint, at a regular meeting, a
committee consisting of no more than five members to oversee all aspects of elections for the officers of B.T.O. These aspects should include the following:
- Verification of the eligibility of all candidates for the office they are seeking election to according to the qualifications listed in this article.
- The conduction of elections, including balloting, counting of votes, and announcing newly elected officers.
To run for office, all potential candidates must:
A. Complete a resume to be posted on the B.T.O. Bulletin Board no
later than two working days prior to the elections. This resume shall
- Office desired
- General theatrical experience at Oswego
- Class Standing
- The number and dates of active semesters in B.T.O.
B. Fulfill the requirements pertaining to specific office:
- President: Must be a junior or senior upon taking office and must have been a member of B.T.O. for two consecutive semesters prior to assumption of office.
- Vice President: Same qualifications as President.
- Secretary: Must have been a member for one semester immediately prior to assumption of duties.
- Parliamentarian: Must have been a member of B.T.O. for one semester immediately prior to assumption of duties.
- President: One school year
- Vice President: One school year
- Secretary: One school year
- Parliamentarian: One school year
A. Elections of officers for the following Fall semester shall take place no later than the previous April 15th.
B. All elections take place at regular general meetings.
C. Nominations will be accepted from the floor for those who have fulfilled the pre-election requirements of Section 2.
D. In the event of a vacancy between regular elections, an election for the office in question shall take place no later than two meetings after the vacancy has been announced. The procedure for this election shall be the same as for a regular election.
E. In the event of a tie, consult the chart below:
What is being voted on:
Status of current President:
Who makes final decision:
Involved in the tie
Faculty Advisor will choose a winner.
NOT involved in the tie
Current President will choose a winner.
Any other vote
Current President will choose a winner.
Article VIII: Appointments Section 1: Positions Appointed
- Chairperson of the Publicity Committee
A. Treasurer: Must be of Sophomore standing or better upon taking office and have been a member of B.T.O. for two consecutive semesters immediately prior to the assumption of duties.
B. Chairperson of the Publicity Committee: Must have been a member of B.T.O. for two consecutive semesters immediately prior to the assumption of office.Section 3: Term of Office
- Chairperson of the Publicity Committee: One semester
- Treasurer: Period of term determined at time of appointment; not to exceed one school year.
A. Treasurer: The treasurer shall be appointed by the President of B.T.O. with the assistance of the Financial Advisor.
B. Chairperson of the Publicity Committee: The Chairperson of the Publicity Committee shall be appointed by the Executive Council of B.T.O. subject to the approval the active members present at the meeting in which motion is called.
Article IX: Advisors
Section 1: Purpose
The purpose of advisors shall be to give consultation and suggestion on organizational matters upon the request of the organization.
Section 2: Selection
A. Advisors shall be chosen by B.T.O. upon consultation with the Theatre Department staff.
B. Advisors shall be selected at the initial Fall General Meeting if it is found necessary to select new members.
C. Current advisors shall be reviewed on a yearly basis.
Section 3: Advisors and their duties
A. General Advisor: The General Advisor shall be available for advice
concerning the overall operations of B.T.O.
B. Financial Advisor: The Financial Advisor shall be available for advice concerning all financial matters of B.T.O.
Article X: Rules of Order
Robert's Rules of Order shall be the reference on all points of procedure not covered in this constitution.
Article XI: Ratification and Amendment Process
This constitution shall become operable after ratification of all articles by a two-thirds majority at the next regularly scheduled B.T.O. meeting. These bylaws may be amended by a 3/4 majority vote of members present at a regularly scheduled Blackfriars meeting held two weeks after a written notice of the proposed amendments has been posted on the Blackfriars information board. All amendments are subject to the approval of the SA Supreme Court.
Article XII: Student Theatre Committee Guidelines
Student Theatre Committee’s Goal:
As the sect of Blackfriars overseeing the Student Theatre funds, we are working for simulation of low budget directing experiences in order bridge the gap between directing scenes and mounting a full production.
- Student Theatre Selection Committee (STSC):
A committee will consist of 4 students (2 with performing/directing concentration and 2 with technical concentration) and 2 faculty members (at the convenience of the faculty – one from each respective concentration preferably).
- This committee is to be put into place during the first Blackfriars meeting of the fall semester.
- The student members of the committee will ideally serve on that committee for both the fall and spring semesters.
- If a committee member is proposing a play, graduating, or inactive (poor attendance, etc.), they will be replaced with an alternate for semester or year.
- The faculty members may change from semester to semester if necessary.
- There is no limit to the number of semesters a student may serve on the committee.
- The committee is to be headed by the sitting Vice President of Blackfriars.
- Proposed Guidelines for Directors:
A) Directors will have successfully completed the THT 341 (Intro to Directing), receiving no less than a B- or currently be enrolled in the course and have a written letter of recommendation from the professor.
B) Directors must be in good academic standing (2.0 GPA) and have a Theatre GPA of no less than a 3.0.
C) Directors should have been active members of Blackfriars for at least on semester preceding their submission (not including the current semester). This does not have to be immediately preceding the current semester if conflicted by Music Department participation, night classes, overseas studies, or the like.
D) Directors meeting the above criteria will post a resume and a semi-detailed proposal (see section 3) for their play on the Blackfriars Board by the deadline each semester.
E) Blackfriars requires that directors must hold auditions for student theatre productions.
2b. Proposed Guidelines for Technical/Design Production Support:
Student Theatre money not only supports directors, but designers also. Designers looking to expand their skills have the opportunity to receive money also.
A) Student designers must have successfully complete the appropriate entry-level design course (THT 322 for Scenic Design, THT 351 for Costume Design, etc) receiving no less than a B- or currently be enrolled in applicable course with a written letter of recommendation from the professor.
B) Designers must be in good academic standing (2.0) and have a Theatre GPA of no less than a 3.0.
C) Designers should have been active members of Blackfriars for at least on semester preceding their submission (not including the current semester). This does not have to be immediately preceding the current semester if conflicted by Music Department participation, night classes, overseas studies, or the like.
D) Designers meeting the above criteria should submit their resume and a semi-detailed proposal (see section 3) to the Student Theatre Selection Committee via the Blackfriars mailbox in the Theatre Office (105 Tyler) by the deadline each semester.
Transfer students should provide information showing that they meet the criteria state above from other schools or experience.
- Proposal Outlines:
Proposal outlines should include the following:
- Title of play.
- Number of characters.
- Short synopsis.
- Technical support.
- Date/location of performance.
- Concepts behind production.
- Budget breakdown i.e. – royalties, posters, programs, props, dry cleaning, etc.
Deadlines are subject to change due to the discretion of the committee.
Submit by October 15th for use in the Spring semester.
Submit by April 1st for use in the fall semester.
- Proposed Dispersal of Funds (figures based on $1,500.00 Student Theatre Budget)
A) Each year $200.00 of the budget will be used to build, buy, or repair furniture expressly for the purpose of Student Theatre and the Lab. Members of STSC should present purchases to Blackfriars members for a vote. The treasurer and the director of finance must approve purchases.
B) The remaining funds will be divided in half for use between the Fall and Spring Semester ($1300 for the year = $650 per semester). Each eligible director will be eligible for $250.00 if working without any designers. Each eligible director working with a designer will be eligible for $100.00 and each are of design eligible for $125.00. Funds are first come first serve at the discretion of the STSC until either the funds for the semester are expended or the dollar limits for each show have been met.
C) An admission fee may be charged but must go directly into the budget line. Donations may be accepted (within the guidelines of the financial policy for events such as KCACTF.
D) Funds that have not been encumbered by April 1 will then be considered for non-production Student Theatre use. This may include but is not limited to additional lab prop or furniture purchases.
Note: if an application for Student Theatre money is received after the deadline, the amount awarded may be lessened at the discretion of STSC.
- Performance Spaces:
A) Approved directors may wish to have their performance in the Lab Theatre if so the space will need to be reserved and approved. The Theatre Department Secretary in 105 Tyler can do this. Please note that, like Waterman Theatre, the lab will be given to acting and directing classes as priority.
- Technical Support of Student Theatre in the Lab:
A) The lab will be equipped with a tape deck and two speakers for the run of the show.
B) Lighting instruments in the lab will be decided upon by the Technical Director and the Technical Coordinator.
C) Directors will receive one prop box and its corresponding key for the rehearsal/run. Any and all items rented from stock must be locked up after each rehearsal. Whomever signs the rental agreement will be held accountable for all such items.
D) There will be NO access to the makeup cabinets.
- Technical Support in Alternative Spaces:
A) Rehearsals will need to meet the requirements of the space - scheduling of the space will be the responsibility of the director.
B) At this time, no lighting can be provided for alternative spaces.
C) A boom box will be provided for sound.
D) Directors will receive one prop box and its corresponding key for the rehearsal/run. Any and all items rented from stock must be locked up after each rehearsal. Whomever signs the rental agreement will be held accountable for all such items.
E) There will be NO access to the makeup cabinets.
- Important Notes:
- Costumes/props CANNOT be altered in any way without prior approval.
- The dance floor CANNOT be removed from the lab.
- Platforms CANNOT be placed on top of the dance floor in the lab.
- If the director/designer would like to utilize a limited amount of costume, furniture, or props in stock they must submit a request in writing to the corresponding department no later than 4 weeks before opening. An appointment must be scheduled to receive and replace the stock at that time - simulating rental, but without a charge. Items that are borrowed from the costume shop that must be dry-cleaned will not be released without a signed purchase order for the cleaning expenses.
- Regardless of the space used, rehearsals for Student Theatre CANNOT be held after 11 p.m. or before 7 a.m.
- Other spaces can be used for Student Theatre including but not limited to Steeper Bell Auditorium, Room 102 Tyler, the Players Theatre, Ballroom, Ozone, Time Pieces, or a room in Lanigan.
- Purchases must be made via the Blackfriars treasurer, in line with the student association financial policies and are subject to approval by the SA Director of Finance.
- All items purchases with Student Theatre money becomes property of Blackfriars and the SA.
Number of productions per year has been decreased from 4 to 2 with one each semester. Meaning that instead of $250 per show, directors will receive $500.
Complete overhaul including the addition of designers and clarifications of amounts.
The Blackfriars Theatre Organization acknowledges and agrees to abide by the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct, all SUNY Oswego policies and procedures along with local, state and federal laws, along with the Student Association Constitution, laws and policies.
A. Initial ratification on May 31, 1976.
B. Amended on March 17, 1982:
1. Article V, Section 9 added.
2. Article VII, Section 9 amended.
C. All articles extensively amended on March 19, 1985 and approved on March 20, 1985.
D. Retyped January 28, 1989, no amendments.
E. Amended on September 23, 1993:
1. Article V, Section 5 amended.
2. Article VII, Section 1-4 amended.
3. Article VIII, Section 1-4 amended.
F. Retyped March 5, 1996.
G. Retyped September 30, 1997.
H. Retyped September 6, 1999.
I. Retyped September 5, 2000.
J. Amended on Nov. 15, 2000:
1. Article I, State Univ. of N.Y. College of Oswego added.
2. Article IV, Section 1 amended.
K. Amended on March 26, 2001:
1. Article VIII, Section 4-A amended.
2. Article V, Section 6 amended.
L. Amended on April 18, 2005:
1. Article XII, Student Theatre Committee’s Goal added.
M. Amended on October 2, 2007:
1. Article VII, Section 4 – amended.
BLACKFRIARS OFFICERS FOR 2007-2008
President – Michael J. Racioppa (312-5370)
Vice President – Lucaya Luckey-Bethany (312-4081)
Secretary – Kathryn M. Ahearn (312-5049)
Treasurer – Megan E. Myerov (312-6070)
Parliamentarian – Joshua R. Gadek (312-5370)
The duties of all the elected officers is described in Article V, “Elected and Appointed Officers and Their Duties,” Sections 1 - 6 of the Blackfriars constitution.