Preferred Name Policy

Preferred Name Policy

The SUNY Oswego preferred first name policy allows students and employees to officially notify the college of their preferred first names, and have this change reflected in on-campus communication systems, as long as the preferred first name is not used for purposes of misidentification, fraud or misrepresentation and that the preferred first name meets community standards (i.e. not profane, obscene, or derived from hate-speech; and conform to technical requirements).  There are limits to where preferred first names will be reflected in college communications.

This policy is consistent with current Title IX federal law protecting students against discrimination based on gender identity and expression, and is a best practice for supporting transgender and gender non-conforming members of college communities.  This service is not limited to use by transgender and gender non-conforming students and employees, however, and is available to anyone who uses a preferred first name on a daily basis other than their legal/primary first name.

The preferred first name is used for internal communication and certain external communications (i.e. website staff bio pages, sports information). Internal applications for the use of approved preferred first name include but may not be limited to: class rosters (including Blackboard), advising lists, housing lists, and email. SUNY Oswego ID Cards (employee/student identification cards) will display both legal and preferred first name. The College is obligated to use the legal first name for many official records and reports, including but not limited to: certain employment and payroll records, billing records, financial aid documents, official transcripts, diploma, medical records, employee benefits records, expense reimbursements, travel and purchasing authorizations, enrollment reporting, conduct hearing results, external reporting and federal immigration documents.

Requests for use of preferred first name shall be limited to one request per academic year.  

Further information and forms may be found at this site.  (scroll down)