Faculty and staff responsibilities for reporting

 Faculty and staff occasionally encounter a student who confides that they are not doing well academically or socially in college for various emotional or interpersonal reasons. Please encourage the student to contact a counselor (Counseling Services Center, 315.312.4416, located in Walker Health Center) to chat about their concerns. If you observe that a student is in distress or is not "present," or if you receive email messages, writing assignments or observe a classroom presentation with indications that the student may be distressed or disoriented, please feel free to immediately contact a counselor for the student. Our counselors will see students in distress quickly and will sometimes be able to come to your office if the need seems immediate to you. You may also call the Counseling Services Center and consult with a counselor to help you assess the student. Your help in assisting students to address personal barriers to their academic success is greatly appreciated by our students. Please see our distressed student procedure for more information.PDF icondistressed_student_procedure_flowchart_8-17-2015.pdf

If a student is deemed by their words or actions (angry, combative or irrational) to pose an immediate threat to others, please call University Police immediately at 315.312.5555.

Behavioral Intervention Team
In light of violent incidents at universities and colleges across the country in recent years, SUNY Oswego recognizes the need to establish a Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) on its campus.  The team seeks to assist students experiencing psychological de-compensation due to the stresses of an academic environment. The BIT consists of seven administrators who represent departments concerned with the health and safety of the college community.  Its purpose is to gather information about students who may exhibit behaviors of concern, assess the threat of violence in the form of harm to self or to the college community should the threat be directed toward others, and develop early intervention strategies to facilitate restoring the student’s coping skills to appropriate levels of functioning.

Disruptive student
In general, faculty and staff who encounter a disruptive student in the classroom, office or event venues may address the student's behavior directly and clarify expectations for the student's behavior, particularly within the context of a classroom activity or an event venue. If the behavior continues or takes on an increasingly disruptive character, report the incident to the department chair or director and contact the Dean of Students Office at 315.312.3378 to consider alternative actions. A disruptive student should be notified by the faculty or staff, verbally once, in writing thereafter, to cease the behavior or be subject to removal from the classroom or activity. If the student does not comply, contact University Police (315.312.5555) for assistance.

If disruptive behavior by a student is threatening or intimidating in any way, including email messages, call University Police immediately (315.312.5555).

Sexual and interpersonal violence in compliance with Title IX, the Violence Against Women Act and the Clery Act
The college encourages students, faculty, staff and visitors who experience sex discrimination, sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, domestic violence, dating violence or any form of interpersonal violence to report these instances so that the college can investigate. The reason for this is that sexual and interpersonal violence is particularly harmful to the reporting individual and creates a hostile learning environment. Therefore, the col­lege encourages reporting incidents of sex discrimination, including sexual and interpersonal violence so that the college can respond and maintain a safe learning environment through both prevention education and vigorous pursuit of a resolution to such a report.

To file a report or get more information, contact Title IX Coordinator Lisa Evaneski at 315.312.5604 (private voicemail) or lisa.evaneski@oswego.edu. The Title IX coordinator is responsible for monitoring overall Title IX and Violence Against Women implementation for the institution and coordinating compliance within all areas and departments covered under federal and state law.  Visit www.oswego.edu/title-ix for more information. 

Reporting crimes
When faculty or staff encounter a student who has observed or experienced criminal incidents, listen to the student and encourage them to contact University Police (315.312.5555). Ask the student to report in a detailed manner the time, date and location of the incident and the nature of the conduct. Further, a faculty or staff member who is informed of a crime by a student should then contact University Police to report the incident. 

In cases of sexual and interpersonal violence, if the victim/survivor/reporting individual does not want their name released, call University Police and alert them of the nature of the incident and email the details to the Title IX Coordinator (lisa.evaneski@oswego.edu).

If a student is the perpetrator of a crime, an investigation will ensue. If the student is the victim of a crime, the college will contact the student and provide information about campus and community services available to them. Options to pursue either legal or student conduct actions will also be explained to the student. In either case, the faculty or staff member who reported the incident will be informed of process and progress where possible.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act)
As mandated by the Clery Act, each college is required to report "statistics concerning the occurrence of certain criminal offenses reported to the local police agency or any official of the institution who is defined as a Campus Security Authority." Campus Security Authority is defined as "...an official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus student conduct proceedings." 

The criminal offenses that we are required to report are: murder/non-negligent manslaughter; negligent manslaughter, sex offenses (forcible and non-forcible), robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, liquor law violations, drug violations and/or illegal weapons possession. We are required to report offenses that occur on campus, in residence facilities, in extension program property, at off-campus student residences and student organization residences, and on property adjacent to the campus. 

SUNY Oswego also participates in the active process of crime statistic reporting in collaboration with the Oswego County Sheriff's Office and the Oswego City Police Department. Our community members travel between each of these jurisdictions frequently.  One may gain additional insight into the incidence and frequency of crime affecting campus through statistics compiled for the police jurisdictions adjacent to the campus. 

If you have questions or concerns about these reporting procedures, please contact the Dean of Students Office, 315.312.3378 (deanstaf@oswego.edu) or University Police, 315.312.5555 (police@oswego.edu).