To apply for a Village Community Director (VCD) position, please refer to the Human Resources "Employment Opportunities" web page. You will find a listing only if there is a vacancy for this position.
Village Community Director Job Description
The Village Community Director is responsible for the total functioning of The Village as an educational environment consistent with the academic and educational mission of the College.
A. Promote the development of both independent living and a community environment within The Village characterized by consideration, respect and appreciation of others.
B. Foster and pursue care and maintenance of the physical facilities for the comfort, health and safety of all residents.
C. Promote the development of an environment conducive to academic endeavors and achievement.
D. Assist students, whenever possible, to identify and work toward attaining personal and academic goals.
E. Promote the development of an environment conducive to student involvement and participation.
F. Encourage the development of students’ leadership skills.
G. Promote and support The Village mission.
II. ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
1. Select, supervise and train Village Assistants and other student employees.
2. Participate in staff development workshops.
3. Supervise and maintain appropriate housing records.
4. With assistance of student staff, open and close The Village at the beginning and end of the academic year.
5. Work with undergraduate staff to assure the efficient and effective functioning of The Village desk operation.
6. Communicate, explain and enforce procedures, rules and regulations of the department and the College with regard to residents and staff.
7. Participate in the judicial process by serving as hearing officer, complainant or advisor, as appropriate.
8. Be available to residents, building and departmental staff. Maintain regular office hours (including daytime and evening hours) as well as phone accessibility between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Take no more than one weekend away from campus per month.
9. Work with custodial and maintenance employees assigned to The Village in conjunction with the supervising janitor.
10. Promote and develop management procedures and practices, which preserve and enhance the physical plant. Oversee the recycling operation.
B. Student Development
1. Initiate sustainability programs and maintain activities of a developmental nature utilizing the Residence Life Curriculum and Divisional Strategic Plan.
2. Work with residents on individual developmental issues and make referrals as appropriate. Provide assistance to students in developing their interests and abilities.
3. Work with staff and residents to develop community within The Village.
4. Advise the Village Association and student staff toward achieving specific objectives.
5. Initiate and coordinate overall curriculum (student and community development) including development, implementation and evaluation of programs that are unique to The Village.
6. Assist in the development and implementation of campus-wide programs.
1. Participate in other programs as requested including summer and other departmental or divisional programs.
2. Assume on-call responsibility for the campus as assigned by the Residence Life and Housing Office.
3. Initiate and maintain effective communication with other members of the Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Division in implementing departmental and divisional objectives.
4. Serve on a divisional task force as directed by the Dean of Students or his designee.
5. Initiate and maintain cooperative relations with the University Police, Auxiliary Services (in particular Dining Services), and other administrative and academic departments. When possible, participate on college-wide committees.
6. Establish and maintain positive community relations with individuals, businesses and organizations off campus.
7. The Village Community Director may be involved in additional departmental tasks.
III. PERIODS OF ACADEMIC RECESS
Opportunities for summer employment may be available to the Village Community Director. Possible assignments include orientation, central office assignments, summer school and conferences, programming, development of undergraduate and professional training.
The Village Community Director may also be asked to assume other responsibilities during other periods of recess such as winter break and/or spring break. This may include committee work or other assignments in the Office of Residence Life and Housing.
IV. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
A. This is a ten-month live-in position. The term of employment is August 1 through May 31 each year.
B. The Village Community Director position is an entry-level assignment. To assist Directors in developing professional skills necessary to move beyond entry level positions, we have developed the Four Stage Professional Development Plan. Directors are encouraged to participate in the plan.
C. It is expected that the Village Community Director will be regularly available to residents and respond to crisis situations and emergencies as necessary. The Village Community Director is also expected to participate fully in pre-service professional, graduate, and student staff training in August, as well as mid-year training in January.
D. Occupancy of the assigned apartment is for the term of appointment. Check-in to and check-out of the apartment is to be arranged with the Residence Life and Housing Office. Residence Life and Housing furnishes all staff apartments. All department-owned furniture is to remain in the designated apartment. It is not to be removed from the apartment for any reason. The Village Community Director, if not working for the Department during the summer will be able to keep her/his apartment if s/he is returning as the director for the next academic year. If the Village Community Director is not working for the Department over the summer and wishes to remain living in their apartment, they will be expected to perform a minimum level of duties as long as they reside on campus. These assignments include, but are not limited to: professional on-call responsibilities, orientation sessions and staff searches. If the Village Community Director is not returning for the next academic year will typically be required to vacate their assigned apartment by July 1st.
E. The Village Community Director must abide by the department's pet policy in existence at time of employment.
F. Significant involvement outside of job responsibilities must be approved in writing in advance by the Director’s immediate supervisor. This includes, but is not limited to, involvement such as taking classes, performing internships, working, volunteering, coaching. Directors are not allowed to take on any additional employment or significant outside involvement in the first year of employment. Complete information regarding this can be found in the Professional Staff Manual.
G. The Village Community Director must abide by department and College policies and model mutual respect and inclusion for all residents.
H. The Village Community Director will not be assigned to any duties nor be subject to any terms that are inconsistent with the standards set forth by the representing union: United University Professions.
To apply for a Village Community Director (VCD) position, please refer to the Human Resources "Employment Opportunities" web page. If there is a vacancy for this position, you will find it listed there.