Student rights and responsibilities
In accordance with Chapter 416 of the Laws of 1988 and the State University Board of Trustees Resolution 89-130, adopted June 21, 1989, SUNY Oswego has adopted standards for policies on rights and responsibilities of student residents. In the development of policies, the college endorses and strives to incorporate the principles of the 1987 Association of College and University Housing Officers - International statement of student's rights and responsibilities. That statement is as follows:
Residents in university housing facilities possess specific individual and group rights and responsibilities which must serve to guide Housing personnel in making decisions concerning student welfare and behavior. The following statements define minimal expectations regarding these rights and responsibilities. Each resident has the right to engage in activities that are a part of campus life. However, these rights carry with them reciprocal responsibilities on the part of the individual to insure these same rights for other residents. Individuals must be educated regarding these particular rights and responsibilities that are associated with community living.
Students have the right . . .
- To have free access to their living accommodations.
- To live in a clean and secure environment.
- To expect a regionally competitive price on housing accommodations and/or food service.
- To written copies of college housing rules and regulations, or individual building policies which govern individual and group behavior.
- To the respect and safety of personal property.
- To study without interruption or interference.
- To be free from unreasonable noise.
- To be free of intimidation or harassment.
- To express themselves creatively within established guidelines.
- To expect enforcement of the housing agreement/contract.
- To direct access of staff who provide assistance, guidance, and support as needed.
- To host guests, within established guidelines.
- To equitable treatment when behavior is in question.
- To enjoy individual treatment when behavior is in question.
- To enjoy individual freedoms without regard to race, sex, national origin, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- To participate in student governmental bodies, and Housing departmental committees.
- To individual and group educational and developmental opportunities in their living community.
Students have the responsibility. . .
- To adhere to rules and regulations.
- To comply with reasonable requests made by staff, or university officials.
- To meet expected room and board payment schedules.
- To monitor and accept responsibility for behavior of guests.
- To report violations of rules and regulations to appropriate staff.
- To respect the rights of others, as stated above.
- To participate actively in self-governance.
- To participate in Housing departmental committees as requested.
- To express themselves individually, or by association with groups.
- To participate in judicial proceedings to determine appropriate standards of behavior.
- To contribute positively to the community by participating in educational and developmental activities.
- To keep their room, suite, lounge, and floor reasonably clean.
- To study and academically succeed to the best of his/her ability.
The residence hall license (Room and Board Agreement), student handbook and departmental publications are written, edited and reviewed with the intent of being clear, concise, and stated in common and every-day language. They contain the specific policies and procedures of SUNY Oswego that delineate rights and responsibilities as well as the campus judicial system and administrative review and appeals process used to enforce them.
|ResLife HOME!||Contact Us!||About Us!|
303 Culkin Hall
Oswego, NY 13126
- New Student FAQs
- Residence Halls & Communities
- Room Furniture Options
- Residence Halls info
- Village info
- Fitness Centers
- Residence Hall Security
- Meet the ResLife Staff
Students or parents needing assistance with the content of these ResLife pages should contact the Residence Life and Housing office at 315.312.2246 between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm. Thank you.