Resident Student Handbook

Learn about on-campus living, residence hall facilities and services, rules governing residential facilities, and more. This publication covers all policies, procedures, and guidelines you would need to know while living in one of our residential communities.

If you have any questions regarding information in this publication, please contact the Residence Life and Housing office by phone or email.

Resident Student Handbook (PDF)

Residence Life and Housing at SUNY Oswego


Living on campus is an integral part of the college experience at SUNY Oswego. Residence Life and Housing offers students more than just a place to live. We are committed to impacting the success of our students by creating holistic living and learning experiences where students are inspired to become engaged leaders as they move beyond our communities and into the world.

The residential education program is geared toward assisting students in achieving essential learning outcomes. Living in a residential environment is a unique and rich experience providing the opportunity for students to live in close proximity to persons whose backgrounds, goals, values and lifestyles often differ from their own. This living/learning environment requires of residents self-exploration, openness to diversity, participation in residential community activities and respect for the rights of others. The reward is the development of skills, attitudes and experiences that will serve them throughout their lives.

Oswego's housing policy requires that all single, full-time undergraduate students who are not 21 years-of-age live in College housing unless commuting from the domicile of their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) within 30 miles of campus and/or approved by the Department of Residence Life and Housing to live off-campus.

The Residence Life and Housing Department is staffed and structured to assist students in making personal adjustments and a smooth transition into the College community. Programs and policies are designed to help students understand the responsibilities of membership in this community, build connections, engage with others, and enhance their personal development. The standards, policies and procedures contained in this Handbook are designed to provide basic information about and foster understanding of our residential community. While we have attempted to make it as comprehensive as possible, inevitably some areas have not been included. Residents should contact Residence Life and Housing staff regarding any questions of interpretation or exclusion.


Residence Life and Housing will offer students more than just a place to live. We are committed to facilitating the success of our students by creating holistic living experiences where students learn to become engaged leaders within their communities and beyond.


Residence Life and Housing, in partnership with our residents, creates and maintains caring, inclusive communities where all Lakers know they belong and students live together, supported, and connected.


Residence Life and Housing provides modern updated facilities where students have individual and communal spaces to study and engage in a variety of activities; a home away from home.


Residence Life and Housing provides a home where students flourish in communities built and led by our dedicated team of professional staff and student mentors. We are committed to partnering with our residents to create an environment of care where residents can explore their personal identity, engage with others, and develop a deeper understanding of their impact on the world.


Residence Life and Housing prioritizes collaboration with campus partners for students to develop critical relationships that will help them succeed in and out of the classroom. Engaging activities and resources are brought to students’ doorstep offering students the opportunity to join together with their peers and experience memory making events where friendships are formed and last a lifetime.


Our residence hall environments support students as they pursue their academic program while also encouraging students to engage in lifelong learning beyond the classroom. We provide our students with a personalized Laker experience where residents are celebrated for who they are when they arrive and who they are when they graduate.

The Residential Community: A Community of Similarities & Differences

As you get to know the other students in your community, you will probably become aware of a number of differences. Some of these will be immediately apparent as you meet students of different races and nationalities. Other differences may become known over time as you learn more about each other: differences in socioeconomic status, political affiliation, religion, philosophy, lifestyle, physical ability, and interests. At the same time, there is much that you share in common; you are all college students living together in a residential community. And, you probably share many of the same concerns about both your academic and social college life. One of the most exciting and challenging learning experiences you will have in college is this experience of living with individuals who may be similar to you in some ways but different in others. Although the experience of living and learning with those different from yourself is not always easy, your success in building relationships within this community will serve you well long after your time in college.

While you are here you can choose to remain open to the diversity around you by sharing yourself with others and learning about them as well. Even if you do not share another's perspective, you will have an opportunity to gain a clearer understanding of the basis for your differences and will be ultimately more able to accept others for who they are and what they believe. To close yourself to persons or ideas based on past information or experiences, or because you feel uncomfortable or awkward, robs you of one of the richest learning experiences available to you here. It is understandable that you will want, at times, to seek out and spend time with individuals who share a similar background, interests and/or lifestyle; but it is also desirable to stretch your personal boundaries and expand your knowledge and understanding by availing yourself of opportunities to interact with a variety of individuals.

What YOU Do Is Important

As a resident student you are expected to respect your fellow residents and should expect that you will be treated with respect and courtesy in return. Communication is critical in creating this community of mutual respect. Small misunderstandings and acts or comments which inadvertently cause hurt to someone else can continue to grow and escalate if they are not discussed so that there can be learning and understanding. Acts of bias are often the result of inexperience, lack of understanding or ignorance, and can often be prevented from recurring through gentle confrontation and honest communication.

However, unfortunately, there are certainly some comments and acts which are intentionally meant to hurt and demean. Residents often choose to confront such behaviors on their own; however, they are always encouraged to bring acts of bias to the attention of residence life staff, all of whom are prepared to provide assistance. Confronting a situation or mediating a conversation is often sufficient to prevent recurrences of biased comments or behaviors, but at times other measures are necessary. Residence life staff support the belief that respect for individual and group differences is an appropriate expectation to place on resident students and when individuals act in a manner which shows disregard for the feelings of others, staff are trained and expected to intervene.

As a community member, YOU are encouraged to:

  • Set a positive example
  • Speak up against negative behavior
  • Offer support to victims of bias
  • Negotiate peaceful solutions to conflict
  • Inform staff of acts of bias and involve them in seeking a resolution
  • Give every member of the community the kind of respect that you want to receive from them
Student Learning and Success: Opportunities for Involvement and Growth

The on-campus advantage

Living on campus offers a wealth of exciting and interesting opportunities right in your own residential community, but it’s up to you to get involved. Why should you get involved? You’ll meet other students, get acquainted with faculty and staff, explore career possibilities, sharpen your academic skills, take part in community council, pick up a new skill, learn about a variety of issues and campus opportunities, and have a good time! Read on for more details…

Off to a good start!

When you first arrive on campus you will find programs to help you adjust to campus and residential community life. As part of your orientation we will offer programs on living with a roommate, personal safety, and dealing with differences. You will be exposed to an entire menu of other program offerings as the semester goes on.

A myriad of program possibilities

Your Resident Student Staff (RSS) - Resident Assistants/Village Community Assistants - will organize activities which might include floor dinners, intramural sports, movie nights, trips to local attractions, and a variety of other programs. In addition, RSS organizes a number of other activities and programs designed to meet your personal and academic needs. These programs are designed to build on your classroom experience and contribute to your development as a whole person.

Wherever you are in your college career or personal development - whether you are choosing a major or choosing a career, experiencing the excitement of a new relationship or the painful break-up of an old one, whether your interest is sports or music, literature or science, whether your concern is for housing security or the health of the planet - residential community programs can respond to both your needs and your interests. Don’t hesitate to let your hall staff know your ideas!

Where are these programs held?

Most activities and programs are held in floor or community lounges, although sometimes RSS will organize groups to attend out-of-hall programs elsewhere on campus. Watch for posters on the bulletin boards, digital signage, and/or announcements in your mailbox for upcoming programs organized by your residential community staff. If you would like to get more involved by offering a suggestion or planning a program yourself, the staff would be happy to have your participation.

Leadership opportunities

In addition to attending programs, resident students are encouraged to get further involved by participating in community council. This involvement can range from attending meetings once a week to running for an office. Community Council is an excellent place to gain leadership experience and offer input on residence life and campus policies and programs.


Rights and Responsibilities of Student Residents

Introduction to Rights and Responsibilities of Student Residents

In accordance with Chapter 416 of the Laws of 1988 and the State University Board of Trustees Resolution 89-130, adopted June 21, 1989, Oswego State has adopted standards for policies on rights and responsibilities of student residents. In the development of policies, the College endorses and strives to incorporate the principles of the 1987 Association of College and University Housing Officers - International statement of student’s rights and responsibilities. That statement is as follows:

Residents in university housing facilities possess specific individual and group rights and responsibilities which must serve to guide Housing personnel in making decisions concerning student welfare and behavior. The following statements define minimal expectations regarding these rights and responsibilities. Each resident has the right to engage in activities that are a part of campus life. However, these rights carry with them reciprocal responsibilities on the part of the individual to ensure these same rights for other residents. Individuals must be educated regarding these particular rights and responsibilities that are associated with community living.

The Housing and Dining License, Student Handbook and departmental publications are written, edited and reviewed with the intent of being clear, concise, and stated in common and everyday language. They contain the specific policies and procedures of SUNY Oswego that delineate rights and responsibilities as well as the student conduct system and administrative review and appeals process used to enforce them.

Students have the right...
  • To have free access to their living accommodations.
  • To live in a clean and secure environment.
  • To expect a regionally competitive price on housing accommodations and/or food service.
  • To written/electronic copies of college housing rules and regulations, or individual building policies which govern individual and group behavior.
  • To the respect and safety of personal property.
  • To study without interruption or interference.
  • To be free from unreasonable noise.
  • To be free of intimidation or harassment.To express themselves creatively within established guidelines.
  • To expect enforcement of the housing license.
  • To direct access of staff who provide assistance, guidance, and support as needed.
  • To host guests, within established guidelines.
  • To equitable treatment when behavior is in question.
  • To enjoy individual treatment when behavior is in question.
  • To enjoy individual freedoms without regard to race, sex, national origin, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
  • To participate in student governmental bodies, and Housing departmental committees.
  • To individual and group educational and developmental opportunities in their living community.
Students have the responsibility...
  • To adhere to rules and regulations.
  • To comply with reasonable requests made by staff, or university officials.
  • To meet expected room and meal plan payment schedules.
  • To monitor and accept responsibility for behavior of guests.
  • To report violations of rules and regulations to appropriate staff.
  • To respect the rights of others, as stated above.
  • To participate actively in self-governance.
  • To participate in Housing departmental committees as requested.
  • To express themselves individually, or by association with groups.
  • To participate in conduct proceedings to determine appropriate standards of behavior.
  • To contribute positively to the community by participating in educational and developmental activities.
  • To keep their room, suite, lounge, townhouse and floor reasonably clean.
  • To study and academically succeed to the best of their ability.


Residential Community Staff

Resident Student Staff (RSS)

Resident Assistants (RAs) and Village Community Assistants (VCAs) are selected student leaders who live in the residence halls to serve as counselors, advisors, communication links, and activity planners for an assigned section of the hall/complex.

Student Operations Services (SOS) staff

SOS Coordinators (SOSCs)

SOS Coordinators (SOSCs) are experienced upper-division students who assist the RHD and/or AHD in supervising the front desk, recycling and computer lab operations in each residence hall.

Desk Attendants (DAs)

Desk Attendants (DAs) are student employees who staff the front desk of each residential community. Their duties typically include sorting mail, communicating information and messages, and signing out equipment.

Recycling Technicians (RTs)

Recycling Technicians (RTs) are students who are employed to monitor the recycling rooms and the separation of recyclables from trash.

Professional Staff

Residence Hall Directors (RHDs)

Residence Hall Directors (RHDs) are full-time live-in professionals who supervise the staff and manage the complete operation of each residence hall. These individuals have Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees, generally in fields such as Higher Education or Counseling, and they reside in apartments within the hall/complex.

Village Community Director (VCD)

Village Community Director (VCD) is a full-time live-in professional who supervises the staff and manages The Village townhouses. This individual will have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, generally in fields such as Higher Education or Counseling, and they reside in apartments within the hall/complex.

Assistant Hall Directors (AHDs)

Assistant Hall Directors (AHDs) are full-time graduate students who live-in the residence halls. In most halls, the AHD assists the RHD in the overall management of a residence hall, specifically the operations of the hall.

Assistant Directors (ADs)

Assistant Directors (ADs) are experienced full-time professionals who supervise the RHDs/AHDs for several assigned buildings. Each AD lives in an apartment in one of their assigned residential communities. These individuals are part of the Residence Life and Housing Leadership Team and can be contacted at the main office in 303 Culkin Hall at 315.312.2246 (ext. 2246).

Central Office Staff

Central Office Staff provide administrative leadership and support to the department. Associate and Assistant Directors lead the residential education, staff development, facilities, and operations, student advocacy and housing assignments work of the department. The marketing and communications coordinator and administrative assistants provide additional support. These individuals are part of the Residence Life and Housing Leadership Team and can be contacted at the main office in 303 Culkin Hall at 315.312.2246 (ext. 2246).

For Emergency Assistance

In the event that residents need emergency assistance, there are a variety of sources available. A network of coverage exists for each individual residential community and on a campus-wide basis. In each community there is an on-call system which provides for RSS staff availability during evening and night-time hours. Information regarding who is on call for a particular community is available at the front desk. The Village Community Director, all Residence Hall Directors and Assistant Hall Directors share in on call coverage for the campus. If a resident requires the assistance of a Professional Staff and one is not available, University Police can assist 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 315.312.5555 (ext. 5555).


General Residential Information


Asbestos is a collective term used to describe a group of naturally-occurring mineral fibers. Asbestos was mined and used commercially in North America beginning in the late 1800s. Its use increased greatly during World War II. Since then, it has been used in many industries.

Exposure to asbestos may increase the risk of several serious diseases including asbestosis (scarring of the lungs), lung cancer, and mesothelioma (a rare cancer of the pleural cavity lining). Nearly everyone is exposed to asbestos at some time during their life; however most people do not become ill from their exposure.

It is important to realize that the danger posed by exposure to asbestos occurs when asbestos-containing materials (ACM) become damaged or friable (able to be crumbled under hand pressure) and release asbestos fibers into the air. Most experts agree that asbestos poses no danger if it is in good condition and not disturbed. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends oftentimes managing asbestos in-place as more prudent than removal. The College currently follows operations and maintenance procedures for managing asbestos in buildings. These procedures include building inspections of asbestos-containing materials to monitor and assess the condition of these materials. Any asbestos-containing material which is damaged is repaired or removed by New York State certified asbestos handlers. The facilities staff are trained in techniques for routine maintenance and cleaning of potentially asbestos containing materials without disturbing the integrity of the substance to avoid the possibility of exposure.

Asbestos is commonly used as an acoustic insulator, thermal insulation, fire proofing and in other building materials. Asbestos fibers are incredibly strong and have properties that make them resistant to heat. Many products are in use today that contain asbestos. Most of these are materials used in heat and acoustic insulation, fire proofing, and roofing and flooring. Although the EPA banned the manufacturing of asbestos in 1989, it was appealed in 1991 and some building materials still have asbestos as a constituent. Some of the more common products that may contain asbestos include:

  • Floor Tiles
  • Pipe Insulation
  • Mudded joints on pipe elbows or fittings
  • Sprayed-on building insulation
  • Wall plasters
  • Joint Compounds
  • Ceiling Plasters
  • Interior of fire doors
  • Mastic (glue)
  • Cove base molding

If any of the listed materials become damaged in your room, please notify your Residence Hall Director or the Residence Life and Housing Office. Appropriate personnel will then be notified to assess the situation. Any questions or concerns you may have regarding asbestos in College residential communities may be directed to Residence Life and Housing at 315.312.2246.

Break Housing

The College recognizes that some residents must remain in Oswego during periods of recess (i.e., Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks, and summer sessions) when our traditional residential communities are closed. The Department of Residence Life and Housing provides special Break and Summer Housing for our residents. Information about and applications for Break Housing may be obtained prior to each recess at

Community Council

There are two (2) governing bodies which consist of elected officers (generally a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer) and student representatives from each residence hall. The community councils are advised by Residence Hall Directors and they facilitate regularly-scheduled meetings that are open to all residents of that residential area. Community councils provide students with opportunities for involvement and leadership and they also provide students the opportunity to put forward input on departmental decisions. For information on how to become involved in the community council please speak with your hall director.

Closing & Opening Schedule and Procedure

All residence halls, except for The Village, are closed during the major recesses in the academic year (Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Break) as set forth in the College Calendar. Prior to these closings, special security arrangements are implemented. Residents planning to remain in the hall until closing time are required to communicate that to the Residence Hall Director. Building security is changed to restrict access to the building during this period. Therefore, accessibility for those persons staying in the building may significantly change. Anyone failing to comply with security arrangements will be required to leave the building and may be charged accordingly through the student conduct system.

Residents wishing to be housed during major recesses in the academic year must pay an additional prorated charge and specific accommodations will be determined by the College and may not be the resident's regularly assigned room. (For additional information, see the Break Housing section of the Housing and Dining License.)

Before residents leave for any break, they must:

  1. Pull up blinds (except 1st floor).
  2. Close windows tightly and lock.
  3. Empty wastebaskets and properly dispose of recyclables and garbage.
  4. Turn off lights and unplug all electronics, including refrigerator (Leave refrigerator door open).
  5. Dispose of food that may spoil.
  6. Make arrangements for care of animals and plants. Animals are not permitted to remain in the hall without their owner.
  7. Lock the door.
  8. Sign closing sheet and affix to room door.
Common Area Damages

Damages to public/common areas will be the financial responsibility of all residents of the area (wing, floor, section, or hall) unless someone accepts individual responsibility. If no responsibility is accepted, common area charges may be assessed to all students living in the affected area not to exceed current SUNY allowable limits.

Computer Rooms

Computer rooms are located in Hart, Scales, Oneida, and Waterbury Halls. Each is equipped with Mac and Dell PC computers connected to the campus network for email and internet access and is connected to a networked laser printer. Residents of Hart Hall, Scales Hall, and Waterbury Hall have 24-7 access to a computer room within the building. Oneida Hall residents may sign out the key at the front desk.

Decoration of Residential Areas

Individual Rooms

Affixing items to walls using tape, staples, tacks, nails, etc. may result in damage to the walls and subsequent charges for repair. Therefore, attaching items to walls is done at the student’s own risk. Strips for hanging pictures and other decorative items are provided in some student bedrooms. Pictures and posters may be hung on the room doors; tape, paint and marking pens should not be used on doors. Residents will be charged for cleaning or repairing both sides of their room door. Any alteration to the room that causes damage to the room is the responsibility of the occupants of that room. Any decoration which adds significantly to the combustibility of the room is prohibited. Please refer to the Fire Safety policy in this section for more specific regulations related to Furnishings and Decorations. Furniture, decorations and other items which increase the flammability of residents’ rooms or public areas may be prohibited at the discretion of Residence Life and Housing staff. Window curtains must meet NFPA 701 Standard.

Public Residential Areas

Decorations in the hall should not be excessive since they tend to increase the combustible load of the area in the event of a fire. Nothing should be attached to or hung from fire detectors, heat sensors, or ceilings. Ceiling lights may not be covered. Students may opt to decorate with fire-rated materials.

Holiday Decorations

Experience has shown that precautions must be taken when decorating for the holidays to assure personal safety and avoid damage to facilities. Here are some general guidelines to follow:

  1. Use only fire-resistant materials. These are generally no more expensive than flammable materials and goods. 
  2. Use aluminum papers and foils. 
  3. Use care when working with water colors and magic markers; they should not be applied to any building surface. Magic marker goes through construction paper and stains most surfaces including Formica.
  4. Use masking tape sparingly to prevent paint chipping from walls and woodwork.
  5. Use only Underwriters Laboratory (UL and ETL) approved equipment and materials.
  6. Natural Christmas trees are prohibited in ALL residential facilities. Noncombustible artificial trees may be used in rooms and floor lounges.
  7. Protect personal safety by refraining from blocking exits or decorating corridor lights and fire detectors.
  8. Candles and other open flames are prohibited.
  9. Use decorative lighting sparingly so that electrical consumption will not be increased. 
  10. Please use LED lighting as other holiday lights may heat up and damage walls.

When overcrowding (or PLUS Occupancy) exists, the process of breaking down these over-occupied rooms begins as soon as vacancies are identified. Under most circumstances, residents in PLUS Occupancy are given first priority for available space before residents from other halls who would like to change buildings. The decision as to which roommate will leave the over-occupied room is typically left to the roommates.


To ensure safety, all elevators are inspected weekly and tested annually. Elevators are for the sole purpose of riding from one floor to another. Misuse of elevators (holding the doors open, jumping, etc.) may cause damage to the elevator. Individuals found responsible for damage to the elevators may be held financially responsible.

Items lost down the shaft of the elevator should be reported to the Residence Hall Director. Retrieval of items from the elevator shaft may be billed to your student account.

Employment Opportunities

Numerous opportunities exist for student employment with the Residence Life and Housing Department. The positions, pay scale and qualifications are listed below. For further information, please refer to our website found at

Resident Student Staff (RSS)

Resident Assistant (RA)

  • # of positions available
    • 126
  • Compensation:
    • Single Room
    • 1/2 15 block meal plan
    • Resnet
  • Minimum Qualifications
    • Cumulative GPA of 2.4 with a minimum of a 2.0 semester GPA beginning with the semester immediately prior to, and during each semester of, employment.
    • Sophomore standing/complete 1 year out of high school
    • One semester as resident student at a college/university
    • Minimum academic load of 12 hours/semester

Village Community Assistant (VCA)

  • # of positions available
    • 4
  • Compensation:
    • Single Room
    • 1/2 of 15 block meal plan or no meal plan
    • ResNet
  • Minimum Qualifications
    • Cumulative GPA of 2.4 with a minimum of a 2.0 semester GPA beginning with the semester immediately prior to, and during each semester of, employment.
    • Sophomore standing/complete 1 year out of high school
    • One semester as resident student at a college/university
    • Minimum academic load of 12 hours/semester
    • Must be a current RSS staff member of four semesters or higher

Student Operations Services Staff (SOS)

Desk Attendant (DA)

  • # of positions available
    • 6-8 per hall
  • Compensation:
    • Minimum Wage
  • Minimum Qualifications
    • Must reside on campus during term of employment
    • 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA

Recycling Technician (RT)

  • # of positions available
    • 2-4 per hall
  • Compensation:
    • Minimum Wage + $.50
  • Minimum Qualifications
    • Must reside on campus during term of employment
    • 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA

Student Operations Services Coordinator (SOSC)

  • # of positions available
    • 1 per hall
  • Compensation:
    • Minimum Wage + $.50
  • Minimum Qualifications
    • Must reside on campus during term of employment
    • 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA
    • At least one semester as a Desk Attendant at Oswego
Front Desks

Each residential community has a front desk adjacent to the main lobby. The desk is a center of activity, where information and services are available on a daily basis. Desk services include providing items for sign-out such as kitchen utensils, vacuum cleaners, games, and recreational equipment. Residents should check with the front desk staff for the specific items and sign-out procedures in their community. This is also where residents’ mailboxes are located and where packages can be picked up.

Residence Hall Desk Hours

  • Monday -Thursday: 10 am-10 pm
  • Friday: 10 am - 12 am (midnight)
  • Saturday: 12pm (noon)-12 am (midnight)
  • Sunday: 12 pm (noon) - 10 pm

The Village Desk Hours ONLY

  • Monday -Friday: 10 am - 10 pm
  • Saturday-Sunday: 12 pm (noon) - 10 pm
Guest Registration Procedure

On-Campus Guests

Resident guests should visit the hall front desk with their host each time they enter the building. The host and the guest will both swipe their SUNY Oswego ID cards into the Front Desk Website.

Off-Campus Guests

Daytime Guests: 7 am - 12 am

The Guest will need to complete the following steps to obtain their guest pass:

  1. Register at (Note: Only need to do this once.)
  2. Upon arrival, the visitor and the host must check in at the front desk with the approved guest pass. The host must log-in via and follow prompts for a daytime guest visitor pass.

Overnight Guests: 12 am - 7 am

The Guest will need to complete the following steps to obtain their guest pass:

  1. Register at (Note: Only need to do this once.)
  2. Upon arrival, the visitor and the host must check in at the front desk with the approved guest pass. The host must log in via and follow prompts for an overnight guest visitor pass.

All Guests must present their guest pass to campus officials if asked for it. Guests without a pass or an expired pass will be asked to leave the building. See Guests in the Rules Governing the Residence Halls section in this Handbook for further information.


The desired temperature in resident rooms is 68 degrees. Since 68 degrees is not a particularly high temperature, it is important to allow the heating system to be as efficient as possible. The most important factors are to keep the space near the radiators clear (at least 12") for air circulation and make sure that both windows, inside and storm, are tightly closed.

Residents who believe their room is cold should contact the front desk. In response, a staff member will check the room temperature and see if the problem can be identified. An appropriate maintenance person will be contacted if necessary. There is no case in which a resident should be in a room below 68 degrees for longer than one or two hours after notification of staff. If a quick solution is not possible, portable heaters will be issued by Residence Life and Housing as a temporary solution until the problem can be remedied.

Insuring Personal Property

The College does not assume any liability or responsibility for loss or damage to personal property of residents except when negligence on the part of the College is established. There are occasions when system failures result in loss or damage to a resident's personal property. Residents who find themselves in this position frequently believe that the College should be responsible for restitution; however, the College would not be responsible unless it was aware that the situation that caused the problem existed and did not resolve that situation, thereby resulting in loss or damage to personal property. To establish negligence, persons are usually required to file a suit against the State of New York in the Court of Claims. Persons believing their loss was the result of negligence should contact the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing for clarification.

All residents are encouraged to lock their doors and secure their belongings. They should also review their family insurance to determine whether they have appropriate coverage for their personal property while they are away at school and are encouraged to obtain appropriate insurance coverage.


Residential Network


All residential communities are part of the SUNY Oswego Wireless Network. When attempting to connect a device to our wireless network, residents have two options; Oswego-Secure-RES and Oswego-Gaming-RES. Oswego-Secure-RES allows for the connection of tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop computers whereas Oswego-Gaming-RES allows for the connection of gaming consoles, streaming devices, and Smart TVs.


The majority of our resident rooms are equipped with a wired network port for each resident.

Gaming Network

In order to connect gaming or streaming devices in the resident rooms, residents must first register their device at Once the device is registered, residents can connect to either the wireless, Oswego-Gaming-RES, or to the wired network via Ethernet cable.

The per semester connection fee is included on your college bill.

If residents experience problems with their connection, please reach out to the Campus Technology Services Help Desk at or 315.312.3456.


Kitchen facilities are available in each residential community. Generally, the number of kitchens per student is low and those facilities are primarily used for special occasions such as baking birthday cakes and cooking group dinners. Cooking utensils, including pots and pans, can be signed out from most residential community front desks.

Laundry Rooms

Each residence hall is equipped with laundry machines for use by residents. Laundry rooms are located in the basement of each hall; each Village townhouse is equipped with a washer and dryer. The per semester user fee is included in each student's College bill. Any needed repairs to laundry machines should be submitted to the front desk of your residence hall. Village residents please contact the 1-800 number located on your washing machine to set up service for your machine. For safety reasons ironing is permitted only in laundry rooms. Irons should not be left unattended.


Mail is delivered to the residential communities daily Monday - Friday except federal holidays and periods of academic recess.

Each resident is assigned a mailbox located near the front desk of each residence hall. Mail is received and sorted at the front desk.

Mail sorting will work most efficiently if mail is addressed in the following manner:

Student Name (last name is very important!)
______ Hall or Building, Mail Box (or Room*) #______
Street Address (see below)
Oswego, NY 13126

*In Oneida and Onondaga, roommates share a mailbox; in these halls, the mailbox numbers are the same as the room numbers. To send mail to students in these halls, please include the student’s room number in the address.

In most residential communities, each resident has their own mailbox; in these communities (Cayuga, Hart, Johnson, Riggs, Scales, Seneca, Waterbury Halls and The Village), the mailbox number is different from the room number. To send mail to students in these halls, be sure to include the student’s mailbox number in the address.

Please note that the College is not responsible for cash or valuables sent through the mail.

Mail Parcel Lockers

Seneca, Onondaga, Riggs, and Johnson use parcel lockers for packages. Parcel lockers make it easier for the student to pick up packages anytime of day. Most packages are logged at the parcel locker and signed for by the Receiver. Students will receive an email with the combination pin, only available for a specific amount of time to access their package from the locker. Any packages too large for the parcel locker will be logged at the front desk and students will receive an email indicating they have a package held at the front desk.

Residential Community Street Addresses

  • Cayuga Hall..........................20 Cayuga Circle
  • Funnelle Hall........................25 Union Road
  • Hart Hall..............................15 Union Road
  • Johnson Hall........................20 Rudolph Road
  • Oneida Hall..........................10 Onondaga Circle
  • Onondaga Hall......................20 Onondaga Circle
  • Riggs Hall............................28 Rudolph Road
  • Scales Hall...........................34 Rudolph Road
  • Seneca Hall..........................47 Cayuga Circle
  • Waterbury Hall......................30 Rudolph Road
  • The Village: A-F ...........................90 Iroquois Trail
  • The Village: G-L ...........................80 Iroquois Trail

Students who are leaving campus for the summer or are separating from the college, graduating, or withdrawing should update their forwarding address at myOswego.

Mail Forwarding

First Class mail will be forwarded for one year. If no forwarding address is on file, the mail will be returned to the sender. Second Class and Third Class mail will not be forwarded and will be returned to sender or discarded. Residents are asked to update their address at myOswego as part of the check-out process.

Maintenance Concerns

The standards for custodial and maintenance work are contained in this Handbook in the "Minimum Living Condition Standards for University Residence Halls" section. Students should request repairs and/or report maintenance and custodial concerns by submitting an online service request (iService) on the Facilities Maintenance & Operations web page. Residents may need to schedule an appointment, as Maintenance staff will be unable to enter the room without the resident present or without prior consent from the resident and any roommate(s). Although we strive to deal with each report effectively, errors do occur. Residents should persist in reporting problems until they are resolved and maintenance emergencies should be reported to the front desk. If the desk is closed, contact the RSS on call or University Police (5555).

Medical Accommodation Housing Requests

Students with specific housing needs due to a medical necessity can request such by following the Medical Housing Consideration Policy and Process.

Properly submitted requests are reviewed on a regular basis by Accessibility Resources. Approved requests (such as granting of a “Medical Single Room”) are honored on a space available basis. Approval is valid for the balance of the current academic year; requests must be re-submitted for each subsequent academic year.

Posting and Distributing Promotional Material in Residential Communities

Each residential community has posting space on resident floors and in the main lobby area. Typically, floor bulletin boards are used to advertise in-hall/floor activities (area council, programs, etc.), registered student organizations’ activities and official announcements from College departments. Limited space is available in lobby areas for advertising by individuals and organizations not registered with the College.

Procedure to Post

Posting must conform with the campus policy on “Posting Promotional Material on Campus” which can be found in the Student Handbook. Organizations from outside Residence Life and Housing may request approval for posting promotional materials in residential facilities by emailing Posting of the material is the sole responsibility of the hall/community director and staff.

Note: For the purposes of the posting policy, any area outside of an individual student room, including the side of the door facing the corridor, is considered public space.

  1. The following is the number of postings each building requires for the floor bulletin boards:

    • Cayuga Hall..........................18
    • Funnelle Hall........................9
    • Hart Hall..............................17
    • Johnson Hall........................9
    • Oneida Hall..........................18
    • Onondaga Hall......................21
    • Riggs Hall............................8
    • Scales Hall...........................8
    • Seneca Hall..........................21
    • Waterbury Hall......................9
    • The Village...........................2

    *flyers must be separated and labeled per hall.
  2. Postings should be no larger than 11" x 17".
  3. All information on postings must conform with College Policies and be consistent with the programmatic objectives of Residence Life and Housing.
  4. Posting will be done by building staff assigned that responsibility, not the representatives of the posting organization.
  5. Postings will be displayed as soon as reasonable, and removed and destroyed after the date of the event.

Procedure for Mailbox Distribution of Promotional Materials

Mailbox distribution of material will occur only under the following guidelines:

  1. All materials with proper U.S. postage will be distributed.
  2. Distribution of materials without U.S. postage will be limited to:
    a. College offices and departments
    b. Building purposes
    c. Registered student organizations with approval of the Residence Life and Housing Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
Recovered Property Policy

Periodically, lost personal property is found in residential communities. Such items usually fall into two categories: owner-identified and owner-unidentified. During periods when residential communities are occupied and during periods of recess, found items should be turned in at the front desk. If no owner is identified during a reasonable period (2-4 weeks), the item will be transferred to University Police.

At the conclusion of the Spring Semester, items that are found for which ownership can be determined (such as labeled personal property) should be given to the appropriate building director or University Police. The owner will be notified that the property has been found and asked to advise regarding disposition.

Property that is not identified must be disposed of in compliance with Article 7B of the New York State Property Law. Under this law as applied to the SUNY campus, persons are required to surrender found items to University Police. University Police are then required to log and store the property and dispose of it in the following manner:

  1. If the person who found the item is not an employee of the State of New York and no one comes forward to claim the property, after a specified period of time determined by the value of the property, University Police will return the found item to the finder and it will become the finder’s property.
  2. If the finder is an employee of the State of New York and no one comes forward to claim the item, the finder may not claim the property. Instead, the property that remains unclaimed after the prescribed period of time must be placed in public auction, with the proceeds going to the State's general fund.

It should be noted that failure to follow the steps indicated above is a misdemeanor.


Oswego County has a mandatory program that requires recycling of metals, glass, container plastics and most paper, pizza boxes, newspapers and magazines. Residents must bring their trash and recyclables to the designated location(s) in each building (typically the hall's Recycling Room). Residents can learn of procedures in each building from the residential community staff. Specific hours of operation for the Recycling Room will be posted in your residential community.


Compact refrigerators that clearly conform to proper electrical and chemical standards, operate on no more than 2.0 amps, have a capacity not exceeding 6 cubic feet and have outside dimensions that do not exceed 48 inches, are permitted. Two refrigerators are allowed per resident room; each must be UL/ETL-approved. Microfridges may also be rented through Campus Specialities at Campus Specialities will deliver the Microfridge to your room prior to move in and pick it up at the end of the academic year.

Removal of Personal Belongings

All residents must vacate the residential community and remove all personal belongings from the premises in accordance with the release or expiration of the Housing and Dining License. If personal belongings are not removed from the premises, the resident, by signing the Housing and Dining License, authorizes and agrees to pay a per day room rental charge to the College for each day that the room was not available for reassignment by the College. Further, the resident agrees to pay such fees as are assessed by the College for the labor involved in the removal and temporary storage of the resident’s personal belongings, and the College shall not be responsible for any resulting loss or damage to those belongings abandoned by the resident.

Residence Hall Waiting Lists

Students who wish to move to a different room and/or residence hall can request a room change; returning students can do so by adding their names to Waiting Lists for specific residence halls. This is accomplished online at Please note that adding oneself to a Waiting List does not guarantee that the student will have the opportunity to change rooms.

New students are to contact their Residence Hall Director to discuss the reasons they would like to move. If deemed necessary, the Residence Hall Director will add the student to the appropriate Waiting List(s).

Residential Community Security

General Information

All exterior doors to residence halls are locked 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Please see Residential Communities and Dining Centers Entrance Protocols later in this Handbook.

United States Postal Service (USPS), UPS, FedEx ground/air, and Campus Mail will be given access to the residence halls. Other deliveries such as food, flowers, etc., will require the person placing the order to be available to meet them at the entrance of the building by giving the delivery person a phone number at which you can be reached. If the previous method will not work, alternate arrangements must be made by the orderer.

Policies and Procedures

In order to assure reasonable security, the following policies and procedures are in place:

  1. Lost keys are to be reported to the hall director by the residents of the room as soon as possible after the loss is detected. Lost keys are replaced by re-keying the lock and making new keys for all residents affected. A charge for the costs involved is assessed to the individual who lost the key(s).
  2. All residential community front desks are open each day to provide assistance to residents.
  3. Non-residents of the building are considered guests and must register and be accompanied by a resident in order to be in the building.
  4. A telephone is located in the foyer of each building to facilitate the implementation of these security systems.
Residential Communities and Dining Centers Entrance Protocols

Residential Communities

All residence hall exterior doors are locked 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Only students assigned to a specific residence hall and their registered guests will have access to the residence hall community.

  • Each building’s residents will be able to enter their residence hall at designated entrances by use of their I.D. card 24 hours per day when college is in session.
  • Each residence hall exterior door is labeled on the exterior side to indicate the type of authorization required to open the door.
  • Selected residence hall doors are available to residents of the building for entrance during specific times. Please consult with your hall staff or the poster on the exterior of the door.
  • Registered guests must enter via the main entrance to the building.

Faculty assigned to Hart and Johnson Halls and staff of the Department of Residence Life and Housing are given appropriate access to designated residential communities.

Dining Centers

During hours of operation, Lakeside, Cooper and Pathfinder Dining Centers may be accessed via the following entrances:

  • Lakeside main entrance
  • Lakeside via Riggs/Lakeside tunnel
  • Cooper via Hart/Cooper tunnel
  • Pathfinder via Pathfinder tunnel

Students not residing in Seneca and Cayuga Hall will need to access Pathfinder Dining Hall either through the side door or backside of Pathfinder

Respect for Residence Life Staff

Members of the Residence Life staff are to be able to perform their assigned duties free of harassment, intimidation or menacing behavior from those with whom they work. When a staff member is engaged in the performance of authorized duties, the following behavior by residents or their guests is strictly prohibited. The following violations may result in disciplinary action including arrest, removal from residence and suspension:

  1. Verbal abuse (including, but not limited to ethnic, sexist or racial slurs).
  2. Physical intimidations or menacing behavior directed at the staff member.
  3. Display of visual materials that demean or humiliate a staff member.
  4. Interference with a staff member engaged in the performance of assigned duties.
  5. Failure to comply with a reasonable request from a staff member.
  6. Failure to respond to the questions or instructions (including opening of a room door) of a staff member in the performance of their assigned duties.
  7. Failure to acknowledge and comply with a staff member's request to enter a resident's room when that staff announces that they are acting in the performance of their assigned duties.
Room Damages

The baseline condition of the room at the time of occupancy is established by completing a Room Inventory and Condition Record (RCR) form. This process is done with a Resident Student Staff member and is a shared responsibility. Residents are financially responsible for any damages to facilities and furnishings that exceed normal wear and tear. Upon release from the Housing and Dining License (which for most persons occurs at the end of an academic year) or at any time that a resident changes from one room to another, an inspection must occur.

At the time of inspection, an RSS member will identify any damages and discuss with the residents of the living unit the assignment of responsibility. The resident(s) will be advised of the charge or estimate at the time of checkout. If we can not determine who is responsible for the damage, the cost of the damages will be split equally among occupants of the room. The resident(s) will receive a bill of damage(s) and an explanation of their right of appeal electronically to their email address.

Residents have the option to do an express check out by completing an express checkout form at any time and turning in their keys to their hall front desk or the village commons in the envelope provided. Any damages that are found upon inspection will be assessed after the resident has vacated. However, if this option is chosen, the resident will waive their right to appeal any damage charges that have been assessed.

Payment of damage charges is due within 30 days of billing. Once damage charges have been collected, every effort is made to repair the damage as quickly as possible. Exceptions to this would be due to shortages of personnel or instances when only partial payments were assessed and collected.

Room Entry

Requests for entry into resident rooms/suites/townhouses by College personnel is infrequent and would occur only under the following circumstances:

  • When residents are present, staff members will knock on the door, announce themselves and request entry just to visit or perhaps to accomplish some administrative task such as a repair, survey, etc.
  • Periodically to inspect rooms (not personal possessions, desk drawers, etc.) to determine their condition for health and safety purposes. In this case, written notice is given to residents at least 48 hours in advance of the inspection. Typically, in this situation rooms will be entered whether or not the occupants are present. As part of the vacation closing procedure, staff do check closets to be sure the room is empty. For further information regarding student privacy, please refer to the "Privacy" section in the Student Handbook.
  • The college reserves the right to enter, repair, inventory, inspect, or search, and students expressly consent to such entry or entries into any student space at any time, including but not limited to health and safety inspections of residence hall rooms. This includes Residence Life staff, University Police Department officers, Facilities staff, and any other College employees or contractors who have a legitimate need to enter the space.
  • To halt the continuation of an activity where imminent danger to life, safety, health, or property is reasonably feared and/or appears to be in violation of federal, state or local laws or College policy. College staff members will knock, announce themselves and request entry. If there is no response or the request for entry is denied, College staff members will obtain entry to the room to resolve the situation. Frequently University Police will be asked to participate in this response.
  • To affect emergency repairs or deal with an emergency situation and maintain building security during break periods, College staff may enter a room without the occupants’ knowledge. In these instances, a notice will be posted on the inside of the door identifying to the residents the person who entered and the purpose for that entry.

In no instance are College personnel authorized to search a room by looking through closed drawers, etc. without a court-issued search warrant.

Room Inventory and Condition Records

Whenever a resident moves into a room, the condition of that room is determined by the resident and Resident Student Staff. The information is recorded on the Room Inventory & Condition Record (RCR). It is the responsibility of the resident to thoroughly examine and note the condition of all listed items. The resident's signature on the inventory form indicates agreement with the stated condition of each item and any deterioration in the condition of the room, beyond normal wear and tear, is the financial responsibility of the resident.

Inspection for residential community damages which will be assessed to resident students are conducted, when possible, before residents vacate the residential community. At the time of check-out, student residents are informed of the damages which have been identified as assessable to them. To the extent possible, at the time damages are identified, student residents are given a standard repair summary listing the estimated costs for damages. Resident students who vacate residential communities without formal notification to campus officials will not receive pre-departure inspection or damage identification procedures prior to the assessment of damages; they also forfeit appeal rights.


Living with a new roommate can be an excellent experience; but, as in any relationship, conflict is a possibility. Two important things each roommate can do to establish respect and a positive relationship are:

  1. get to know each other; and
  2. communicate.

It is important for all residents to understand that the residence hall room is each roommate's "home." Each roommate should be comfortable living in the room. If one or both residents feel that they are communicating but still have not resolved any issues, they are to contact their Resident Student Staff (RSS). RSS members are trained in mediation and conflict resolution. Most often, residents will find that there is a simple solution and simply a trained, neutral party can help roommates resolve issues. If additional mediation or intervention is needed, the Hall Director or Assistant Director will work with the students to find resolution.

A room change may seem like an easy way out, but will not solve the issues each roommate may face in sharing living space, thus resulting in recurring problems with future roommates. Through education and encouragement, solutions to these conflicts can often be found and the need for a room change eliminated. However, if a sincere effort has been made and a resolution has not been obtained, a room change could be possible upon availability and professional staff approval.

Room Rates, Billing, & Adjustments

Oswego Guarantee: Our Commitment to Excellence and Educational Value

Through its Oswego Guarantee, the College shows its commitment to students’ ability to complete their academic program in four years if they meet certain requirements. The Guarantee further promises that students will not experience a housing or meal rate increase for four consecutive years. Therefore, students’ room rates are determined by the year that they first matriculated at the College. Students assigned to The Village will pay their Oswego Guarantee Single Room Rate. *This is a summary of the Oswego Guarantee; for more information read the full text.

Room Rates

Based on the Oswego Guarantee, a student’s room rate is based on their year of first matriculation at SUNY Oswego. Each student’s Oswego Guarantee Room Rate is further broken down by Room and/or Occupancy Type; the specific residential facility assignment (specific residence hall or The Village) does not influence room rates. The Oswego Guarantee does not apply to break or summer housing rates.

Billing Procedures & Housing Payment Adjustments

New students are billed the standard double rate with an adjustment made if they are assigned to Plus Occupancy and remain there after the seventh calendar day following and including the first instructional day of the first and third academic quarters or the first day of the second and fourth academic quarters. A resident who receives notification from the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing or designee of a change in occupancy or assignment effective with the beginning of the next academic quarter will be recorded in that changed occupancy and billed accordingly.

Housing payment/room rental adjustments are based on the date:

  • personal belongings are removed from the room/suite/townhouse,
  • assigned keys are returned,
  • the room/suite/townhouse is inspected by a member of the Residence Life staff,
  • debts related to room rental incurred by the resident have been paid in full to the College. and
  • the resident officially checks out of the room/suite/townhouse

Students withdrawing from the College or released from residence after August 1, but prior to taking occupancy, who have prepaid room and meal plans are entitled to an adjustment.

Withdrawal from College

Residents withdrawing from the College are required to submit a Release from Housing License to the Residence Life and Housing office at the earliest possible date. The form must be signed by the student and must include the student’s identification number and the date on which the withdrawal becomes effective.

Residents who withdraw from the College during an academic semester must vacate the residential facility and remove all personal belongings from the premises no later than 11:59 pm of the date on which termination of this license becomes effective.

In the event a resident withdraws or is academically disqualified from the College after the fall semester and before the beginning of the spring semester, the resident must officially request to be released from their housing license, remove all personal belongings from their assigned room and officially check-out of the residential community by the deadline given; such deadline will likely be before the date of re-opening of the residential facilities for the spring semester, which is published on the College Calendar.

Release from License

All requests for release from the License must be submitted via the Request for Release from the Housing and Dining License form with documented proof of the circumstances related to the release request. If these circumstances change after the Student is released from the License, the release will become invalid and the Student will again be obligated to the terms of the Housing and Dining License. Students may not request release from the License based on disciplinary action.

Typical Releases

A student may request release from the License with supporting documentation for one of the following reasons:

  1. Graduation from SUNY Oswego, or
  2. Involvement in University-sponsored academic programs such as student teaching, study abroad, or internship, that make it impossible for Student to commute from the Oswego campus, or
  3. Approved medical, psychological or disability need that cannot be accommodated on-campus, or
  4. Confirmed change in financial status, or
  5. Voluntary official withdrawal or approved leave of absence from the College, or
  6. Active military duty.

Under these circumstances, if the request is made 30 days prior to the first check-in date for the semester and the release is granted, the student will not be charged a $300 release fee. If the request is made after the start of the semester and a release is granted, students will be charged the $300 release fee and be liable for associated housing and dining based on the effective date of approved release.

These requests for release will be acted upon by Residence Life and Housing following consultation with appropriate offices and verification of information provided. Decisions are made solely on the basis of the documentation submitted to the appropriate offices and whether the justification for release meets acceptable circumstances.

Other Releases

Students generally will not be released from their license unless they can set forth one of the circumstances described above. However, there may be other opportunities for release based on occupancy needs. Approval of releases is within the sole discretion of Residence Life and Housing. If approved, the student will be liable for housing and dining costs according to the schedule below:

Full Academic Year Resident (fall and spring semester)

License Release Fee License Liability**
Approved release date prior to first check-in date* for Fall Semester. $300 No liability. Housing and dining charges will be removed from the student’s account.
Approved release date after first check-in date* but prior to the first day of classes. $300 Prorated week charge for housing and dining based on effective date of vacancy. Students released in the fall semester will not incur spring housing and dining charges.
Approved release date prior to the final date to drop a semester course $300 50% of semester housing and dining charges. Students released in the fall semester will not incur spring housing and dining charges.
Approved release date after the final date to drop a semester course $300 100% of semester housing and dining charges. Students released in the fall semester will not incur spring housing and dining charges.
Approved release date prior to the first check-in date* for the Spring Semester. $300 50% liability for spring semester housing and dining charges.
Approved release date after first day of classes for the Spring Semester $300 100% liability for spring semester housing and dining charges.

Spring Only Resident

License Release Fee License Liability**
Approved release date within 30 days prior to the first check-in date* for the spring semester $300 No liability. Housing and dining charges will be removed from the student’s account.
Approved release date after first check-in date* and prior to the first day of classes $300 Prorated week charge for housing and dining based on effective date of vacancy.
Approved release date prior to the final date to drop a spring semester course $300 50% of spring semester housing and dining charges.
Approved release date after the final date to drop a spring semester course $300 100% of spring semester housing and dining charges.

*Check-in dates can be found on the Residence Life and Housing website.

**All adjustments to student accounts will be based on the effective date of vacancy, prorated by the week.


If a request for release is denied, the student may submit a written appeal to the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing. The appeal and all supporting documentation must be submitted by email to Residence Life and Housing within five business days of the date of the original decision. A student whose request for release is denied is responsible for the cost of the assigned space and the applicable dining charge through the remainder of the academic year even if they choose to vacate the assigned room and live elsewhere.

Request for Release Ineligibility

If a student is suspended from on-campus housing and/or the College, the student remains bound to the License and will be responsible for the full cost of their housing and dining license for the remainder of the semester in which disciplinary action is finalized. If this action is taken after the close of the fall semester, but before the beginning of the spring semester, the Student will be billed the $300 release fee.

Official Release from Occupancy

All students that are approved for release from their Housing and DIning License must:

  • Remove all personal property from the room/suite/townhouse.
  • Have the room/suite/townhouse inspected by a Residence Life and Housing staff member, including completion of the Room/Suite/Townhouse Inventory and Condition Record.
  • Turn in any assigned keys at the front desk of the community.
  • Complete all other official check-out procedures.
  • Failure to do so by the stated deadline may result in:
    • Continued room rental charges for the period of elapsed time until such action is completed by the resident, and/or
    • Financial charges for the cost of the labor and materials used to pack and temporarily store abandoned personal property, and/or
    • Disposal of personal property not reclaimed after temporary storage.

Room Selection and Assignments

First year and transfer students are assigned by the College using the preferences indicated by each student and the availability of accommodations. Returning students participate in a room selection process early in the spring semester of each year and are generally allowed to request their own roommate and building depending upon the availability of accommodations. Students wishing to live on campus for the upcoming year must complete all steps of the room selection process on time as prescribed in order to guarantee the largest number of options from which to choose. Since the Housing and Dining License is for the entire academic year, students who have met the housing requirement and whose priority is to live off-campus SHOULD NOT participate in the room selection process. They may still have the option of living on campus if they do not find suitable off-campus housing; however, they will not have the on-campus choices they would have had if they had participated in the spring room selection process. Students are encouraged to ask their Residence Hall Director/Village Community Director or call the Residence Life and Housing Office for more information about room selection and assignments. Detailed room selection information is available at well in advance of the room selection process.

Service and Support Animals (SA) in College Housing

Residence Life & Housing recognizes the importance of Service and Support animals and follows campus guidance as outlined in the Student Handbook. Residence Life and Housing will allow a service or support animal if certain conditions are met. The animal must be necessary for a resident with a medical condition to have equal access to housing and the accommodation must also be reasonable. An accommodation is unreasonable if it presents an undue financial or administrative burden on the College, poses a substantial and direct threat to personal or public safety or constitutes a fundamental alteration of the nature of the service or program.

With advance approval, a person may have an emotional support animal in their residence hall room as a reasonable accommodation.

  1. Students requesting an emotional support animal in college housing must complete a three-step interactive process:

    a. Indicate a special needs request (specifically an emotional support animal) on the housing application when applying for housing, annually, in advance of the start of the academic year or term.

    b. Seek approval for support animal by submitting documentation of a medical condition to the office of Accessibility Resources (AR).

    c. Complete the Animal Registration & Agreement Form for Service and Support Animals in Residence Life & Housing annually, and submit a picture of the animal and animal health records (with up-to-date vaccinations and veterinary contact information) to

  2. Documentation guidelines for a Support Animal in Residence Halls

    a. Documentation must be submitted to the office of Accessibility Resources (AR).

    b. Documentation must be on letterhead from a licensed mental health provider (e.g. licensed mental health counselor, licensed clinical social worker, licensed marriage & family therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist) who can validate the existence of an established relationship with the student.

    c. Licensed mental health provider(s) must be from New York state or from the state of the student’s permanent residence.

    d. Documentation must include diagnosis, and specific reasons that an emotional support animal is necessary (i.e. a nexus between the accommodation and the medical condition).

  3. Timing of Request

    a. In order to adequately process a request for a support animal, students are recommended to begin the process at least 60 days prior to the animal arriving on campus.

  4. Conflicting Medical Conditions

    a. Some people may have allergic reactions to animals that are substantial enough to qualify as a medical condition. SUNY Oswego will consider the needs of both persons in meeting its obligations to reasonably accommodate all medical conditions and to resolve the problem as efficiently and expeditiously as possible. Students requesting allergy accommodations should contact the office of Accessibility Resources (AR).

  5. Compliance with state and local animal laws

    a. Animals that are not allowed as pets in New York state, or in the Town of Oswego are not allowed as Emotional Support Animals.

  6. Process once approved by the office of Accessibility Resources

    a. Residence Life & Housing will notify roommate(s), and other residents as appropriate.

    b. Residence Life & Housing will address residents’ concerns related to the emotional support animal.

    c. Emotional support animals may not enter the residence hall until the Animal Registration and Agreement Form is approved by Residence Life & Housing.

  7. Expectations for animal care and control

    The student is responsible for ensuring that the SA does not unduly interfere with the routine activities of the residence halls or of the residential students. Reported behaviors that are not conducive to the community will be adjudicated through a conduct process.

    The student must comply with all state laws and local animal ordinances, as well as recommended Residence Life policies and guidelines including, but not limited to, the following:

    a. A SA may reside in the residence hall only in the assigned space after the approval process has been completed.

    b. Within the residence hall, SAs are not permitted in any public common spaces including community/shared spaces, lounges, recreational rooms, study rooms, prayer rooms, computer labs, laundry rooms, conference rooms, bathrooms, or staff offices. The SA is not permitted in other students’ residence hall rooms.

    c. The student is solely responsible for the SA’s care, restraint, control, and supervision at all times.

    d. In the event the SA no longer resides in the residence halls, the student should contact Residence Life and Housing staff.

    e. Unattended SAs: SAs shall not be left alone for extended periods of time in a student’s room and should never be left overnight without the owner. The SA is not permitted to be left in the care of another student. In the event a SA is left for an extended period without proper care, Residence Life and Housing will attempt to contact the student or their emergency contact to remove the ESA .

    f. If these parties are unable to be reached, Residence Life and Housing may notify animal control and have the SA removed. Any costs for removal of the SA if the student is not present shall be the responsibility of the student.

    g. Damages to residence halls caused by the SA and related costs for repair or replacement is the responsibility of the owner.

    h. Emergency Contact: The student must provide Residence Life and Housing with contact information for an alternative caregiver if the student is unable, or unwilling, to provide adequate care. Residence Life and Housing will assume no responsibility or liability for the care of a student’s ESA.

  8. Removing a support animal

    a. If concerns regarding the animal are reported to Residence Life and Housing, the student will be contacted within 2 business days and given the opportunity to address the concerns and/or situation.

    b. If SUNY Oswego determines the animal to be a substantial and direct threat to the health and safety of others, the Agreement may be revoked and University Police may order the animal to be removed from campus. This may occur as a result of a very ill animal or a substantial lack of cleanliness of the animal.

    c. In addition, failure to comply with expectations for direct care of the animal may also result in the Agreement being revoked. If this occurs, the student will be given written notice to remove the animal within 10 days.

For more information, please go to the Student Handbook online to see the Compliance Policies section.

Sick Tray Policy

Dining Services at SUNY Oswego cares about its customers when they are sick or injured. If a resident is unable to attend a meal in a dining center due to illness or mobility issues (i.e. required use of crutches), a sick tray is available. A Sick Tray Request Form may be requested from the Residence Hall Director/Village Community Director, Assistant Hall Director, Resident Student Staff, by the resident, the resident's roommate, a friend, or reaching out to the Dining Services Manager. The completed form must be approved by an appropriate professional staff member (Residence Hall Director, Assistant Hall Director, Community Development Specialist, dining Center Manager or Mary Walker Health Professional) and submitted to the dining center manager or checker-cashier in the resident dining center along with the ill/injured student’s I.D. card. For further information, please contact your Residence Hall Director, Assistant Hall Director, Resident Student Staff member or Dining Manager.

Snow Removal in Resident Student Parking Lots

There are times where students may be asked to move their vehicle from parking lots where snow has accumulated and needs to be plowed. Notices will go out to students via email and posted signage providing an alternate lot that their vehicle must be moved to and the time frame in which the vehicle must be moved. Students who may be unavailable to move their car during the announced time should make arrangements for a friend to move the car. Students going away for the weekend or several days should make similar arrangements to avoid possible towing costs.

Student Records

Residence Life and Housing maintains a variety of records pertaining to residents. Included in this category are license administration documents (such as the Housing and Dining License, Request for Exemption from the University Housing Policy, Request for Release from Housing and Dining License, and occupancy records. These records are for College use and are available only to appropriate College offices, except as in compliance with a proper court order. These documents may be reviewed only by the student referenced and only after the student confirms their identity via College identification card or photo DMV license. Copies may be made and given to the student referenced upon request. The preferred request is in person; however, if an in-person request is not possible, a written request from the student can be accepted. Telephone requests will not be honored.

Vending Machines

Each year, Auxiliary Services enters into a contract with a private vendor to provide vending machines for the campus, including the residential communities. Each residential community is equipped with a variety of vending machines, typically including a soda machine(s) and snack vending machine(s). These machines are usually located on the main floor or in the basement of each building. Any problems, including refund requests, should be reported to the residential community front desk.


Rules Governing Residential Facilities


The residential alcohol policy is governed by the "Alcohol and Other Drugs" policy as stated in the Student Handbook.

The College permits individual consumption and possession of alcoholic beverages by individuals who have attained 21 years-of-age and prohibits consumption and possession by persons under 21; this includes, but is not limited to, possession of empty alcohol containers. If, at any time, alcohol is found in a residence hall, room, suite or apartment, all individuals in the presence of alcohol (i.e., guests, visitors, residents, etc.) may be found in violation of this policy. Drinking contests/games and all other forms of excessive drinking are prohibited in residential facilities. Consumption from or possession of open containers of alcohol is prohibited in public areas of residential facilities. Group consumption of alcohol in residential facilities may occur only at registered events as explained in campus guidelines. Refer to the "Alcohol and Other Drugs" policy of the Student Handbook for the complete policy description.


The department’s policy on appliances reflects an effort to find a balance between the typical resident’s use of their assigned room and the need for health and safety standards. Residence hall rooms are more than bedrooms; however, they are not appropriate for meal preparation. The appliances appropriate for use in resident rooms are those such as lamps, computers, hair dryers, compact refrigerators, televisions, stereos, etc. Appliances used for meal preparation (such as microwave ovens) which operate at cooking temperatures are prohibited because they compromise the health and safety of the residents of the building. However students may choose to rent a microfridge that comes equipped with a microwave as they are equipped with safety features adhering to campus fire and safety codes. Residence hall residents may not possess any food-preparation appliances except blenders, popcorn poppers, coffee makers, and hot pots and those appliances are permitted only if they do not have exposed heating elements and are UL/ETL-approved.

Because all Village townhouses have full kitchens, Village residents are allowed to possess other food preparation appliances, provided they are UL/ETL-approved. All electrical appliances must be UL/ETL-approved and must be in good working order.

Air conditioners, space heaters and baseboard units of any type, except as may be provided by the College, are prohibited.

Cable TV

Starting Fall 2022, cable TV will no longer be provided in student rooms (cable TV will continue to be available on the TVs in building common areas). Students are able to use their own streaming devices as needed.

Care of Facilities

It is the residents’ responsibility to care for the condition of their assigned living units as well as other public areas including, but not limited to, bathrooms, elevators, corridors, laundry rooms, lounges, and their furnishings and equipment. Theft or littering of, or damage to, College property is prohibited. Students engaging in such behavior may be subject to College disciplinary action and/or arrest and will be held financially and legally responsible. Residents will be held financially and legally responsible for the condition of their assigned living units and assigned contents. The removal of College-owned furniture from a resident’s living unit or from a public area without staff authorization may result in a replacement charge and/or other disciplinary action. Structural modifications to the residential facilities, including the installation of wires or cords outside resident living units, are prohibited without prior written authorization from the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing. As part of their responsibility, residents of a facility are responsible for the actions of their guests whether or not those guests are students of SUNY Oswego.

Disruptive Behavior

Disruptive behavior including:

  1. harassment or creating a hostile environment through discrimination, intimidation, ridicule, or insult toward any person;
  2. acts of bias targeted toward a person or group;
  3. physical abuse, assault and/or battery;
  4. threats toward or intimidation of any person, or intentionally or recklessly causing harm or reasonable apprehension of harm;
  5. creation of a condition or situation that endangers mental or physical health;
  6. conduct which inhibits the peace or safety of members of the College community*;
  7. conduct related to the use, possession, or distribution of alcohol or other drugs are unacceptable and subject to disciplinary action.

*Students are prohibited from playing sports or rough-housing in the halls as this may disrupt the living/learning environment. Hall sports include, but are not limited to, tossing, bouncing, or kicking a ball or frisbee, roller blading, biking, using a scooter, using nerf guns, water guns or water balloons.


The residential drug policy is governed by the "Alcohol and Other Drugs" policy as stated in the Student Handbook. The use, possession, distribution or manufacture of controlled substances is prohibited on College premises. If, at any time, drugs are found in a residence hall, room, suite or apartment, all individuals in the presence of drugs (i.e., guests, visitors, residents, etc.) will be found in violation of this policy. Students in possession of prohibited drugs or drug-related paraphernalia will be documented and may be used as evidence in campus conduct and/or criminal proceedings.

Fire Safety

Residential Fire Safety is a serious issue due to the population density and the potential for injury and loss that could occur as a result of a fire. In order to reduce fire hazards and comply with state fire codes, the College has established the following policies and procedures. Residents are expected to know and follow these procedures. Violators may face disciplinary action and/or arrest.

A. Fire Drills and Evacuation 

Each residential community will conduct periodic fire drills to familiarize students and staff with the proper evacuation procedures and escape routes. Evacuation procedures and routes are posted on the inside of each door in residential rooms and throughout the buildings. All students should familiarize themselves with the evacuation procedures, know the location of all the exits in their living area and how to reach them in case they need to evacuate in total darkness. When the alarm sounds, all persons in the building are required to exit the building immediately and remain outside until informed by Residence Life staff members that it is permissible to return. There is a designated alternative shelter location for each residential community; in instances of inclement weather and/or prolonged evacuation, residents will be directed to the appropriate shelter facility. Failure to evacuate a building during a fire alarm is a violation of residential community rules and can result in disciplinary action.

B. Fire Detection/Fighting Equipment

Each residential facility is equipped with heat and smoke sensors, fire extinguishers and fire alarm pull boxes. Residents should familiarize themselves with the location of this equipment upon moving into a residential community. Tampering with any fire protection equipment is prohibited. Intentional activation of alarm systems for any reason other than reporting a fire is strictly prohibited.

C. Fire Evacuation Procedures

In order to ensure the safety of all residents and visitors of the residential community, the following guidelines must be followed. When an alarm is sounded, all residents and visitors should:

  1. Immediately put on hard-soled shoes and clothing appropriate to weather conditions, as evacuation may be for an extended period of time. Take a towel to cover the face. This will aid breathing if there is smoke.
  2. Close all windows.
  3. Check the room door before opening to see if it is hot. Smell for smoke. If the door is hot or you smell smoke, it should not be opened. Seal the cracks at the bottom and sides of the door with a towel or clothing. If trapped, call University Police (x5555), give the hall and room number and then go to the window to attract the attention of the fire department.
  4. If there is no sign of prohibitive heat or smoke, leave the hall by the nearest exit, using the stairwells. Do not use elevators.
  5. Vacate the building by the shortest, safest route, and gather at the designated area (at least 100 feet from the building). Follow instructions given by Residence Life staff, University Police, Fire Marshal and Fire Department Personnel. Remain outside until directed to reenter or proceed to designated alternative shelter.
  6. Students unable to use the stairs should call University Police with their name and location for assistance during a fire evacuation.

D. Furnishings, Decorations, and Other Prohibited Items

Furniture, decorations and other items which increase the flammability of residents’ rooms or public areas may be prohibited at the discretion of Residence Life staff. Excessive amounts of combustible decorations are particularly dangerous because they can promote rapid spread of flames in the event of a fire. Suspending combustible materials, such as tapestries, curtains, flags, fishnets, etc., is strictly prohibited. It is the resident's responsibility to ensure all window curtains and personal furniture meet NFPA 701 standard. In common areas (i.e. bathrooms, hallways, and lounges) similar fire code regulations exist.

Possession and/or ignition of combustible materials is prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to, candles, wax burners, incense, sterno, microwave ovens, rice cookers, air fryers, hoverboards and certain types of lamps (including oil-burning, halogen, torchiere and tree-style, as well as multi-head or “octopus-style”, lava lamps, and lamps with outlets).

The illustrations below show examples of some prohibited lamps. The list of prohibited lamps (above) and examples below are for reference only and are not intended to show every possible lamp that is prohibited in the residence halls.

Certain lamps are prohibited in the Residence Halls: From left to right, Octopus(Tree Style), Oil-Burning, Multi-Head, Torchiere, Lava, Halogen

From left to right: Octopus(Tree Style), Oil-Burning, Multi-Head, Torchiere, Lava, Halogen

E. Electrical Load

The following guidelines have been developed to prevent the overloading of electrical circuits which can create a life-threatening hazard.

  1. The use of electrical extension cords is strictly PROHIBITED.
  2. Circuit-breaker-protected multi-outlet power strips that are Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL/ETL-approved) can be used. These must be plugged directly into a 36 wall receptacle and may not be joined together to extend their reach. All cords must be UL/ETL-approved and recommended for intended use, in perfect condition, and either 12 or 14 gauge.

    a. If the appliance using the power strip requires grounding (three-pronged plug), only grounded power strips shall be used.

    b. Cords may not pass through wall openings, doorways, partitions, or under rugs

    c. Cords may not be spliced, tied in knots, wrapped around metal fixtures, or draped over pipes.

    d. "Daisy chaining" (connecting one or more of these power strips to each other) is not permitted.

  3. Heavy load appliances, such as refrigerators and blow dryers, must be plugged directly into permanent outlets by the cord attached to the appliance.
  4. Multiple outlet adapters (exclusive of power strips permitted in 2. above) are not permitted.

F. Fire Safety Inspections

Residence Life staff inspect all residential living units (including bedrooms) at least once each semester. Residents are advised of any fire safety and health problems and the required remedy.

G. Fire Safety Information and Education

The College offers a variety of opportunities and resources for students to learn about the various aspects of fire prevention. Students are encouraged to educate themselves about their personal fire safety needs. In addition to the information contained in this Handbook, additional information can be found at

Fire safety discussions will be a part of meetings conducted by Residence Life staff. Residence Life staff can also be considered as resources for such information. Any fire concerns should immediately be brought to their attention so proper preventative action can be taken.

H. In Case of Fire

Should a fire occur, the standard procedure for fires should be followed:

  1. Notify the Fire Department by using the pull boxes. This notifies all residents of the need to evacuate the building.
  2. If the fire is very small (wastebasket, smoldering matter) and you have been trained, you may try to fight it. Keep near the doors so you can escape. Stay low, away from heat and smoke. Aim extinguisher stream at base of fire. For floor level fires, sweep from the edge of the room inward. If it is a wall fire, sweep from the bottom of the wall upward. Stay outside closets, etc. and shoot inward. Ventilate only after the fire is completely out.
  3. Use good judgment. The above responsibilities should be undertaken with due attention to your own personal safety.
  4. Fire Extinguisher Use. The following information clarifies extinguisher type and use should it be necessary to put out a fire:

    a. Pressurized water extinguisher: Wood, paper, textiles, and other ordinary combustible materials.

    b. Carbon Dioxide (CO2) extinguisher: Flammable liquids such as oils, solvents, grease, paint, etc. Live or energized electrical or electronic equipment.

    c. ABC (All-Purpose) Dry Chemical extinguishers:Wood, paper, plastic, combustible and flammable liquids, grease, paint and energized electrical.

Setting Fires is Prohibited.


Resident Students may host guests in their residential community according to the policy outlined below. The policy is in place to aid in protecting personal safety, personal property and the right to privacy.


  • Resident Student – A currently enrolled SUNY Oswego student who is officially assigned to a specific residential community.
  • Host – Resident Student receiving a guest in their residential community.
  • Guest – Any person entering the premises of a residential community to which they are not assigned.
  • SUNY Oswego Student Guest – a currently enrolled SUNY Oswego student visiting a Resident Student in the Resident Student’s assigned residential community.
  • Non-SUNY Oswego Guest – a person who is not affiliated with SUNY Oswego in any way who is visiting a Resident Student in their assigned residential community.
  • Overnight Guest – Any guest who is hosted by a Resident Student after 12 midnight.

Guest Access

Resident Students may host Guests from 7 am to 12 am, Monday through Sunday. Guests hosted by Resident Students between the hours of 12 am and 7 am are considered Overnight Guests.

Overnight Guests

Overnight Guests are: 

  • permitted for up to 72 consecutive hours and a maximum of two such visits per month.
  • required to sleep in the Host’s assigned bedroom, suite or townhouse; sleeping in common areas of residential communities, such as lounges, is prohibited.

The maximum number of Overnight Guests allowed at one time is:

  • 2 Overnight Guests in a double room.
  • 4 Overnight Guests in a suite.
  • 6 Overnight Guests in a townhouse.

Hours/Times of Visitation

Guests are not permitted during reading days, early arrival, final exam periods, or break periods.

Approval and Registration

  • All Guests must be registered according to the established Guest Registration Process outlined in this Handbook.
  • Resident Student Hosts must obtain the written permission of all room/suite/housemates prior to the arrival of any Guest.
  • Overnight Guests will receive a Guest Pass that must be carried at all times

Host Responsibilities

  • The Host is responsible for assuring that all Guests know and adhere to College and residential community rules and regulations.
  • Hosts and Guests are subject to disciplinary action for failure to comply with College policies.
  • The Host may be held responsible for the actions of their Guest which may include receiving disciplinary charges when their Guest violates College policy and/or residential community rules and regulations. Further, the Residence Life staff may ask the Guest to leave the building whenever that Guest’s presence is determined by the staff member to be disruptive to the residential community.
  • It is the College’s position that Resident Students have the right to use their assigned room for the purposes of studying and sleeping. If a conflict arises between room/suite/housemates regarding the use of the residence hall room, this established priority should be recognized by all mates. Resident Students should attempt to resolve room/suite/housemate conflicts stemming from Guests on a personal basis; however, mediation support will be provided by the Residence Life staff as needed.

Guest Responsibilities

  • Guests are to be with their host at all times.
  • Guests are to use residential community restroom facilities as designated for the gender with which they identify.
  • Guests are to abide by all college policies. Failure to do so may result in the revocation of their guest pass.


  • Guests will not be permitted if staff determine that their presence prohibits reasonable access to and use of the room/suite/townhouse by roommates/suitemates/town housemates, or the guest’s presence is determined to be disruptive to other members of the community.
  • Each residential community government has the option to further restrict guests.

Guns, Explosives, Flammables

Firearms, illegal weapons, firecrackers, explosives, harmful chemicals, and flammable liquids (i.e., oil-based paints, turpentine, lighter fluid and gasoline) are not to be stored or used in or around residential facilities. Internal combustion engines are prohibited within the buildings. Refer to the "Weapons and Dangerous Materials" section of the Student Handbook for the complete policy description.


Residents are expected to maintain a level of cleanliness in their living unit compatible with reasonable health and safety and College standards. The College reserves the right to establish and enforce those expectations for individuals in order to insure reasonable compatibility with roommate(s) as well as health and safety. All residents are required to participate in the residential community recycling program.


Each resident is assigned keys, lock combinations and/or access codes when checking into residential facilities and is responsible for the return of assigned keys upon termination of residence. Loss of keys will result in charges for replacement. Unauthorized duplication of keys is prohibited. Residents are prohibited from using, or having unauthorized possession of keys or identification/access codes which have not been assigned to them by the College.

Lock Change Requests

Lock changes will be completed if a key is lost. A new core will be put in all applicable doors and new keys will be made. SUNY Oswego cares about the safety of our students. Cost should never be a reason to not get a lock change. If a student is concerned about their ability to pay for a lock change, they may send an email request to the Associate Director of Facilities and Operations at asking to waive the fee . Requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

  • Room Key (requires locksmith) $75
  • Code Change $15
  • Mailbox Key (requires locksmith) $10
  • Room & Suite Key (Onondaga) $85
  • PIN Change (Village) $15

Sunday through Thursday nights, quiet hours begin at 10:00 p.m. and end at 10:00 a.m. the following morning. Friday and Saturday nights, quiet hours begin at 12:00 a.m. (midnight) and continue until 10:00 a.m. the following morning. Courtesy hours are observed 24 hours per day. Individual halls and living units may extend quiet hours or establish specific additional quiet hours at their discretion and/or through the Community Living Agreement. Quiet hours are observed 24 hours per day during the week before and the week of final examinations. Residents are expected to defer to approved activity at all times.


Residence Life and Housing prohibits residents and their guests from bringing pets into residential communities. Fish in aquariums up to 20 gallons are permitted.


Security is a community issue which depends upon the complete cooperation of all residents and their guest(s). Residents are responsible for the general security of their residential community. Acts which compromise building security are prohibited (i.e., propping open exterior doors normally locked for security purposes or opening the entrance door for others to enter the building). Entering rooms assigned to other students or non-public areas such as mechanical rooms or desk areas without appropriate authorization is prohibited.

Access to residential facilities is limited to residents, residents' registered guests and authorized College staff. When students become residents of a community, they are issued an I.D. sticker for placement on the front of their student I.D. This sticker provides for easy verification as a resident of that community, thus facilitating easy entry into their assigned community. When moving from a residential community, students must present their student I.D. card so the residential community sticker can be replaced (keys to that community must also be surrendered at sign-out).

All exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Persons who leave a locked exterior door open are endangering the security of residents and their property. Anyone observed or proven to have done so is subject to disciplinary action.

It is the obligation of every resident to immediately report to the Residence Life staff or University Police the presence of any nonresident not hosted by a resident and not complying with these regulations.


SUNY Oswego is a tobacco-free and smoke-free campus. Smoking of any kind and other uses of tobacco products on campus, at extensions campuses, at all indoor and outdoor events, College-sponsored programs and activities off campus, in personally-owned vehicles parked on campus, and all vehicles and equipment owned, leased or operated by the College and its affiliate organizations is strictly prohibited. Use of tobacco products other than smoking products and other smoking apparatus such as pipes, hookahs, and e-cigarettes, etc. is also prohibited.

Solicitation and Sales in Residential Facilities

All kinds of sales and solicitation by students or private commercial enterprises in residential facilities are prohibited without the prior approval of the Residence Life and Housing Office and the appropriate residential community student government. Included in this ban is the use of a residential community telephone number as the contact for responding to an advertisement. Exceptions to this ban are limited to activities conducted by the residential community governments and charitable sales or collections approved by the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing.

Neither residents nor non-residents are allowed to advertise, solicit, or sell in campus residential facilities except by direct mail to residents. Unauthorized solicitors will be confronted by the Residence Life staff and asked to leave the premises immediately.


The removal, loss of, or damage to a window, screen or window stop from student rooms or public areas in a residential facility is prohibited and may result in an installation and/or replacement charge and disciplinary action. The placing of any objects outside the window, including aerials and similar equipment, is prohibited. Residents are prohibited from being on building ledges or roofs. Throwing objects from windows is prohibited. Opening of security screens except in emergency situations is prohibited.


Minimum Living Condition Standards for University Residence Halls

Introduction to Minimum Living Condition Standards for University Residence Halls

In accordance with Chapter 416 of the Laws of 1988 and the State University Board of Trustees’ resolution 89-130 adopted June 21, 1989, Oswego State has developed procedures to assure compliance with the standards and guidelines prescribed by the trustees. Listed in order below are the five standards, followed by the implementation guidelines developed by the SUNY Committee on Minimum Living Condition Standards. The Oswego procedures established to meet those standards and guidelines are in bold print.

Standard I

The residential communities shall be constructed and maintained to conform to all applicable safety codes and health standards.

  1. All furnishings and equipment supplied by the University meet applicable fire and safety code standards promulgated by the State of New York

    SUNY Oswego follows the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code. Questions and concerns are forwarded to the campus Fire Marshal. All buildings are inspected at least once each year by local maintenance personnel and New York State fire inspectors. Minor deficiencies are repaired by maintenance personnel; major problems are prioritized on the capital budget request for life safety. All College-supplied furnishings meet the applicable fire and safety standard extant at time of purchase.

  2. Each resident’s sleeping room will have an operational smoke detector. 

    Each student bedroom is equipped with a smoke detector that is tested annually.

  3. Student residents are required to adhere to all applicable safety codes and health standards in the use of private equipment and appliances (where permitted).

    To live in campus housing, SUNY Oswego students are required to sign a Housing and Dining License, which includes information about College safety regulations regarding the use of individual appliances and equipment. Residence Life staff members are instructed to enforce those conditions. (See SUNY Oswego's Housing and Dining License.)

  4. Access to residence hall living on each campus that operates residence halls will be provided for the differently abled in accordance with applicable codes and standards (e.g., section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973).

    Many campus residential communities are accessible to differently-abled individuals. Most residential communities have grade-level entrances, are equipped with elevator service and feature modified toilet stalls with grab bars.

  5. Inspection and assessment of the physical facility and its components (e.g., water, electricity, and heating systems), will be conducted annually by appropriate campus personnel. The report of this inspection should be distributed to appropriate campus personnel. A priority list (as viewed by appropriate campus personnel) of repairs/refurbishment should be part of this report, with recommended timetables for completion. Backlogs from earlier reports should be noted.

    SUNY Oswego completes a thorough inspection of each residential community at least once each year. The inspection team consists of the director and assistant director of the community, hall government representative, supervising janitor, facilities staff and Community Development Specialist. Facilities needs are prioritized for repair, rehabilitation and/or refurbishing, as appropriate. Rehabilitation and/or refurbishment lists are reviewed by Residence Life and Housing and prioritized project lists become part of the budget request. Project Lists are available for review by students upon request to their RHD/AHD/VCD and/or the Residence Life and Housing Office. Other inspections are currently performed annually by the Dormitory Authority and SUNY Systems Administration.
Standard II

The campus maintenance plan shall provide for a regular schedule of cleaning and repair for all common areas in residence halls.

  1. A regular schedule for cleaning of common areas including lounges, hallways, bathrooms and areas used by all residents should be established. Copies of the schedule should be posted.

    Under normal circumstances, common area bathrooms, lounges, hallways, stairwells, laundry rooms and other public areas are cleaned on a daily basis between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. A daily custodial cleaning documentation sheet is posted in each residential and public bathroom. Employees performing this bathroom cleaning are required to sign, date and initial this sheet upon completion of the cleaning. Cleaning routines for all other areas of the residential community are available at each front desk upon request.

  2. Every reasonable effort by the campus administration and student residents should be made to keep residential communities sanitary and vermin free, and all appliances provided by the University in working order or removed from service.

    SUNY Oswego maintains a relationship with a licensed pest control company to provide treatment when necessary.

  3. Campuses should have an established procedure, developed in conjunction with the Central Administration Offices of Finance and Business, Capital Facilities, and Student Affairs for declaring student rooms unlivable and for removing them from service until conditions are corrected.

    The Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing or designee, in consultation with the maintenance supervisor, custodial supervisor, Residence Hall Director/Village Community Director and residents of the room determine whether or not a student room is unlivable due to substandard conditions including health and safety concerns that cannot be corrected in a reasonable period of time. If the room is determined to be unlivable, students are reassigned until the conditions are corrected.
Standard III

The campus shall provide each student resident with adequate living space, furniture, and appropriate and sufficient heat, light, and hot water.

  1. The campus will provide each student resident with adequate living and lounge furniture. As a minimum, except in the case of tripling, each student resident will be provided with: a bed, adequate area illumination, chair, dresser/chest, desk/carrel unit, closet or wardrobe. All such equipment should be clean, sturdy, free from major scarring and of acceptable appearance.

    Resident bedrooms are furnished with closets/armoires, beds, mattresses, desks, desk chairs, dressers, floor lamps, mirrors, and wastebaskets. Each item is inventoried and assigned to the room. On an annual basis all rooms are inspected to determine the condition of each piece of furniture/ equipment. Pieces identified as unacceptable are removed from service.

  2. Campuses should provide for a planned replacement or rehabilitation of residence hall furnishings.

    An equipment replacement list is updated yearly, reviewed by Residence Life and Housing and becomes part of the budget request.

Standard IV

The campus shall establish procedures for routine and emergency repairs to residence hall facilities.

  1. Protocols will be established to address promptly inquiries, requests and complaints regarding routine repairs and maintenance for the provision of heat, lights and hot water. The student resident should also be apprised periodically of the status of their request. These protocols, along with appropriate telephone numbers should be provided in writing to each student resident. All repairs, especially those involving heat, light and hot water, should be accomplished within a reasonable amount of time.

    Routine maintenance and custodial concerns should be reported through the Facilities Maintenance and Operations electronic work order link

    iServiceDesk will provide:

    ● Immediate email confirmation of your request.
    ● E-mail confirmation once the request is reviewed and converted to a work order.

    An automatic email notification when your work order status changes.

    Residents may need to make an appointment, as Maintenance staff will be unable to enter the room without the resident present or without prior consent from the resident and any roommate(s). Although we strive to deal with each report effectively, errors do occur. Residents should persist in reporting problems until they are resolved and maintenance emergencies should be reported to the front desk. If the desk is closed, contact the RSS on duty or University Police (5555).

    Routine work orders generated for student rooms generally will be completed within 72 hours of the request. Loss of heat or electric service is considered an urgent situation and is addressed as soon as staff and materials are available, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If a repair of this type cannot be completed in a reasonable and safe period of time, the resident(s) are temporarily reassigned until the problem is corrected.

    In order to determine the sufficiency of repairs, a Facilities, Maintenance and Operations representative follows up on all resident-initiated repairs, including timeliness and quality by contacting the resident(s). Complaints may be addressed to the Residence Life and Housing Office.

    Note: Residential community temperatures should not drop below 68 degrees. If the room seems cold, residents are to check to be certain that windows are tightly closed and that there is one to two feet clearance between the baseboard heating unit and furniture and bedding. If neither of these two items seem to be causing the problem, the RHD/VCD is contacted so that he/she can take a temperature reading. If the temperature is below 68 degrees, maintenance personnel are contacted. If the problem cannot be quickly resolved, Residence Life and Housing provides a special heater for the room until 68 degrees can be maintained

  2. To the extent possible, major rehabilitation or other capital projects should take place at times when students are not in occupancy of the residence halls. Major construction projects which are disruptive to ongoing programming should not continue during scheduled examination periods. If this is impossible, arrangements should be made to house residents elsewhere.

    All major rehabilitation projects, whenever possible, are scheduled and completed during times of recess or in a manner that results in the least disruption to the residents of the building.
Standard V

The campus shall establish procedures for redress for student residents in the event of the loss of services such as heat, light, and hot water in residence halls for extended periods that are within the control of the campus.

  1. These procedures will include a plan for reassignment on campus if conditions continue for an unreasonable time, which involve the loss of heat, light, or hot water or the creation of any other condition which is detrimental to the life, health or safety of the student residents.

    In the event of the complete loss of heat, light, or electricity, the situation is considered urgent. Maintenance personnel are dispatched as soon as possible. If the problem cannot be resolved within a reasonable amount of time, the student(s) are temporarily reassigned until the problem is corrected. Such reassignments may be to another resident bedroom, a lounge, or other space not designated as a resident bedroom depending upon levels of occupancy at the time of the incident.

    In the event of a minor loss of heat, light or electricity or other deteriorated physical condition (i.e. leaks), maintenance personnel are dispatched to repair the problem in a reasonable amount of time. If the College cannot complete the repair in a reasonable amount of time, the resident(s) is/ are offered reassignment. If the resident(s) choose(s) to remain in the room, they must sign a waiver absolving the College from any liability.

  2. If reassignment on campus is not possible, the procedures should also include a plan for the provision of alternate housing at no additional charge to student residents and/or refund of a portion of room rental charges where applicable.

    Every effort is made to reassign students to rooms or other temporary housing accommodations in the event of loss of utilities. If it is impossible to reassign the resident(s) due to loss of heat, light, or electricity, the resident(s) may request a refund of room renting by writing to the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing. Refunds are based on the College’s per diem rate for on-campus facilities for each day that the College was unable to reassign the resident(s). The Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing in consultation with the maintenance supervisor, custodial supervisor and the Associate Director of Residence Life and Housing for the area will determine a refund (if any).
Prohibited Items in the Residence Halls

Furniture, decorations, appliances, and other items which increase the flammability of residents’ rooms or public areas may be prohibited at the discretion of Residence Life staff.

All electrical appliances MUST be UL/ETL approved.

The list of prohibited items includes, but is not limited to:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Illegal Weapons
  • Air Fryers
  • Incense
  • Bed Risers/Cinder blocks
  • Internal Combustion Engines
  • Candles
  • Lava Lamps
  • Crockpots
  • Microwaves
  • Curtains Multi-head/”octopus-style” lamps
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Multiple Outlet Adapters
  • Explosives
  • Oil-Burning Lamps
  • Flags/Tapestries
  • Rice Cookers
  • Flammable Liquids
  • Sandwich Makers
  • Firearms
  • Slow Cookers
  • Firecrackers
  • Space Heaters
  • Fishnets
  • Sterno
  • Grilling Machines
  • Harmful Chemicals
  • Toaster Ovens
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Torchiere/”tree-style” lamps
  • Hot Plates
  • Wax Burners
  • Hoverboards
  • All electrical appliances that are not UL/ETL approved

The list of prohibited items (above) is for reference only and is not intended to list every possible item that is prohibited in the residence halls. Refer to the Student Conduct Policies and Procedures section of the Student Handbook for the complete policy description.

Prohibited Items in the Village Townhouses

Furniture, decorations, appliances, and other items which increase the flammability of residents’ rooms or public areas may be prohibited at the discretion of Residence Life staff.

All electrical appliances MUST be UL/ETL approved.

The list of prohibited items includes, but is not limited to:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Illegal Weapons
  • Air Fryers
  • Incense
  • Bed Risers/Cinder blocks
  • Internal Combustion Engines
  • Candles
  • Lava Lamps
  • Crockpots
  • Microwaves
  • Curtains
  • Multi-head/”octopus-style” lamps
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Multiple Outlet Adapters
  • Explosives
  • Oil-Burning Lamps
  • Flags/Tapestries
  • Rice Cookers
  • Flammable Liquids
  • Sandwich Makers
  • Firearms
  • Slow Cookers
  • Firecrackers
  • Space Heaters
  • Fishnets
  • Sterno
  • Grilling Machines
  • Harmful Chemicals
  • Toaster Ovens
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Torchiere/”tree-style” lamps
  • Hot Plates
  • Wax Burners
  • Hoverboards
  • All electrical appliances that are not UL/ETL approved

The Village townhouses have full kitchens; therefore, Village residents are allowed to possess other food preparation appliances, provided they are UL-approved. All electrical appliances must be UL/ETL approved and must be in good working order. These items must remain in the kitchen. The list of prohibited items (above) is for reference only and is not intended to list every possible item that is prohibited in The Village. Refer to the Student Conduct Policies and Procedures section of the Student Handbook for the complete policy description.

Residential Communities, Parking Information, and Campus Map

Residence Life and Housing
303 Culkin Hall

8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Phone: 315.312.2246
Fax: 315.312.6329

Follow Us

Instagram Icon linked to ResLife's Instagram account @reslifeoswego Facebook Icon linked to ResLife's Facebook page @reslifeoswego Twitter Icon linked to ResLife's Twitter account @reslifeoswego