Release from Housing License

The Housing and Dining License is binding for the entire academic year (fall and spring semesters). If you have signed the Housing and Dining License but subsequently wish to be released from the contract to move off-campus, read the instructions on this page carefully to submit a Request to Terminate Residence Life and Housing License. Additionally, you may be required to meet with a Residence Life and Housing staff member to explain the reasons for your request.

Unless you receive approval of this request, your student status requires compliance with the College Housing Policy. Alternative arrangements for housing, including a lease commitment, will not be considered sufficient reason for approval of this request. 

The decision to approve or deny a request for exemption from the College Housing Policy will be based upon the sufficiency of the written explanation and supporting documentation you provide.

*The termination request process is only applicable for students who have signed the Housing and Dining License but subsequently wish to be released from the contract to move off-campus; students who wish to be exempted from the College Housing Policy must submit a Request for Exemption from College Housing Policy.

College Housing Policy

*All SUNY Oswego students must adhere to the College Housing Policy. SUNY Oswego assumes that acceptance of the offer of admission to the College indicates that the student understands the terms of the College Housing Policy and its requirements.

SUNY Oswego is a residential college and believes that immersion in the educational environment is the preferred experience for new students. Therefore, all full-time undergraduate students who will need to establish an Oswego-area residence in order to attend the college are required to live on campus to the extent that facilities are available and utilized*.

Students generally exempted from this requirement are those who:

  • Will continue to reside with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s);
  • Will continue to reside in their official residence, which is separate from that of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), and at which they had resided for at least three consecutive months prior to their acceptance of the admissions offer from the college;
  • Are married; or
  • Are twenty-one (21) years of age as of September 1 for fall admission or January 1 for spring admission.

*Due to current facility availability, students who fulfill specific criteria will be considered as having fulfilled the Housing Requirement and would no longer be required to live in college housing; these students are those who first enrolled at SUNY Oswego as:

  • first year/freshmen students and have lived in residence at SUNY Oswego for four (4) consecutive semesters (fall and spring) if admitted in the fall or three (3) semesters if admitted in the spring.


  • transfer students and have lived in residence at SUNY Oswego for two (2) consecutive semesters (Fall and Spring) if admitted in the Fall or one (1) semester if admitted in the Spring.

Recipients of Presidential and/or Destination scholarship(s) are required to live on-campus. Students who move off campus will forfeit their scholarship(s).

Approval for Release

Students who submit a Request to Terminate Residence Life and Housing License and are approved for release will be assessed a release charge of $300. The charge will be added to your student account. The release charge is in addition to any prorated housing fees assessed to your account if you appeal your housing liability and move out after the start of a term session billing period. The total charge assessed to you would not exceed the published rate for your assigned space. The early release charge would offset lost revenue associated with releasing a student from their housing contract at a non-traditional time period. Students will not be charged the early release charge in the following situations:  

  • The student has graduated from the College. 
  • The student withdraws from the College including a documented official medical withdrawal.
  • The student enters into active duty in the military. 
  • The student leaves on an approved external study from the College (study abroad, academic internship, etc). 
  • The charge could also be waived at the discretion of the Assistant Vice President or designee where the charge would adversely impact  students that have documented a significant financial situation. 

Note: Decisions regarding requests based on financial circumstance will not be considered unless the student/family has accepted all available financial aid and loans AND a significant unmet financial need still exists. Approval of a request for release, if granted, is at the discretion of the College, not the student; further, such approval releases the College from any present or future obligation to provide room and meal plan for that resident and the space the student has previously occupied may be reassigned at the option of the College.

Withdrawal from the College

Residents withdrawing from the College are required to notify the Residence Life and Housing office at the earliest possible date. 

Residents who withdraw from the College during an academic semester must vacate the residential facility and remove all personal belongings from the premises no later than 11:59 pm of the date in which the withdrawal becomes effective. 

In the event a resident withdraws or is academically disqualified from the College after the fall semester and before the beginning of the spring semester, the resident will be released from their Housing and Dining License. The student must remove all personal belongings from their assigned room and officially check-out of the residential community by the deadline given; failure to do so will result in continued housing and dining charges.

Steps to submit a Rrequest to Terminate Residence Life and Housing License


1. Review the types of requests and required documentation and prepare necessary documentation.

Reason for Request Required Documentation

Commuting from the domicile of parent(s) or legal guardian(s) within 75 mile radius of campus*

Notarized Parent or Legal Guardian Verification section of the Request to Terminate Residence Life and Housing License form.

The College’s Residential Dining Services Department’s dietician must indicate Dining Services’ inability to meet your dietary needs. Note: It is assumed that students understand our dining program prior to enrollment; therefore, general dissatisfaction will not be a reason for approval.

Exchange Student

Exchange students are required to live on-campus for the duration of their program.


At least $1,000/semester unmet needs verified by the College’s Financial Aid Office that developed after you signed the Housing and Dining License and occurred for reasons beyond your control and not as a consequence of either your action, or lack of action, and cannot be met by additional borrowing. Being unaware of your financial aid package at the time you reserved a room is not sufficient reason for termination. Parental contributions calculated by the Financial Aid Office are not optional and must be included in the budget calculation. Students are expected to secure loans to cover expenses of living on campus, if available. The ability to save money by living off campus is not a justification for termination.


Inclusion on official graduation list.


Verification by the EXCEL office and verification that internship is greater than a 75 mile radius from campus.


Marriage certificate (license will not suffice).


Approval of the Medical Housing Consideration request. 



Requests based on personal reasons, such as general dissatisfaction and unhappiness, are normally not approved because they are based upon feelings, etc., which are impossible to measure and therefore do not allow the department to be consistent and fair in the administration of the Housing and Dining License.

Student Teaching

Verification by School of Education.

Study Abroad

Verification by Office of International Education.


Completed and submitted College withdrawal form.

Withdrawing **

Completed and submitted College withdrawal form.

*If you plan to commute to the College from a distance of more than 75 miles (one way), you must provide a plan that is deemed acceptable by the Assistant Vice President for Residence Life and Housing that allows for verification of your regular commute to campus each day you attend your registered classes. An example might be periodic inspection by housing staff of the odometer reading of the vehicle used for the commute, bus ticket receipts, etc.

**If you are readmitted for full-time study at Oswego and are not covered by one of the standard exemptions, you will be required to complete the College residential requirement. Your obligation will be determined by your category (first-year or transfer) at the time of your first enrollment at Oswego.

2. Complete and sign the Request to Terminate Residence Life and Housing License form.

Request to Terminate Residence Life and Housing Form (PDF)

3. Submit the completed Request to Terminate Residence Life and Housing License along with the necessary supporting documentation to the Residence Life and Housing Office, 303 Culkin Hall or email them to

Your materials will be reviewed by the Assistant Vice President of Residence Life and Housing or their designee and you may be scheduled to meet with them to discuss your request. A decision will be rendered regarding your request at the time of your meeting.

Residence Life and Housing
303 Culkin Hall

8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Phone: 315.312.
Fax: 315.312.6329

Follow Us

Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! instagram logo links to res life instagram account