Recycling Technician (RT)
Recycling Technician Job Description
The Recycling Technician (RT) is a member of the Residence Life and Housing Student Operations Services Staff (SOS Staff). These staff positions are crucial to the daily operations of the residence halls and the Department of Residence Life and Housing. The role of the Recycling Technician is to oversee and enforce the Residence Hall Recycling Program in accordance with the Oswego County Recycling Program.
Below is a summary of the responsibilities and terms of the position. These are specified in more detail in the SOS Staff Operations Manual, which is provided for all Recycling Technicians.
A. Read and follow provisions of the residence hall SOS Staff Operations Manual.
B. Recycling Room Operation
- Open and close the Recycling Room on time and return the key to the desk after closing.
- Monitor resident sorting of recyclables and trash.
- Educate residents of correct recycling categories and procedures.
- Sort bags/boxes left in the hallway outside of the Recycling Room so that all materials are in the appropriate containers and attempt to ID the person(s) responsible. Report the incident for the RHD/AHD if identification is accomplished.
- Replace bags that are full or half-full of heavy items such as magazines, newspapers, and office paper.
- Tie off full bags and place them in the appropriate location.
- Be sure that at the end of each shift all containers have new bags.
C. Assist in the recruitment and training of RT Staff.
D. Hall Wide
- Participate in Hall Council and RSS functions as outlined by Residence Hall Director/Assistant Hall Director (RHD/AHD).
- Follow the procedures and operations of the hall’s posting policy.
- Assist RHD/AHD in the implementation and operation of the hall’s posting policies and procedures.
E. Serve as a positive role model.
F. Arrange for shift coverage if RT is unable to work scheduled shift.
Adhere to Supervisor and Departmental expectations.
Other duties as assigned.
A. Recycling Technicians are compensated at a rate of $10.25 per hour.
B. The University’s Temporary Service Employment Guidelines govern numbers of hours worked during any pay period.
III. Terms of Employment
A. The academic year constitutes the term of employment.
B. Recycling Technicians may be required to begin work approximately ten days prior to the hall’s official fall opening day and up to ten days prior to Spring semester’s hall opening.
C. Recycling Technicians are required to attend and participate in all training periods (typically, pre-service training in August and in January, and in-service training sessions scheduled as needed).
D.Recycling Technicians report directly to the SOS Supervisor.
E.Recycling Technicians must live in an Oswego State residence hall during the full term of employment
F.Each Recycling Technician’s job performance will be evaluated each semester.
G.It is the Recycling Technician’s responsibility to check final grades at the end of each semester. If the semester or cumulative GPA falls below 2.00, it is the RT’s responsibility to contact the Department of Residence Life and Housing within one week of the date on which grades were posted by the College Registrar.*
H.Failure to meet the responsibilities of the position, misconduct and/or any violation of College policy may be grounds for personnel action (i.e. warning, employment probation, or termination).
A. Eligibility to apply: To be considered for employment, candidates must possess a cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0 or higher and a semester Grade Point Average of 2.0 or higher for the regular semester immediately preceding employment.*
B. RTs must maintain a 2.0 semester and cumulative Grade Point Average for the duration of employment.*
C. RTs may not begin employment while on Disciplinary Probation.
Conduct records will be checked for all applicants
A.Recycling Rooms are open and staffed approximately 18 hours per week.
B.The RT will share the Recycling Room hours with other employees according to a work schedule that will be prepared by the RHD/AHD.
*PLEASE NOTE: Summer and winter session grades are not included when calculating whether or not an applicant or staff member meets the grade requirements for the position.
Applications are available at: eRezLife(https://oswegoSOS.erezlife.com)
|ResLife HOME!||Contact Us!||About Us!|
303 Culkin Hall
Oswego, NY 13126
P: (315) 312-2246
F: (315) 312-6329
SOS Hiring Process:
RA & SOS Hiring Process: SUMMER
- Summer Timeline
Red Carpet Captain & Crew: AUGUST 2016
- RCC Timeline
RA/RM Hiring Process:
- RA/RM Timeline