Civic Engagement Coalition
The Civic Engagement Coalition works with the Civic Engagement Coordinator to promote democratic practice and values among students, faculty, and staff; to create and coordinate purposeful experiences within and beyond the classroom; and to develop knowledge, skills, motivation, and practice necessary for becoming responsible, engaged citizens in a pluralistic, democratic society. The coalition is composed of students, faculty, and staff who are interested in furthering the mission of the committee and is chaired by the Civic Engagement Coordinator. While all interested members of the college community are encouraged to serve on the CEC, the following areas should be represented:
- The four academic schools / colleges and Penfield Library
- Student Association Office of Civic Engagement
- The Center for Community Service and Service Learning
- Residence Life and Housing
- Offices directly engaged in linking the college with the wider Oswego community, such as The Offices of Experience Based Education, Business and Community Relations, and Extended Learning.
- The Associate Provost, Chair of Faculty Assembly, and Dean for Student Affairs serve ex officio.
The committee meets once monthly during the academic year to report on and make recommendations about curricular and co-curricular civic engagement activity.
Membership for 2015-2016:
Alyssa Amyotte, CSLCS
Mary McCune, History
Emily Mitchell, Penfield Library
William Rose, Sociology
Jason Zenor, Communication Studies
Jerri Drummond, Dean of Students