The Writing Center provides a welcoming atmosphere for students across the disciplines seeking writing assistance. Our tutors are committed to help students throughout the various stages of the writing process. Tutors will discuss the writing assignment to determine the paper's intention and direction, and to promote collaborative thinking. We are NOT an editing service. The Writing Center is located on the 1st floor of Penfield Library, room 112c.
Getting a writing tutor
Tutor bios: Decide which writing tutor is best for your paper by reading our writing tutors' bios.
Writing tutoring is now Walk-in only. To view the Walk-in schedule, please click the TutorTrac Website link on this page.
Note: Please bring with you a hard copy of the writing assignment, a hard copy of any work you've completed, and any other materials that will help the tutor assist you. Please take a moment to review the Writing Center Expectations, Preparation, and Policies to ensure a successful tutoring session.
Become a writing tutor
If you are interested in becoming a tutor, follow visit our application page. Log in using your LakerNet ID and password, then follow the instructions to fill out a tutor application. The following items are required to complete your application:
- An essay expressing why you would like to be a tutor.
- A minimum of two faculty recommendations from the discipline(s) you are applying for. Be advised that it is your responsibility to contact your recommenders. Please supply both of your recommenders with a link to our application page (https://www.oswego.edu/ols-apps/) where they may login to the application.
The tutoring department will contact you if a position is available.
Write Ways Series
Attend our Write Ways Series every Friday at 3 p.m. in Penfield Library Instruction Room 2. View or print the complete schedule.
We offer online writing assistance through the STAR-NY Writing Consortium. Students who cannot make it to campus or utilize distance learning services are advised to try this option.
Office of Learning Services
173 Marano Campus Center
Oswego, NY 13126
- Appointment Making Guide (PDF)
- Apply To Be a Tutor
- TutorTrac Website
- OLS Help Form
- Tutor Ethics Contract (PDF)
- Tutor Payroll Information
- TutorTrac login/logout issues for tutors form
- Guide for Tutors and Tutees (PDF)