Special Collections Policies
- All copying or scanning is done by Special Collections staff. Please inquire.
- Fees vary.
- Same-day service is not available.
- Copies made for you may be picked up at the Research Help Desk, or mailed. (No rush service or bulk rates.)
- We may refuse your copying request if:
- there are preservation or copyright concerns.
- you are requesting more than 20% of a collection.
Staff provides assistance with research in its collections but is not able to do research for patrons. Queries are recommended before an on-site visit. See Visiting Special Collections for more information.
Limited outlets are available for laptops.
- Food and drink are prohibited.
- Pencils only are allowed for taking notes.
- Gloves are provided and may be required.
- Lockers are provided for patron belongings.
- Paper, pencil, and laptop (or similar devices) are permitted at the research table.
- Folders, binders, and all other patron belongings must remain in the locker.
- Staff will retrieve requested material and will provide one item or box at a time.
- Please maintain original order of materials provided. This includes folder level or box level materials.
- Do not place anything on top of materials – papers, folders or boxes – such as, elbows, laptops, books, pencils, magnifiers, devices, etc.
- Do not take notes on top of archival materials, folders, or boxes.
Regard should be given to common law literary rights, copyright laws and the laws of libel when using items in the care of Penfield Library's Special Collections for publication. Responsibility for obtaining permission to publish rests with researchers and their publishers.
In situations where the issue of copyright ownership is unresolved, the requestor agrees to hold harmless SUNY Oswego and its trustees, officers and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Special Collections does not require fees or written permission to publish or exhibit based on our holdings. However, Special Collections does ask that our institution be noted in film credits or bibliographic citations. The correct citation should read:
"Name/No. of the collection", Special Collections, Penfield Library, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY.
A courtesy copy of any subsequent publication is also requested for the records of Special Collections.