About Interlibrary Loan
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a cooperative service by libraries worldwide through which the library obtains resources that are not available at Penfield Library.
This service is available to faculty, faculty spouse or partner, emeriti faculty, staff, and students of SUNY Oswego.
- Books, including those listed as "Lost," "Missing," or "Checked Out" in our catalog
- Journal articles and book chapters:
- Electronic delivery of articles and chapters from other libraries, in compliance with U.S. Copyright Law.
- PDF scans of articles and chapters that Penfield owns only in print, in compliance with U.S. Copyright Law.
- Media materials - DVDs, CDs, VHS, audiocassettes, etc.
- Music scores
- Microfilm and microfiche
- Theses and dissertations
- Materials owned by Penfield that are non-circulating. For example:
- Electronic resources
- Course reserves
- Reference materials
- Special Collections materials
- IMC materials
- Textbooks available in Reserves may not be requested.
- Textbooks not available in the library may be requested, but it's not recommended. Here's why:
- The book is likely a textbook elsewhere, so it may not be available through ILL.
- If it is available, there may be a delay before a copy arrives at Penfield.
- The due date may be before the end of the semester.
- The book may be recalled by the owning institution.
Articles and book chapters
- Delivered electronically.
- Average 2-3 business days for arrival.
Books and media
- Shipped to us, and must be picked up in Penfield Library at the Check-Out & Reserves Desk.
- Average 5-7 business days for arrival.
- Some materials may be restricted to in-library use only by the lending library or at the discretion of the Penfield ILL Librarian.
- Distance learners should see the Services for Distance Learners webpage regarding requesting physical ILL materials.
- Most ILL items are obtained free of charge.
- If fees are indicated, undergraduate students will be notified of the cost and given the opportunity to proceed with the request.
- Faculty, emeriti faculty, staff, graduate students, and upperclassman honors students are generally subsidized up to $200 per person per year.
- Books & media: The due date is printed on the book band. Please do not remove the book band.
- Material delivered electronically: This is yours to keep.
- It will be available from your ILL account for a limited time period of 30 days.
- Renewals can be submitted through the ILL system if your material:
- Allows renewals (check the book band)
- Is not overdue
- Has not already been renewed
- The lending library may opt not to renew or to renew for a shorter period than requested. In that case, you will be advised by email and need to return the material as indicated.
See the appropriate Borrowing Page.