You are here
Study abroad mentor
What is a study abroad mentor?
A study abroad mentor is meant to be an approachable and informative resource for students interested in studying abroad. SAMs will provide information based on first-hand, honest experiences from their time abroad. SAMs should be motivated and energetic about study abroad and very willing to motivate other students to study abroad. This position will grant students who have studied abroad an opportunity to share their knowledge, memories, and advice to others interested in the study abroad process.
Potential mentors must have studied abroad and be able to dedicate 10 hours of work per week. SAMs will work in collaboration with the OIEP staff to organize on-campus events (ex. classroom, residence hall, and other on-campus presentations). SAMs will be responsible for organizing a minimum of 15 on-campus presentations, along with other recruitment events. In addition each SAM will have a specific focus, including:
- PR and Outreach (Social Media, Marketing Material, etc.)
- Writing (to help with study statements, scholarship essays, etc.)
- Graphic / Website Design (some familiarity with HTML preferred but not required)
- Campus Outreach (oversee recruitment scheduling)
Volunteer mentors must have studied abroad, be able to dedicate a minimum 10 hours of work per semester, and they must be energetic and enthusiastic about sharing their experience with fellow Oswego students. There are many opportunities on-campus that SAMs can participate in. In additon, SAMs are welcome to create their own events (ex. themed event in their residence hall or student organization). Some examples of the opportunities are below:
- Welcome Reception for returning study abroad and new international students
- Information Tables and Sessions held on campus
- Study abroad orientations for students preparing to study abroad
- Admissions and New-Student Orientation Events
- Distributing posters around campus
- Classroom presentations
- Residence Hall presentations and events
How do I apply?
Please complete the online application below. OIEP will contact candidates shortly after the application deadline to schedule an interview. During the interview process candidates are expected to do a short, 3-5 minute presentation on their study abroad experience(s).