Who Is Covered?

All participants in SUNY study abroad programs are required to have health insurance while overseas. You will automatically be enrolled in and billed for the mandatory SUNY study abroad health coverage through GeoBlue. which includes health insurance coverage AND emergency assistance coverage including evacuation and repatriation benefits. You will receive an email notification from GeoBlue with an individual certificate number approximately 1 month prior to your program start date.

Information on the policy can be found at www.geobluestudents.com

Additional Features

Learn about local health facilities and doctors before you go. Both the U.S. State Department and GeoBlue websites provide guidance in finding medical facilities and doctors abroad. Note that you cannot access the GeoBlue site until you have been enrolled in the insurance and activated an account. If you have questions prior to that please contact our office. Once you are enrolled in GeoBlue set up an account on the GeoBlue site and familiarize yourself with all the services and resources they provide.  

Keep in Mind

Think carefully before canceling any other health insurance you may have because the SUNY study abroad health insurance coverage is usually not in effect if you are in the country of your home residence, therefore, it will NOT cover you in the United States. We recommend that you keep some sort of domestic health insurance in effect in case you need to return home unexpectedly from abroad for any reason.

Non-Oswego students: your home campus may have its own mandatory domestic health coverage rules; please contact the Study Abroad Office or insurance coordinator at your home campus for specific information and/or instructions and we will work with your campus to satisfy their requirements.     

Here is info