You ask, we listen!

Below are questions we get a lot from prospective, and current international students. Did you find a question that you were wondering? Great! Click it to see our answers and/or advise. We also recommend browsing all the questions and read them thoroughly as you will have a better understanding in the area where other international students have been wondering. 

Below is the list of questions we get frequently from students who would like to come to Oswego!

How much is tuition & fees?

Check the Office of Student Accounts page to see undergraduate tuition and mandatory fees for international students under the Out-of-state residents section for the 2021-2022 academic year. A detailed estimate of costs and scholarships for the 2021-2022 academic year is also available.

What are the scholarship options for undergraduate students?

All international students are eligible for the Destination Oswego Scholarship, at $9,000 annually, renewable for 4 years, for a potential total savings of $36,000.

Other than the Destination Oswego Scholarship, Merit Scholarships are awarded to incoming first-year students who have demonstrated outstanding academic excellence with a strong record of classroom achievement and competitive test scores of either the SAT or ACT exam. All first-year student awards are renewable for four years by maintaining a minimum 3.0 GPA.






Presidential $20,000 (for 4 years) 93-97 1250-1360 26-30
Dean $6,000 (for 4 years) 91-94 1170-1230 24-26
Merit $3,000 (for 4 years) 88-92 1120-1210 22-26
What are the scholarship options for graduate students?

You can find Graduate Assistantships, Scholarships, Fellowships opportunities from the Graduate Studies.

Can I work on campus?

Yes, you can work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week. Check out openings as well as the application process.
Please note in order for you to be paid, you need a Social Security Number (SSN). Therefore, once you got a job, please bring an Employment Verification letter to our office, 102 Sheldon Hall during walk-in hours. We will assist you with how to apply for SSN. 

How can I prove my English proficiency?


Minimum Score

Cambridge English Scale C1

Additional scores may be considered on a case-by-case basis; please view this document for a complete list of English proficiency scores that are currently accepted for admission to the university.

What if I fail to prove my English proficiency?

SUNY Oswego offers conditional admission to the university based on the successful completion of our Intensive English Language Program (IEP)For more information, please visit the Intensive English Language Program website or contact

When does the semester starts/ends?

Calendar dates for current and upcoming semesters can be found from the college calendar page. The semester begin date is written as instruction begins and the end date is end of student teaching.

Are you a first time attending student? Here are questions you might be wondering:

What do I need to bring to campus? Where to buy textbooks?

Residence Life and Housing offers the list of things for you to bring and things for you and your roommate to discuss. ISSS also provides a packing list for incoming international students. This list of retail stores and websites will help you find items that are not available in your home country, items that are cheaper in the U.S., and also includes textbook resources.

(J-1 students) I cannot register classes

For J-1 students, there can be instances where your account is on hold or you cannot register desired classes because of pre-requisite courses. Don’t worry, your academic advisor will assist you during the Orientation. What you need to do is bring a list of courses you would like to take including the course number, title and time.  

How can I see my bill?

You should be able to see your bill online at Myoswego.
Please follow the steps in order to view/save your invoice.

1. Log in to Myoswego (click single sign-on) 
2. Go to Financial Services tab
3. Click View/Pay Account
4. Click View or View all to pull up the invoice of your desired term

If you have any inquiry regarding your bill, contact

What are acceptable forms of payment?

SUNY Oswego accepts Cash, Check, Credit Card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express) and international wire transfer. Check out the payment options page to see the entire list of available payment options.

If you have any inquiry regarding your payment options, contact

I need an enrollment verification

Enrollment verifications are free if accessed through myOswego, but are also available at for a small charge. If you are a newly admitted student and you have not started classes yet you will need to contact Admissions to receive enrollment verification. You can email them at or call 315.312.2250.

How can I change my meal plans?

You need to fill out the form and submit it before the deadline. 

I need to defer my admission to the next term

If you are admitted but willing to attend the next term, you need to fill out this Application Update form. You will still be eligible for granted scholarships. Please note that you can defer only one semester. If you would like to defer the second time, you need to go through the re-admission process. 

I need to apply for re-admission

Matriculated undergraduates who have missed a semester (or more) of study at Oswego must complete the Re-admission Form. Your eligibility for the scholarship will be reviewed again.

I need to know my mailing address

Check out the Mailroom department for your dorm’s mailing address. If you live in Hart Hall 101, it will be 15 Union Rd  #101, Oswego, NY, 13126.

Here are helpful resources for current international students and visiting scholars. 

How can I apply for SSN?

Once you are hired, ask your on-campus employer for the Employment Verification Letter. Scan the letter and forward it to the office at isss@oswego.eduFrom there we will provide you further steps. For your information, steps to apply for Social Security Number are outlined here. Please note that you can work without SSN, but you will not be paid until you have SSN. 

I want to travel to Canada, what do I need to carry?

Find out if you need a visa page will help you to find out if you need a visa to enter Canada. Contact us at, if you are required to submit any document that needs to be issued by our office. 

Where can I download my health insurance card?

Easy way to access your account and get the insurance card on you is downloading the UHCSR app. The app is available for android users, as well as iPhone users. A hard copy of insurance card can be also printed and downloaded.

(F-1 students) How can I apply for OPT?

Here's how the OPT process works: First, please click How to Apply for OPT  where you can find all the information you need to apply for OPT. You can also find all the documents that you need to complete that include application instruction, academic advisor's recommendation letter, photo requirements, health insurance waiver, and Form I-765 (OPT application). Once your OPT application and other documents are ready to be reviewed, scan all the documents and send them to us at

Then, you will have a mandatory online meeting with us. Again, all the OPT process are well outlined in How to Apply for OPT.

(OPT) How do I report my employment?

OPT participants are required to report employment information includes employer name, start date, whether the employment is full-time or part-time, and employer address on SEVP portalWhen changing employers, students should edit the end date for the existing employer and add new employer to record. Do NOT type the new employer information over the previous employer directly. 

Also, students will be asked to fill a text field, titled “Relation to Field of Study: Explain how this job relates to the degree that qualified you/or this OPT.” Click the following thread if you are not sure how to discern the direct relationship between the job and the degree. 

(OPT) How can I determine the direct relationship between my job and the degree?

If you are not sure about the relation between the job that you are interested or offered and the degree, we suggest consulting with your academic advisor. Since your academic advisor has deeper understanding of your curriculum, your advisor will be the best person to discuss. 

(CPT) I would like to participate in internship

In order to participate in internship, F-1 holders need to get CPT authorized. Required documents and application process can be found in this CPT Checklist and Acknolwedgement Form. To schedule the appointment, please send us an email at