Minutes of March 2, 2011
Present: Bozak Garii, Haefele, Hemphill, Nichols, Pretzat
- The primary topic of the meeting was continued discussion on advice to faculty who are going to meet with their advisee who was caught cheating.
- resources for faculty advisors should be on our website and there should be a reference to it in any letter sent to the faculty member.
- the resource should include (1) sample email from advisor to student inviting a meeting, per the campus policy; (2) various resources - study skills, time management skills, judicial references, etc.; (3) a description of the purpose of the meeting; (4) sample questions/discussion points for the meeting
- purpose: For the advisor to invited the stuent to a meeting to discuss the student's incident of academic dishonesty. The make the student feel that they have a support system in place while they proceed through and/or after the incident.
- sample email to student: Dear [student], I have been notified that you have been involved in an incident regarding academic dishonest. I want to support you in moving beyond this issue, and would like for us to have a conversation about this situation. Please contact me to schedule a meeting by [date].
- Julie will get a study skills URL from COMPASS and we'll see if we can track down any time management material. We can put both into the primer.
- discussion with student:
- So, what happened? Let the student describe the incident and the fallout. If the student is defensive about it, ask why they think that they thought it was cheating.
- What would have been a better choice?
- How could you have avoided this?
- What sort of skills/resources do you need to be in a better position?
- note-taking skills
- help with Angel
- time management
- What was it that was preventing you from succeeding on your own?
- if the student is appealing (and hasn't already done so), help with the appeal; ensure the student knows how to appeal - see policy
- How to end the meeting?
- an action plan? what should the next steps be for the student?
- how to get back into the good graces of the instructor?
- check back with the student in a few weeks to see how things are going
- The online quiz - we went over questions. Bozak will send comments on to Doug.
- We need more questions, so
For next meeting please bring one new question per category (below) that we can add to the question databank!
- Good Learning and Tips
- Why be Honest?
- College Policy
- Plagiarism - Identifying
- Plagiarism - Avoiding