There two key divisions within Facilities Department -- Facilities Maintenance and Operations (FMO), and Facilities Design and Construction (FDC) -- are responsible for maintaining the condition of buildings and surrounding grounds, maintaining adequate performance of all utilities, and effecting capital improvements.

Service Requests

Facilities Maintenance and Operations comprises those shops that maintain the buildings in support of campus programs. The main contact point for these divisions is the Facilities Operations Center in Building 12. Services of these divisions are secured by submitting service requests per the following guidelines:

1. Routine service requests should be documented on a service request form and submitted to the lead custodian in a building. Requests that the custodial staff do not complete will immediately be routed to the Maintenance Operations Center for action.

2. Urgent or emergency service requests should be reported via telephone to FMO at 312-3200 during normal hours of operation, Monday through Friday, from 7 am to 4 pm.

3. Urgent or emergency requests during the evening hours, holidays, or weekends should be called in to the Central Heating Plant at 312-3117.

4. All fire, safety and snow-removal emergencies during off hours should be called in to University Police at 312-5555.

Capital Improvements

The Office of Facilities Design and Construction coordinates space planning, design and construction of all capital projects funded from off-campus revenue sources. These sources include the State University Construction Fund and the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York.

Smaller scale modifications and improvements, which are typically funded locally, are limited by resources and scheduling opportunities. Locally funded project proposals for this type of work in academic departments should be submitted via a Project Initiation Request to the Office of Facilities Design and Construction, 165 Wilber Hall. Once logged for tracking purposes, locally funded requests will be routed to Facilities Maintenance Operations for action.

Instructional Support and Library Services

Penfield Library, located in the center of the campus, has a large collection of print periodicals, government documents, microform and media materials, journals, books and hundreds of databases. In addition to its holdings, the library provides service in the areas of circulation, collection development, interlibrary loan, library instruction, reserves and special collections.

1. Online Catalog: Penfield's online catalog may be searched from computer stations in the library or from any computer with an Internet connection. Penfield is a pilot library for SUNY'S library management system, ExLibris, which allows library users to search the catalogs of all SUNY libraries from a central database.

2. Liaison librarian: Each academic department has a liaison librarian whose responsibilities include collection development, library instruction and, in general, interpreting library policies. These subject librarians are listed on the library's home page. They can be very helpful to faculty in their departments.

Collection Development: Faculty are encouraged to send requests to purchase library materials to their library liaisons, and to work with them to evaluate the collection in their disciplines. There are separate order forms for books, periodicals, and videos.

Library Instruction: Library faculty work closely with their academic departments to provide course-related instruction for classes with a library research component. At least two weeks before the class, call 312-3566 or 312-4267 to schedule a class.

3. Circulation/Reserves/Interlibrary Loan (Access Services)

Circulation: To check out circulating materials, faculty are required to have a valid college identification card. Most books may be checked out for a 180-day loan period. Items in other collections, such as media or browsing, are loaned according to the policy for those collections. Periodicals do not circulate.

Reserves: Reserve collection is located at the Circulation Desk. Faculty wishing to place materials on reserve should bring these materials to the Reserve Desk any time the library is open. Please do not assign reserve reading until you have received confirmation from the reserve clerk that your materials have been processed and are now available for use. At the beginning of the semester, it may take up to one week to process reserve materials. Items on reserve, both library materials and personal copies, will be listed on the online catalog. All items on reserve must meet Fair Use standards of the U.S. Copyright Law.

Inter-library Loan/Document Delivery: Materials which the library does not hold, in either a physical or electronic format, may be borrowed from another library. Only rarely are fees charged, and only when the lending library assesses a fee. Forms are available online from the library's home page, and journal articles may be e-mailed to your account upon request.

4. Reference

Information Desk: One or more librarians are assigned to the Information Desk for all hours the library is open to assist in answering questions in person or by phone (312-4267).

Internet Stations: There are over 20 public Internet stations in the lobby and a printer for affiliated users. The main purpose of these stations is to support library research. Those without an active campus account may have a librarian sign them on with a temporary account. Off the lobby is a computer lab, maintained by Instructional Technologies, which supports word processing, email and other Internet needs. A campus computer account is required.

RefDesk: An e-mail service is available from the library's home page or direct e-mail to Short, factual questions -- for example, statistics, facts, addresses or phone numbers -- may be requested electronically.

PLUS: Personalized Library Use Service offers students the opportunity to have an individual appointment with a librarian, usually the subject librarian for the discipline in which the student is doing research. Appointments may be requested at the Information Desk in person or by calling 312-4267.

5. Periodicals/Media Desk

Periodicals: Bound copies of periodicals are arranged alphabetically in open stacks on the second floor. Current issues are located adjacent to the Periodicals/Media Desk, with heavily used rules kept behind the desk. Many more journals, over 9,000, are available full text on library databases. These databases may be searched over the Internet by anyone with an active campus computer account.

Instructional Media Collection: These videos are listed on the online catalog. Faculty may reserve videos in person by calling 312-3560 or online from the library's homepage. With advance notice, arrangements may also be made to deliver videos to a faculty member's office or classroom. Circulation is limited to faculty and to those students for whom a faculty member is willing to assume responsibility.

Other Media: The library maintains a circulating collection of videos, CDs and audiocassettes, all of which are listed on the online catalog. There are individual and group listening areas. The microfilm and microfiche collections are housed near the Periodicals/Media Desk with reader/printer machines nearby.

Carrels: A limited number of lockable study carrels are available in the library on an assigned basis. Most are assigned for one semester at a time. The remaining carrels routinely circulate for daily use. Study carrels are intended mainly for students.

6. Other Services

CMC: The Curriculum Materials Center provides print and non-print materials in support of elementary and secondary teaching. Located on the second floor, the CMC collection is included in the library's catalog and most materials circulate.

Juvenile Collection: Also on the second floor is a collection of children's books purchased in support of the curriculum.

Documents: Penfield is a depository library for both Federal and New York State documents, most of which circulate. The document collection is located on the second floor. Only a portion of the collection is included in the online catalog. To find most documents, patrons will need to use online databases. Assistance is available from the Information Desk.

Special Collections: Located in the basement of the library, this area is responsible for the college Archives, the local and regional history book and manuscript collections, the rare book collection and the Oral History Program. Special Collections maintains limited open hours. Its reading room is available to instructors wishing to utilize the collections in their courses. Arrangements may be made for a single class meeting or for a full term by calling 312-3567.

Copy Machines: Public copy machines are available on both first and second floors. They will operate with cash or with a copy card. Money may be added to an individual's ID card; some departments purchase cards for use by their faculty.

Campus Technology Services

Campus Technology Services includes Administrative Technologies, Instructional Technologies, Network Services, Technology Business and Technology User Support.

CTS supports academic computing at SUNY Oswego. CTS facilities, programs and services are designed to ensure student and faculty access to a wide range of academic computing services.

CTS main offices are located in Room 26 Lanigan Hall. Office hours are 8 am to 4 pm weekdays. The main telephone number is 312-3055. Other numbers include the Classroom Support Help Desk at 312-3534 and computer labs in Mahar Hall (Rooms 210 and 211) at 312-3280, Oneida Hall (basement) at 312-3989, Penfield Library (first floor) at 312-1069, Scales Hall (basement) at 312-3141 and Marano Campus Center (Room 218) at 312-2578.

CTS operates four general access computer labs located across campus in academic buildings. There is an equal mix of Macintosh and Windows computers in the labs, and all labs have access to the Internet and to laser printing. The various labs are open over 400 hours per week and for the last four weeks of each semester. Mahar labs also serve as hands-on computer classrooms that can be reserved by faculty for class use. In addition,CTS supports and maintains three campus-access computer labs in campus residence halls furnished by the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

CTS maintains and supports campus video services including campus cable systems, satellite and teleconferencing services and public-access facilities and services for local community cable TV. In addition, CTS also maintains and supports advanced technology classrooms in Lanigan, Mahar, Marano Campus Center, Park and Wilber halls. Mobile technology carts are also available to augment facilities in regular classrooms. Standard audio-visual support is also provided for regular classrooms.

CTS provides extensive support services in the form of student staff in IT computer labs, consulting to faculty, staff and students on computer issues, and free computer courses and workshops.

CTS creates and maintains a variety of documentation in both published and online form. Additional information is available on the CTS website.

Administrative Technologies

Located on the first floor of Culkin Hall, Administrative Technologies houses the college serves and the SCT BANNER Administrative Software package, offering web access for students and faculty.

The office provides support for virtually all administrative departments. Faculty and staff also enjoy support for test scoring arid questionnaire analysis using an NCS Opscan 8 scanner. Class lists via email are offered upon request.

Network Services

Campus networks and off-campus connections to the Internet are maintained by Network Services. The campus has a high-speed fiber optic backbone that currently connects all campus buildings. Ethernet connections are available in faculty and staff offices, labs, classrooms and all residence halls. Students can subscribe to Res Net (Ethernet) services in their residence hall rooms by paying an annual connection fee. Additional Res-Net information (minimum supported computer configurations, application information, etc.) is available online.

Technology Business Services

The Technology Business Services office, located on the first floor of Culkin Hall (Rooms 101 and 105), provides voice and data connections, putting the world at campus users' fingertips. The department provides phone services for all on-campus residents, as well as for off-campus subscribers. Business phone service is also provided to faculty and staff.

Voice mail messages can be retrieved from any touch-tone phone in the world.

The high-speed Ethernet service allows for travel on the information superhighway. With the implementation of expanded Internet connections, subscribers have seen a significant increase in bandwidth One of the benefits of the new phone system is that it creates an “extended campus'' environment for off-campus subscribers. The system allows the opportunity to subscribe to the same phone service as on-campus counterparts.

The personal safety of all students, faculty and staff is of primary importance. Emergency phones are located throughout campus. The emergency phone sounds a distress call that rings directly to University Police. An officer is immediately dispatched to the site. An additional service available to faculty, staff and students is the Security Escort Personal Safety System (a hand-held alarm which comes with a personal transmitter). Subscribers pay a per-semester fee to summon immediate assistance from anywhere on campus. Transmitters are available through the College BookStore.

SUNY Oswego is proud to offer an advanced telecommunications system designed to expand voice and data communications both on and off campus. Any questions on the policies, procedures, or operations of the system should be directed to the Office of Technology Business Services at 312-3039.

Technology User Support

Located in Room 26 of Lanigan Hall, Technology User Support provides a single point of contact to help the campus community with technological issues. Technology User Support assists with hardware and software installation and configuration, networking, and telecommunications issues. For information, visit their website, email or call 312-3456.

International Education and Programs

Located in Sheldon Hall, the Office of International Education and Programs is responsible for the college's study abroad programs, maintaining an information center for students and faculty in areas of interest in international education, and promoting faculty and student exchanges. The office is responsible for incoming international students and exchange visitors holding J-l visas.

Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) in Hewitt Union is responsible for the development, coordination and financial management of all contracts and grants of the college. Externally sponsored projects for research, scholarly or creative activity, curriculum development or services utilizing SUNY Oswego facilities and/or personnel are administered through ORSP, Assistance is available for submitting competitive proposals including comprehensive budget development. All applications for external funds to support these activities must be processed through ORSP to obtain the necessary campus approvals authorizing a project. Faculty and staff members who are interested in obtaining sponsored funds should contact ORSP at 312-2561.

Permanent Collection of Art

Through the years, the college has assembled a collection of original works of art for improving the educational, cultural and aesthetic environment of the campus. Exhibitions of works from the collection are periodically on display in Tyler Art Gallery. Certain parts of the collection are designed primarily for study. When appropriate, individual works are exhibited in offices and other secure parts of campus buildings.

Alumni and Parent Relations

Located in King Alumni Hall, the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations is the focal point for activities of the Oswego Alumni Association. The association includes all alumni, faculty, parents, students and friends of the college, and actively promotes and supports the college through programs for social, educational and cultural enrichment, fundraising for scholarships, legislative relations and other projects as well as an alumni credit card, discount group buying and insurance plans. It also coordinates a publications program featuring the Oswego Alumni Magazine and the Oswego Parents Newsletter. Contact the Alumni Office for more information at 312-2258.

Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)

The college serves as sponsoring agency for RSVP, a program of the federal Action Agency, which coordinates the needs of non-profit agencies with the interests and skills of volunteer senior citizens. The program, located in Rich Hall, provides services for Oswego County. For more information, call 312-2317.

The Office of Communications and Marketing

This office, located at 210 Culkin Hall, coordinates many of the college's external and internal communications. The Office of Communications and Marketing serves as the first point of contact for news reporters and directs reporters to appropriate sources on campus. The office is responsible for preparing and sending news releases to the media to inform the public about the achievements of the college's students and faculty, new programs and other newsworthy developments, News releases publicizing upcoming events that are open to the public are also issued through this office. Information on such events should he made available to the office no later than two weeks in advance.

The Office of Communications and Marketing contributes to internal communications within the campus and publishes the Campus Update, the college community newsletter published online on paydays throughout the academic year, and monthly during the winter and summer breaks, The office also edits such college-wide publications as the college's annual report. For more information on the Office of Communications and Marketing, call 312-2265.

United University Professions, Inc. (UUP)

The New York State Public Employees Fair Employment Act, popularly known as the Taylor Law, grants public employees the right to bargain collectively with their employers. United University Professions (UUP). affiliated with the New York State University Federation of Teachers and the American Federation of Teachers (AFL-CIO), is the bargaining representative for academic and professional employees. For more information, contact Greg Auleta, UUP President, at 312-2109.

Web and Digital Communications Resources

The digital communications group in the Office of Communications and Marketing provides guidance and resources related to departmental web design, policy and accessibility. They may be reached by email at or by calling 312-2265.

SUNY Oswego's Graphic Identity Program

SUNY Oswego's graphic identity, as governed by the Graphic Identity Guide available online offers a unique and unified vision of who we are. It provides a single, easily recognizable signature that covers all our diverse programs. Through steady and consistent use of the identity elements and guidelines established in this guide, we ensure a strong, cohesive look that will project a positive and professional impression to all potential audiences.

SUNY Oswego encompasses several schools, programs and units. It is important that any communication developed for an outside audience to reflect its affiliation with SUNY Oswego. Identification with the university is primary, taking precedence over that of your individual department college or unit.

These guidelines were developed by a 12-member Graphic Identity Committee to ensure a strong, consistent look for every SUNY Oswego published piece. The basic elements of the SUNY Oswego graphic identity system are defined -- the logo (symbol and wordmark), colors and a standardized stationery system. Certain typefaces are recommended for complimentary headlines and body type, but design formats, grammar and style rules are not strictly specified.

These guidelines are intended for all units funded through or by SUNY Oswego, including student organizations or outside agencies that develop materials for any Oswego entity. Graphic guidelines were developed and will be overseen by the Graphic Standards Review Panel.