- legal history of the late imperial China
- social/economic history of the late imperial China
- 1996,"Rural credit and the concept of 'peasant petty commodity production' in Ming-Qing Jiangnan" The Journal of Asian Studies. 55:1.
- 1989: "The small peasant economy in North China: development or underdevelopment?"
- Journal of the Academy of Social Sciences and Humanities, Academia Sinica, vol.2:1. Taipei, Taiwan, ROC.
- 1986: "Pawn-broker" in Yu Tsung-hsien ed. The Encyclopedia of Economics: Economic History. Taipei: Lianjing Chubanshe. pp. 144-153.
- 1985: Study of Pawnshop in Modern China (1644-1937), Taipei: Institute of History, National Taiwan Normal University. History Monograph no. 13.
Awards and honors
1993: The China Times Cultural Foundation Young Scholar Award. China Times Cultural Foundation, Long Island, New York.
1990: The David and Jeanne Tappan Award in Chinese Studies. Humanities Associates, University of California, Irvine.
Ph.D., History, University of California, Irvine
MA, History, University of California, Los Angeles
MA, History, National Taiwan Normal University
BA, History, National Taiwan University
- Traditional Asia
- Modern Asia
- Modern China
- Modern Japan
- 20th Century
- World History
- Society in Late Imperial China
- History in the Age of Computer