- slavery, emancipation, rural middle Atlantic
- race, black manhood
- black migration
- Manhood Enslaved: Bondmen in Eighteenth- and Early Nineteenth-Century New Jersey (Rochester, N.Y.: University of Rochester Press, 2011) (Gender and Race in American History).
- "Threat of a Bondman: Political Self-Fashioning and Christian Empowerment in the Memoir of Quamino Buccau, A Pious Methodist," Slavery and Abolition, v. 29, n. 3 (September 2008): 361-388.
- "'His Disposition Was Not in Any Sense Agreeable': The Making of an Eighteenth-Century Malcontent Northern Slave, 'Old Yombo,'" Contours: A Journal of the African Diaspora, v. 3, n. 1 (Spring 2005): 1-25.
- "Powerful and Righteous: The Transatlantic Survival and Cultural Resistance of an Enslaved African Family in Eighteenth-Century New Jersey," Journal of American Ethnic History, v. 23, n. 2 (Winter 2004): 23-49.
- "Work, Family and Day-to-Day Survival on an Old Farm: Nance Melick, a Rural Late Eighteenth- and Early Nineteenth-Century New Jersey Slave Woman," Slavery and Abolition, v. 19, n. 3 (December, 1998): 22-45.
Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2003
MA, Michigan State University, 1995
BA, Rider University, 1991
- U.S. to 1865
- U.S. Since 1865
- American History Seminar (Resistance in African-American History)
- African-American History/Cinema (Blaxploitation Film)
- Black Manhood in Modern America
- The Black Power Movement
- Segregation to Civil Rights
- Slavery in America