Interested in becoming a Peer Advisor for the 2015-2016 school year?
Please review our First-year Peer Advisement job description.
What is a First-year Peer Advisor?
A First-year Peer Advisor is a student who works closely to provide academic and emotional support to an assigned group of first-year students.
What are the requirements?
- Sophomore, junior or senior standing
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- Commitment to position from August 2015 to May 2016
- Available on dates and times of meetings during fall 2015 and spring 2016
- Attend our Kick Off Training/Reception in April in the Marano Campus Center Auditorium. (a light reception will be served afterwards in the Marano Campus Center Food Court)
What are your responsibilities?
- Support your assigned academic area and associated faculty throughout the academic year.
- Provide first-year students with academic, personal and emotional support throughout their first year at Oswego.
- Help first-year students feel comfortable at SUNY Oswego.
- Assist first-year students with the transition from high school to college.
- Encourage first-year students to get involved in the campus community.
- Make decisions that are in mutual interest of first-year students and the college.
- Act as a resource to help first-year students find appropriate college services.
- Maintain first-year students' confidentiality.
- Maintain contact with first-year students throughout the year.
- Attend and complete all coursework for GST 304. (Course runs throughout both the fall and spring.)
- Complete 120 hours of Peer Advisement related activities throughout the year, 10 of which must be community service.
For more information about First-year Peer Advisement, contact:
Coordinator of New Student Orientation