Interested in becoming a Peer Advisor for the 2017-2018 school year?
Please review our First Year Peer Advisement Expectations
Once you've read the expectations, talk to the First Year Faculty Advisor for the Department your are interested in and complete the 2017-2018 Peer Advisor online application.
What is a First-year Peer Advisor?
A First-year Peer Advisor is a student who works closely to provide academic and emotional support to an assigned group of first-year students.
What are the requirements?
- Sophomore, junior or senior standing
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- Commitment to position from August 2017 to May 2018
- Selection by a First Year Advisor to serve as your supervisor
- Available on dates and times of meetings during fall 2017 and spring 2018
- Attend Trainings , dates and time TBD
What are your responsibilities?
- Support your assigned academic area and associated faculty throughout the academic year.
- Provide first-year students with academic, personal and emotional support throughout their first year at Oswego.
- Help first-year students feel comfortable at SUNY Oswego.
- Assist first-year students with the transition from high school to college.
- Encourage first-year students to get involved in the campus community.
- Make decisions that are in mutual interest of first-year students and the college.
- Act as a resource to help first-year students find appropriate college services.
- Maintain first-year students' confidentiality.
- Maintain contact with first-year students throughout the year.