Interested in becoming a Peer Advisor for the 2017-2018 school year?
Please review our First Year Peer Advisement job description.
Once you've read the job description, talk to the First Year Faculty Advisor for the Department your are interested in and complete the 2017-2018 Peer Advisor online application. .(Appliation will be coming soon!)
What is a First-year Peer Advisor?
A First-year Peer Advisor is a student who works closely to provide academic and emotional support to an assigned group of first-year students.
What are the requirements?
- Sophomore, junior or senior standing
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- Commitment to position from August 2015 to May 2016
- Available on dates and times of meetings during fall 2015 and spring 2016
- Attend our Kick Off Training/Reception in April in the Marano Campus Center Auditorium. (a light reception will be served afterwards in the Marano Campus Center Food Court)
What are your responsibilities?
- Support your assigned academic area and associated faculty throughout the academic year.
- Provide first-year students with academic, personal and emotional support throughout their first year at Oswego.
- Help first-year students feel comfortable at SUNY Oswego.
- Assist first-year students with the transition from high school to college.
- Encourage first-year students to get involved in the campus community.
- Make decisions that are in mutual interest of first-year students and the college.
- Act as a resource to help first-year students find appropriate college services.
- Maintain first-year students' confidentiality.
- Maintain contact with first-year students throughout the year.
- Attend and complete all coursework for GST 304. (Course runs throughout both the fall and spring.)
- Complete 120 hours of Peer Advisement related activities throughout the year, 10 of which must be community service.
For more information about First-year Peer Advisement, contact:
Coordinator of New Student Orientation