SUNY Oswego offers a variety of part-time on-campus jobs to provide students the opportunity to earn money during the school year to make college more affordable. A limited number of students are eligible for the Federal Work Study (FWS) award. To help pay for the costs of graduate school, grad students may apply for graduate assistantships throughout campus.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a limited fund that not all students are eligible for. To be considered for a federal work study position you must:

  • be a current student

  • have a federal work study award on your current Award Notice.

  • maintain full-time status (12 credit hours undergraduate).

If you aren’t sure about your status, go to myOswego, select the Financial Aid tab and click on My Award Information. If you are eligible, accept the award on myOswego. You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office in August that will give you additional instructions. 


Federal Work Study students have a maximum amount they can earn during the academic year, and will be on the FWS Authorization each student receives. Students typically work 4 to 10 hours per week, and may not work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. 


Federal Work Study student employees require an Authorization from the Financial Aid Office. This document will be given to you along with all necessary payroll paperwork once you are eligible to be interviewed for a job position. FWS employees should not begin working until the authorization is completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office, and will not be paid until the authorization is complete.

Federal Work Study timesheet

Federal Work Study timesheets are now on line. If a timesheet is received late, the student's paycheck will be delayed. Late timesheets are processed with the next payroll, two weeks later, your pay will be delayed until then.


Federal Work Study employees may be terminated from their jobs when they have

  • earned their full award
  • withdrawn from school
  • receive additional financial aid
  • at the end of the school year/term during which they are enrolled
  • upon request by the departmental supervisor

Wages and paychecks

  • Students begin employment at the current federal or state minimum wage, whichever is higher, our current starting hourly rate is $14.20.
  • Paychecks are issued bi-weekly on Thursdays.  

Students may have their paychecks direct deposited to an account of their choice.

Non-work study

Even if you aren’t receiving federal work study, many opportunities for employment on campus exist. To be considered for on campus jobs, you must maintain full-time status (12 credit hours undergraduate).

  • Auxiliary Services: This on-campus independent, not-for-profit corporation hires more than 650 student employees. 

  • Residence Life and Housing: You can live and work on campus with positions including resident assistants, desk attendants, recycling technicians and computer technicians.

  • Campus Events and Conference Services: Many opportunities exist for helping with a variety of campus activities, from building managers to customer service to intramural supervisors or assistants to lifeguards and much more.

  • Campus Technology Services: With technology a key component of college life, CTS hires for a range of student employees working with the Help Desk, telecommunication, computer labs, networking and instructional support.

  • Penfield Library: Our student assistants  work in all areas of the library, both public and non-public service areas, including Check- Out and Reserves, Interlibrary Loan, Government Documents, Special Collections, and Administration.



Contact the Payroll Office, 409 Culkin Hall for forms and instructions

Wages and paychecks

  • Students begin employment at the current federal or state minimum wage, whichever is higher.

  • Raises are given at the discretion of the department.

  • Paychecks are issued bi-weekly on Thursdays.  

Students may pick up their paychecks in the Student Accounts Office, 408 Culkin, or have them direct deposited to an account of their choice.


Graduate assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are available in many departments and offices throughout campus. Each position can give you an opportunity to gain practical work experience that complements your academic goals. Most assistantships offer both a stipend and a tuition scholarship, while some may only offer tuition. You must be a graduate student in order to apply to an assistantship.

The college’s Graduate Assistantship Board offers new and forthcoming job postings, and instructions to apply for each position.