Diverse School Opportunities

Field experiences in real school settings are woven throughout your program to promote meaningful opportunities and engage you in a real world and creative contexts. If you are looking for a field experience different from the suburban or rural school districts you may be placed into, we encourage you to complete your assignments in Syracuse/Rochester/Utica city school districts, New York City or abroad.

Student Teaching in an Urban Setting

Teachers are in high demand throughout New York State and the country’s major cities. With more teaching opportunities in these settings, it may benefit you to get additional experience and create connections for possible job openings. The Field Placement Office allows you to request placement in the Syracuse, Rochester, Utica and New York City School Districts.

Apply to teach in New York City

In addition, to complete your application materials in TK20, NYC applicants must fill out the "NYC Teaching Application."


  • The SUNY Urban Teacher Education Center assists Oswego candidates who wish to fulfill their student teaching requirements in New York City schools and serves as vital resources for research on urban education.
  • The Center for Urban Education and the Field Placement Office support a variety of placement opportunities in Syracuse and New York City

For more information about opportunities for field experience and/or student teaching in urban settings, contact:

Ms. Nichole Brown, Director of the Field Placement Office
nichole.brown@oswego.edu, 175 Wilber Hall, 315.312.3098


Dr. Pat Russo, Director of the Center for Urban Education
prusso1@oswego.edu, 310 Park Hall, 315.312.2632

Student Teaching Abroad

SUNY Oswego has partnerships with overseas academic institutions in England, Australia, and New Zealand. Specific information on these programs is available through the Office of International Education and Programs (Sheldon Hall, 315.312.2118) and in the C&I Advisement Center (213 Hewitt Union Wilber Hall, 315.312.5641).


Please read the directions and submit the "C&I Department Overseas Application" to the Curriculum and Instruction Department, the Field Placement Office and the Office of International Education & Programs Office. Visit the International Education Office website for their application and other pertinent information including deadlines, costs, and requirements.