We are very proud that the School of Education at SUNY Oswego is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE), 2010 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 500, Washington DC 20036 (202.366.7496). This accreditation covers all of our initial teacher preparation programs and advanced educator preparation programs.
NCATE accreditation is the standard of excellence in teacher education. A rigorous external and impartial review by education professionals has determined that the School of Education at SUNY Oswego meets state and national standards in providing:
- a broad liberal arts education;
- an in-depth study of the content to be taught;
- a foundation of professional knowledge on which to base decisions;
- well-planned clinical experiences in P-12 schools working with diverse students;
- an evaluation of readiness to practice through many measures of performance; and
- the ability to use knowledge in practice to promote P-12 student achievement.
Research has shown that teacher candidates who graduate from NCATE-accredited institutions are better prepared for initial licensing and advanced board certification. Many states have reciprocity agreements based on graduation from NCATE-accredited schools like SUNY Oswego.
SUNY Oswego’s NCATE accreditation means that our candidates, programs, and faculty are having a positive impact on P-12 student learning in our schools. That’s the real significance of the NCATE symbol.