How to make referrals to the Counseling Services Center:

The Counseling Services Center may be of assistance to a faculty or staff member who is concerned about a student's well-being. If you believe that a student is in crisis (or seems to be heading towards crisis) please feel free to call us at 315.312.4416 to consult with a counselor. Our office manager is usually available to answer calls weekdays between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (with a break at noon for lunch). After office hours, you can utilize our on-call service by dialing 315.312.4416, prompt #2. In case of an emergency, please call University Police at 315.312.5555.

A situation or problem becomes a crisis when a person's traditional and emergency methods of coping with and solving problems are no longer working effectively. Symptoms may impact functioning on a variety of levels:

  1. Cognitive: The person's thinking is impaired; he/she is often confused, unable to concentrate and has difficulty with judgment and problem solving.

  2. Affective: The person usually feels anxious, tense, depressed, overwhelmed, helpless and/or hopeless. These feelings interfere with effective problem solving.

  3. Behavioral: You may observe the person acting in ways that are not ordinary and may be self-defeating.

Faculty and staff can help by recognizing the crisis and facilitating a referral. You are not expected to act as a counselor; however, listening to the student with compassion may help you to assess their situation and make the referral process go more smoothly. Some suggestions include:

  • Talk in a private place, if possible

  • Remain calm and talk softly

  • Call the CSC after assessing the need for a referral

Tell the office manager if it is an emergency. If the office manager does not know that this is a crisis situation, the student will be scheduled in the next available appointment slot which matches the student's time availability. If the office manager is aware that the student is in crisis, it may be possible for the student to meet with the crisis counselor on the same day. If the student is disoriented or anxious, you may want to walk with him/her/zir to the CSC (located in the Walker Health Center building).

CSC staff can help faculty and staff by:

  • Consulting with you regarding any concerns you may have about a student, and how to best approach the student

  • Helping you develop ways to manage your emotions about the student

  • Developing a counseling relationship with a willing student

It is always a huge help for us and the student if faculty or staff members are willing to walk the student over to our office for that initial contact. It makes for a smooth transition and helps the student feel supported.

What the CSC cannot do:

  • Call a student or go to his/her/zir/their room

  • Call a student's parents

  • Give follow-up information regarding a student to faculty/staff (unless the student signs a release form)

  • Write letters of support for students who have not been working with a counselor in an on-going therapeutic relationship

How to obtain a referral for off-campus services:

It’s easy! Call our office at 315.312.4416 and let us know what you need. We have excellent relationships with providers in the Oswego community and are happy to provide you with a list of off-campus services for mental health services, medication management, and substance abuse treatment.